3.78 cGPA 504/505 MCAT / TX Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Umyo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to all the Texas MD schools and you may receive some interviews. You are fine for DO schools so apply to at least 10. For OOS MD schools consider:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
New schools that open in 2017 (Roseman, Henricopolis, etc.)

Apply to all the Texas MD schools and you may receive some interviews. You are fine for DO schools so apply to at least 10. For OOS MD schools consider:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan

Thanks for those schools, I'll definitely check them out and add to my OOS list!

And cool, so I might have a slight chance of interviews in TX?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you study a lot for your second MCAT attempt? Why did it drop down instead of improve?

Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan

I tried to access the Henricopolis med school site, and there wasn't any. Are you sure it is starting next fall?

I tried to access the Henricopolis med school site, and there wasn't any. Are you sure it is starting next fall?
It is listed as an applicant school on the LCME website but when it will start accepting applicants is unknown. Keep checking during the application season for an announcement.

Did you study a lot for your second MCAT attempt? Why did it drop down instead of improve?

I did. I was scoring well on the practice. On the official scored one I received a 513.

I've had migraines since I was a child when viewing computer screens or electronic devices for long periods of a time. Extended exposure can trigger migraines for me and that day it just happened to right after the lunch break. But, alas, no excuses. I only have myself to blame! I could have voided, so it's on me. Gotta work with what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I did. I was scoring well on the practice. On the official scored one I received a 513.

I've had migraines since I was a child when viewing computer screens or electronic devices for long periods of a time. Extended exposure can trigger migraines for me and that day it just happened to right after the lunch break. But, alas, no excuses. I only have myself to blame! I could have voided, so it's on me. Gotta work with what I have.

Are you open to retaking the test? If you can improve by 6-7 points, it would open up doors to potentially all MDs in TX (except Dell, UTSW, Baylor).

Are you open to retaking the test? If you can improve by 6-7 points, it would open up doors to potentially all MDs in TX (except Dell, UTSW, Baylor).

I could re take it. But that's the 3rd time, how would that look to schools? And that would mean not applying this cycle.

Do you think it's better to not apply, re take, and apply next year? Or still apply this year and if I don't get in, re take MCAT and go in as re applicant?

Also, is Dell really that high requirements? Good buddy of mine got in 31/3.6

I could re take it. But that's the 3rd time, how would that look to schools? And that would mean not applying this cycle.

Do you think it's better to not apply, re take, and apply next year? Or still apply this year and if I don't get in, re take MCAT and go in as re applicant?

Also, is Dell really that high requirements? Good buddy of mine got in 31/3.6

I retook 25, 27 and then scored a 31 (32 superscore) on my 3rd attempt. I had 3 interviews and was accepted to my top choice UTMB during Feb Match.

A 3rd retake won't harm you but make sure you are prepared to really significantly increase your score. Dell is extremely competitive. Your friend was incredibly lucky to get accepted with those stats. I know people who had 4.0/ 38s who were invited for interview but weren't accepted.

If you decide to take a 3rd MCAT, definitely take a gap year and enrich your profile with more clinical volunteering, shadowing, etc. Don't rush your 3rd attempt.

I retook 25, 27 and then scored a 31 (32 superscore) on my 3rd attempt. I had 3 interviews and was accepted to my top choice UTMB during Feb Match.

A 3rd retake won't harm you but make sure you are prepared to really significantly increase your score. Dell is extremely competitive. Your friend was incredibly lucky to get accepted with those stats. I know people who had 4.0/ 38s who were invited for interview but weren't accepted.

If you decide to take a 3rd MCAT, definitely take a gap year and enrich your profile with more clinical volunteering, shadowing, etc. Don't rush your 3rd attempt.

Thanks for the advice and congratulations on UTMB, that is incredible.

May I ask what your GPA was?

Also, how much clinical volunteering should I have done? I currently have 600+ hours recorded!

Thanks for the advice and congratulations on UTMB, that is incredible.

May I ask what your GPA was?

Also, how much clinical volunteering should I have done? I currently have 600+ hours recorded!

600 hrs is MORE than enough! Just remember to use your experiences as intricately and intimately as you can in your interview answers. My GPA was 3.9 so it was right there with UTMB accepted averages.
All the best to you!