3.8 cGPA, 3.75 sGPA, 517 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjdgisrbs

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my MCAT score (first time taker), and it turned it out much higher than I expected (517)! As a result, I am revising my school list and would sincerely appreciate any feedback. Due to my interest in pediatrics, I've largely focused on choosing schools with great pediatric programs.

General info about myself:
recent graduate with dual science degrees and a minor (3.8 cGPA, 3.75 sGPA)
517 MCAT (127:130:130:130)
300+ hrs hospital volunteering/20 hrs Mexico clinic volunteering
~80 hrs clinical research
~2 years research (2 labs during school and summer)
preceptor for science courses
club leadership positions
several awards
minimal shadowing hours

Current list:
Penn
Pitts
Baylor
Stanford
Colorado
Michigan
Duke
NYU
UCSF
Mayo
Cinnati
Tulane
Arizona
Loyola
U of Washington

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have access to MSAR? If no, why not?
Yes, I've been using it to create my list. However, I was hoping I could receive some feedback on whether I should add/remove some schools

Yes, I've been using it to create my list. However, I was hoping I could receive some feedback on whether I should add/remove some schools
Did you see that University of Washington only takes people from a specific region that doesn't include Arizona?

I understand that University of Washington mostly accepts WWAMI applicants, but I thought it would be worth a shot due to their pediatric program. If this is not feasible, do you have any recommendations for what I could replace it with?

Only 15% of people in AZ get to stay in state for med school(one of the lowest rates in the country)
You have around 5-6 schools or so you can go in saying you have a reasonable shot at getting a II at right now
Even with a good application having this few "targets" in a unlucky state isn't ideal
Schools like Cincinnati and Tulane on your list that are OOS friendly and get <11k apps are good examples of the type to add( i.e. Something like SLU). Add a half dozen like that it'll help a lot
If you aren't a URM or applying MD/PhD you're just lighting money on fire applying from a non WWAMI state to U of Wash total waste

I understand that University of Washington mostly accepts WWAMI applicants, but I thought it would be worth a shot due to their pediatric program. If this is not feasible, do you have any recommendations for what I could replace it with?

You can make it to a stellar pediatrics residency from any school provided you do well and score highly. Some schools to look into to round out your bases include Emory, Rochester, Einstein, UVA, Case Western, Ohio State, etc. USC-Keck has a very highly ranked children's hospital and is a good target school for you.