3.8 cGPA 3.78 sGPA 28 MCAT URM (AA Female) Need Help With OOS List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tara0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already applied to all schools in Texas.

MCAT is 9-10-9

I think I have pretty decent ECs (Scribed in ED, worked in home health, started a few businesses). I submitted my app in June with one school, Baylor, so I could get verified... do I still have a shot? I have MSAR and my pre-med advisor said not to bother with a school if your score doesn't fall in the listed range :(.

I qualified for FAP so I can apply to 13 OOS schools.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ummm...heck yes you should apply! Apply to any school you're interested in -- Arizona, California, New York, Florida, Michigan -- all these states have more than one med school! Apply wherever you would actually attend med school, just apply to private schools in any state you'd attend, I think you have a good application

Members don't see this ad :)
I've already applied to all schools in Texas.

I qualified for FAP so I can apply to 13 OOS schools.

Thanks!

Just because you can and it's free doesn't mean you should -- Under what circumstances would you decide to go to one of those OOS schools?

- If you don't get accepted in state - which seems unlikely since your stats are good. And if all 9 TX medical schools give you a 'pass' wouldn't the OOS schools wonder why?

- Or if you get such a big fat scholarship that the tuition difference is negligible. That's one BIG FAT scholarship. ;-) Were your stats that good?

I'd suggest you relax. Maybe polish your secondaries. Prepare for your interviews. Breathe. Texas will come through for you --

Just because you can and it's free doesn't mean you should -- Under what circumstances would you decide to go to one of those OOS schools?

- If you don't get accepted in state - which seems unlikely since your stats are good. And if all 9 TX medical schools give you a 'pass' wouldn't the OOS schools wonder why?

- Or if you get such a big fat scholarship that the tuition difference is negligible. That's one BIG FAT scholarship. ;-) Were your stats that good?

I'd suggest you relax. Maybe polish your secondaries. Prepare for your interviews. Breathe. Texas will come through for you --

Exactly

Thanks guys, my parents think I should go out of state because they feel like it I need a change of scenery and shouldn't stay in Texas ("you need to get out and see the world blah blah blah") but I keep telling them how much cheaper tuition is. I guess I'll just apply to a few long shots and just focus on getting into a school in Texas.

Thanks again!