3.7cGPA, 3.8sGPA, 28 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlo12b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im in my junior year planning to apply this cycle. I feel my MCAT score (8PS,9VR,11BS) is holding me back and I am having trouble deciding if I should try to apply this cycle or take a gap year and retake MCAT.

My EC are decent at best. I have 100 clinical hours, should have 200 by the time I graduate. These hours are through my schools EMR organization. Im very active in my sports club holding a vice president and now president position. I will hopefully be doing research starting this summer under faculty. My community service hours are lacking however I plan on beefing that up over summer.

I am a florida resident. Looking for some advice on what to do. Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should take a gap year. It seems like you have a lot of activities planned for the summer and it'd be a lot less stressful to explore these opportunities fully through a gap year and be able to talk about them extensively in your essays and interviews. You don't want to be rushing your first application.

Work on increasing your GPA during your senior year which will help compensate for your MCAT of 28. A gap year would be a good idea. Apply to all the Florida schools, including the 2 DO schools, as well as at least 10 OOS private lower tier MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with taking an extra year to develop your research and extracurricular activities, maybe even retake the MCAT (new version) if time allows. It's never a good idea to rush...if you don't get accepted this coming cycle because of your quite weak application, you will be a re-applicant in the next cycle, which some schools still stigmatize. Good luck!

A 28 makes an M.D. acceptance difficult but not impossible. I'd advise applying to 10-15 well fitting M.D. schools and a bunch of D.O. schools as backup.

Your stats are very competitive for D.O. One of my friends had your exact same stats and got accepted to both Touro-NY and NYCOM, both great D.O. programs.