3.79/3.78 MCAT=? What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically I just wanted to see what people though about my app for 2011.

I have a 3.79, 3.75 BCPM, and I haven't yet taken the MCAT yet.

I have a practice mcat (#3), but the score is basically meaningless (31) since I haven't taken the real thing yet.

I have a year or so of research (one communication published in a chemistry journal).

100 hours as a volunteer at the local hospital

100 hours volunteering in a homeless shelter

a week shadowing a doc (my biggest worry, it is only one doc, and only for one work week ~ 40 hours)

a few other extracurrics, but nothing special.

So what do you think?

Obviously I am not the cream of the crop, but what do you think my odds are?

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPAs are very good. Hopefully you have more than a year of clinical experience in gaining that 100 hours. Other than the research, which is average, and the nonmedical volunteerism which is good to see, I'd say that your ECs are sparse. I think you could use more shadowing. I don't see teaching or leadership, sports or hobbies, or artistic endeavors mentioned. If you are set on applying now, I suggest you continue to build your ECs through the application year so that you have pertinent activities to mention in update letters and at interviews. If worse comes to worst and you end up reapplying, your application will be stronger in a year. You might consider waiting a year to apply, after you've beefed up the Experiences to improve the chances of only needing one application cycle.