3.7GPA 32MCAT go to carribbean or try once more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loungebunny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an international applicant with 3.7 GPA(undergrad-top 20), 32 MCAT, 3.7 GPA (Masters-ivies), 2 publications, and standard extracurricular activities.

I applied to over 20 schools this cycle and received only one interview.

I am wondering whether it would be naive to apply to U.S. MD programs again, given how I fared this past cycle.
Now that my GPA is pretty much solidified in terms of numbers, would boosting MCAT give me any hope?
Would trying Carribbean be better in my case (as an international student)?

Members don't see this ad.

hmm your app looks pretty good. Where did you apply? And did you hear back from the school you interviewed at?

hmm your app looks pretty good. Where did you apply? And did you hear back from the school you interviewed at?

I thought my list was pretty safe with very little *out of reach* ones. The one school I interviewed at gives out notifications in late March, but I am trying not to put all my eggs in one basket. I'd like to plan ahead...

Dartmouth
Oakland
Michigan State U
Wayne State
AECOM
Rosalind Franklin
Case Western
Emory
Boston U
Loma Linda
Jefferson
Medical College of Wisconson
Mayo Medical School
NYMC
NYU
Penn State
Uhawaii
Cornell
Creighton U
Saint Louis
SUNY Upstate

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, with the exception of Case, Emory, Mayo, NYU, and Cornell (unless you interviewed here?), I think that's a somewhat solid list. Did you apply early? Any glaring red flags you can think of? I do know it's tougher for international applicants. Would you consider DO? It's a much, much better bet than Carib.

I feel like your best bet would be applying for a green card... You're very qualified, but it's a tough tough world out there for international applicants. Where are you from, exactly? Is there a reason you can't go to medical school in your country?

Yes :) My application was verified in August. I completed all the secondaries by the first week of September. I have slight reservation about DO since it isn't really recognized outside of U.S.

I am Canadian and my stats aren't actually good enough for CDN schools (*sigh*).

^ Not sure if serious.

Reapply of course. Add DO.

What type of stats do Canadian schools want?
What are your ECs like?

I if remember correctly, Michigan State's DO school has a program specifically set aside for Canadians.

^ Not sure if serious.

Reapply of course. Add DO.

What type of stats do Canadian schools want?
What are your ECs like?

Most Canadian schools want at minimum 3.8 GPA and most will accept a 32 MCAT, but it would be on the lower end of the spectrum and many want at minimum 11 VR.

Yes :) My application was verified in August. I completed all the secondaries by the first week of September. I have slight reservation about DO since it isn't really recognized outside of U.S.

I am Canadian and my stats aren't actually good enough for CDN schools (*sigh*).

Most likely reason why you didn't get many interviews is because you applied late. Apply again and try sending in your application on the first day if possible.

Caribbean is a terrible gamble. You would be much better off including DO schools in your next application cycle. By 2020 there will be more US graduates than residency slots unless something changes. You will be applying for residencies in 2019 if you get in next cycle. Even US grads will be in trouble by then. For Caribbean grads, it will be a non-starter. Your chances of finding a residency will be almost zero if you go to a Caribbean school.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424127887324096404578356544137516914.html

DO is recognized in most countries. For example, DOs have full practice rights in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Osteopathic_Medicine

Reactions: 1 user