3.8/35, Cooke-cutter ECs? School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nOchemallday

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Lol so this is the worst way I've seen to present a list so far... But it is thorough. Might get some more bites if it was a bit more visually organized

Lol so this is the worst way I've seen to present a list so far... But it is thorough. Might get some more bites if it was a bit more visually organized
lol thanks, I've editted the OP to hopefully be more user-friendly

Members don't see this ad :)
OOOooo much better. (covert bump) Good job on those stats btw

Was hoping for help with school list.
3.8+ c/sGPA, 35MCAT (14/10/11)
ECs in MDApps, but in brief:
Student athelete - Ultimate Frisbee (650hrs) 2yrs
Volunteer/Transport in PM&R (~100-150 hours); Just under 1.5 yrs
Research Assistant, Analytical Chemistry lab (500hrs); 1yr
Founder and Coordinator - tutoring program for teammates on the Ultimate Frisbee team. (Also a chem tutor in the program ~5hr/wk, maybe 80hours total); established Fall 2013
Student leader at the soup kitchen, role as leader: 1.5 yrs
volunteer local soup kitchen (240hrs); 1.75yrs​
Crappy fast food job(x2) - 3.5yrs (stopped summer after freshman year of college), ~3500hrs (should I only list hours while in college?).
Honorable mention and published in my UG's anthology for an independent STEM paper (even though technically it was a history paper).
Dean's list all but first quarter Freshman year.
EDIT: No shadowing experience. Plan to have some before this application cycle begins.
I've made my list mostly from other WAMC 3.8/35s. Tentative list is in (at-this-time) preferred order. Most other schools whose medians are within 4 LizzyM points of mine have been checked and eliminated based on primary care mission/odd curriculum/greater than 8 hours from Philly (would prefer not to fly home, but am open to suggestions). I think I'm aiming for about 15-18(?) total. Safety/Target/Reach
Alright here's the list so far:
UPenn
Pitt

Brown
Johns Hopkins
UNC

T/S-Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Wake Forest
Albert Einstein
Boston University

Penn State
Georgetown
T/S-University of Vermont

Drexel
Commonwealth, PA
New York Medical College

Other schools I have looked at but am unsure of:
Duke
Case Western
Giesel at Dartmouth

T/R NYU
Rochester (PBL curriculum ONLY; I think?)
Virginia Tech Carilion (PBL curriculum ONLY; I think?)

T/S Hofstra North Shore
Frank H. Netter at Quinnpiac
Albany Medical College
Eastern Virginia Medical

Iffy
Cooper Medical School -Only opened 2 years ago (No class has graduated yet; no Alumni network)
Suggestions from others:
T/R
UVA - ~40% OOS Acceptance
T/R Vanderbilt – Borderline too far (Nashville, KY)
Emory – Too far (Georgia)
More NY schools?
Thanks in advance!

Hey @nOchemallday

Seems like @sat0ri couldn't add much to your epicness :p @Goro @gyngyn are good with verifying your school lists but I would avoid Brown, UNC and Eastern Virginia (schools with low OOS or weird types like Brown that favors their own UGs). Your stats and ECs look good (get some shadowing if you can). Apply early and broadly and you should get in somewhere.

Edit: Beware of Boston and Georgetown with 10K+ apps. But you should have no problem with schools like Drexel, Jefferson, Temple etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck, D-Bacon! Own this cycle!

:zip:

Reactions: 1 user
Do you really have a cooke-cutter EC? Now that's unique!

You should be fine just have your essays thoroughly edited, apply early, and do practice interviews.

It's a crapshoot though so add in a few more safety schools that you would be willing to attend.

"Seems like @sat0ri couldn't add much to your epicness"

@Agent B sorry tone doesn't always transfer well into writing, so I'm literally just confused what you mean. I was pretty upfront that I thought his/her stats are amazing though--even, say, epic.

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking about swapping UVA for UNC, but it would probably count as Target/Reach. The OOS acceptance rate of ~40% seemed better than ~15% at UNC. Maybe I'll just add UVA to the list and keep UNC, but 17 is already pushing the bank.

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking about swapping UVA for UNC, but it would probably count as Target/Reach. The OOS acceptance rate of ~40% seemed better than ~15% at UNC. Maybe I'll just add UVA to the list and keep UNC, but 17 is already pushing the bank.

You'd keep UNC despite a 15% OOS rate (plus likely an expensive OOS tuition)? Well, whatever suits you dude. You could apply to Northwestern instead

You'd keep UNC despite a 15% OOS rate (plus likely an expensive OOS tuition)? Well, whatever suits you dude. You could apply to Northwestern instead
Temple and Penn State (my state schools) are the cheapest on my list at $44k/yr (Actually, $44,454 Temple and $44,896 Penn State). UNC is actually the 3rd cheapest school on the list, even with OOS rates. And by the logic of 15% OOS acceptance rate, no one OOS should apply. I'm leaning towards keeping UNC and just adding UVA. I'll figure out a way to swing the app costs.

Northwestern is more expensive (marginal, but still) and also too far. It's also slightly above my stats and I don't want to overextend into reach territory.

EDIT: UNC OOS tuition: 46,378

Temple and Penn State (my state schools) are the cheapest on my list at $44k/yr (Actually, $44,454 Temple and $44,896 Penn State). UNC is actually the 3rd cheapest school on the list, even with OOS rates. And by the logic of 15% OOS acceptance rate, no one OOS should apply. I'm leaning towards keeping UNC and just adding UVA. I'll figure out a way to swing the app costs.

Northwestern is more expensive (marginal, but still) and also too far. It's also slightly above my stats and I don't want to overextend into reach territory.

EDIT: UNC OOS tuition: 46,378

If you're somehow confident enough to get into UNC, by all means go for it. The 15% who do get in probably have strong ties to the region or have something incredibly unique that was eyecatching (similar to how 10th percentile people succeed). But it's your call.

Try NYMC if you're really interested

Nashville, KY? - Vandy is in TN

love the student athlete part though! GL

I think it's a fine list. Aim high!

Was hoping for help with school list.

3.8+ c/sGPA, 35MCAT (14/10/11)

ECs in MDApps, but in brief:
Student athelete - Ultimate Frisbee (650hrs) 2yrs
Volunteer/Transport in PM&R (~100-150 hours); Just under 1.5 yrs
Research Assistant, Analytical Chemistry lab (500hrs); 1yr
Founder and Coordinator - tutoring program for teammates on the Ultimate Frisbee team. (Also a chem tutor in the program ~5hr/wk, maybe 80hours total); established Fall 2013
Student leader at the soup kitchen, role as leader: 1.5 yrs
volunteer local soup kitchen (240hrs); 1.75yrs​
Crappy fast food job(x2) - 3.5yrs (stopped summer after freshman year of college), ~3500hrs (should I only list hours while in college?).
Honorable mention and published in my UG's anthology for an independent STEM paper (even though technically it was a history paper).
Dean's list all but first quarter Freshman year.
EDIT: No shadowing experience. Plan to have some before this application cycle begins.

I've made my list mostly from other WAMC 3.8/35s. Tentative list is in (at-this-time) preferred order. Most other schools whose medians are within 4 LizzyM points of mine have been checked and eliminated based on primary care mission/odd curriculum/greater than 8 hours from Philly (would prefer not to fly home, but am open to suggestions). I think I'm aiming for about 15-18(?) total. Safety/Target/Reach

Alright here's the list so far:
UPenn
Pitt

Brown
Johns Hopkins
UNC

T/S-Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Wake Forest
Albert Einstein
Boston University

Penn State
Georgetown
T/S-University of Vermont

Drexel
Commonwealth, PA
New York Medical College

Other schools I have looked at but am unsure of:
Duke
Case Western
Giesel at Dartmouth

T/R NYU
Rochester (PBL curriculum ONLY; I think?)
Virginia Tech Carilion (PBL curriculum ONLY; I think?)

T/S Hofstra North Shore
Frank H. Netter at Quinnpiac
Albany Medical College
Eastern Virginia Medical

Iffy
Cooper Medical School -Only opened 2 years ago (No class has graduated yet; no Alumni network)

Suggestions from others:
T/R
UVA - ~40% OOS Acceptance
T/R Vanderbilt – Borderline too far (Nashville, TN)
Emory – Too far (Georgia)
More NY schools?

Thanks in advance!

I think you should add some more "reach" schools. Possibly Columbia, Cornell, Yale, Mount Sinai, NYU or UChicago, I dont think you need as many safeties