MD & DO 3.79 cGPA (Canadian) and 23R MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

formandvoid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

A short summary:

- I did my MCAT last year and as you can see it didn't turn out very well. I studied it for less than a week because of a cluster of examinations and parental pressure to apply. I wanted to void after the examination, but made an awful decision to just let it out.

- I did not apply with these scores last year and decided to pursue a Masters of Science of which is well underway.

- I did fairly well in my undergrad. I had a medical issue for one of my courses that caused me to miss my final examination, despite adequate documentation, the school refused to grant a rewrite and I ended up with a 23% in one of the courses. My registrar was more than happy to help write a letter that would explain this. Despite that, I maintained 4.0 in all my other courses. So it really is a clear deviation from my real performance but the reasoning may impact my chances of getting in (maybe they will think I'm not physically capable, but the condition has been thoroughly resolved). I have not yet calculated my converted GPA (could someone provide a good resource to do this for Canadian schools?).

- I plan to redo my MCAT this June and have begun studying as of now (what's a good resource for the self-studying student? I have ExamKrackers, PR and Kaplan books).

- I want to pursue an MD/PhD at a top tier medical school, but I want to be realistic. If I can get a mid 30s MCAT what are my chances of landing such an acceptance?

- Also, should my MCAT scores not turn out well for some reason, what are my options in terms of DO schools? And should I apply to both at the same time in such a situation?

- In terms of ECs, I am a part-time music instructor (obtained my associate's degree) and have been teaching for around 6 years.

- In terms of research, I have done 5 research studentships including 1 third year thesis, and 2 fourth year theses, and have published 1 paper with multiple poster and conference appearances.

Thank you so very much for all your time and help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: