3.8 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 34 MCAT, good ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuronerd24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a FL resident attending a top 40 undergrad.

34 MCAT (11 PS, 11 VR, 12 BS)
3.8 c/s GPAs

My EC's include...
~200 hours shadowing
~900 hours as ER scribe
~200 research hours
~200 hospital volunteer hours
other random leadership/honors stuff.

Here is my list as of right now... Let me know what you think! What should I take out?

FIU
UCF
UMiami
USF Morsani
UFlorida
Georgetown
Jefferson
Tulane
Boston U
Emory
Vanderbilt
NYU
Tufts
U Pittsburgh
Mt Sinai
WashU
Northwestern
Weill Cornell
Yale

Maybe List:
Loyola
Duke
Harvard
UChicago
GW
Rush
Drexel
Einstein
UNC
UCSF

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I honestly think your list looks really good with a great number and range of schools!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much!! Isn't 25 too many schools, though? Any you'd take out?

I have similar numbers/ECs to you and I personally wouldn't apply to Harvard/Yale/WashU.

I have similar numbers/ECs to you and I personally wouldn't apply to Harvard/Yale/WashU.

I don't think if you are applying to a handful of top schools 25 is too many.

Those top schools are definitely their reach schools but their chances are not hopeless.

If you want to weed down your list take out a few of the high tier schools you are less interested in and a few of the lower tier schools you are less interested in. No one can make that call but you:)

Congrats on a solid application and what I think is a good list:)

Why? Because too much of a reach? I've been considering taking Harvard off...

I don't think if you are applying to a handful of top schools 25 is too many.

Those top schools are definitely their reach schools but their chances are not hopeless.

If you want to weed down your list take out a few of the high tier schools you are less interested in and a few of the lower tier schools you are less interested in. No one can make that call but you:)

Congrats on a solid application and what I think is a good list:)

Thanks! I have a few higher tier schools I would take off, but I'm nervous about taking lower tier ones off... You really think I can? I've heard that getting into school is so random and I don't want to accidentally get in nowhere :\

Why? Because too much of a reach? I've been considering taking Harvard off...

Yep, but I'm pretty pessimistic about reach schools, so take it with a grain of salt :p

Thanks! I have a few higher tier schools I would take off, but I'm nervous about taking lower tier ones off... You really think I can? I've heard that getting into school is so random and I don't want to accidentally get in nowhere :\

Just do what is comfortable for you! I know I had the same worry last year:) I was just thinking of how you could weed down your list and think your app is solid. Definitely take a lower tier off if you would not attend given it was the only school you were accepted to:)

Hi! I'm a FL resident with a 34 MCAT, and 3.8 c/s GPAs.

My EC's include...
~200 hours shadowing
~900 hours as ER scribe
~180 research hours

Here is my long list as of right now... Let me know what you think! What should I take out?

Chicago Med School at Rosalind Franklin U
University of Miami
Morsani College of Medicine (USF)
University of FL
New York Medical College
George Washington
Rush
Drexel
Tulane
Boston U
Emory
Vanderbilt
Loyola Chicago
New York U
Mt. Sinai
Wash U
Northwestern
UChicago
Pitt
UNC
Harvard
Weill Cornell
Duke
Yale
UC San Francisco

Thank you!

Why not add the rest of the FL schools? They're going to be a lot cheaper than your private or OOS schools and they're good safeties. Check out some of the reapplicant threads with similar stats (yes they do exist), many of them made the mistake of applying too top heavy.

Just do what is comfortable for you! I know I had the same worry last year:) I was just thinking of how you could weed down your list and think your app is solid. Definitely take a lower tier off if you would not attend given it was the only school you were accepted to:)

Hmm, I think I'd attend any of these if it was the ONLY school I was accepted to... I'll take a closer look, though. Thanks!

Why not add the rest of the FL schools? They're going to be a lot cheaper than your private or OOS schools and they're good safeties. Check out some of the reapplicant threads with similar stats (yes they do exist), many of them made the mistake of applying too top heavy.

Like which FL schools? UCF, FIU, FAU?
Do you think my list is too top heavy?

Also, where can I find these reapplicant threads? Sorry I'm new to this site.. :X

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely add all Florida schools... I didn't know this being from Minnesota. I feel like the easiest way I've found old threads is searching the school name I'm interested in on sdn.

I would definitely add all Florida schools... I didn't know this being from Minnesota. I feel like the easiest way I've found old threads is searching the school name I'm interested in on sdn.

Ok, thanks! Only thing is that I really don't want to go to school in Florida... I grew up here and went to school in state for undergrad :\

Your state schools are your best bet.... the best safety school... so if you would rather take another year off and reapply than spend the next four yearsbin Florida don't apply to any Florida schools...

Okay, so if I apply to all FL schools (adding 4 more to my list), which should I take off? Isn't ~30 schools too many?

Okay, so if I apply to all FL schools (adding 4 more to my list), which should I take off? Isn't ~30 schools too many?

From what I counted it would be a little less than 30 but I counted fast:)

Another HUGE PLUS about attending your state school is its often cheaper. Since those schools are safety schools replace them with maybe a few of the safeties that get like 20000 applicants xuz those can be xrapshoots too and often have high debt. And I'd it makes you nervous instead take out some of the reach schools you are not asbinterested in and that don't match your interests well...

From what I counted it would be a little less than 30 but I counted fast:)

Another HUGE PLUS about attending your state school is its often cheaper. Since those schools are safety schools replace them with maybe a few of the safeties that get like 20000 applicants xuz those can be xrapshoots too and often have high debt. And I'd it makes you nervous instead take out some of the reach schools you are not asbinterested in and that don't match your interests well...

Okay, thanks! And yeah it's possible I miscounted because I've added a few to my personal list since I made this post.. It's much easier to add to the list than take away! D:

Hmm.. as a Midwesterner , I wouldn't mind being stuck in Florida for a few more years :p You look good for the two IL schools (don't know much about UChicago) that you are applying to. Just a little note on Rosalind Franklin.. North Chicago doesn't mean north shore, its actually a suburb in Lake County 30 or so miles north of Chicago.

Okay, thanks! And yeah it's possible I miscounted because I've added a few to my personal list since I made this post.. It's much easier to add to the list than take away! D:

Haha yea its really easy to add schools. It will cost a few thousand but in the end it'll be worth it for you!!!!

Added to my list... Any new suggestions? I really feel like I need to narrow this down!

I would take off/replace UNC unless you have a strong bias towards living in NC or the school itself. Super OOS-unfriendly, so you wouldn't be very competitive there with your stats.

I would personally get rif a few of the lower tier schools outside of Florida, whichever you are the least interested in.

Thanks! I changed it again with your suggestions.. I think this might be my final list. What do you think? It's 19 schools and a little top heavy, but I think I like it!

Last edited:
Thanks! I changed it again with your suggestions.. I think this might be my final list. What do you think? It's 19 schools and a little top heavy, but I think I like it!

With all those state schools it can be top heavy! It looks good! If it were me though if you are not seriously interested in Loyola for specific reasons but just another safety I would replace it with more competitive school. It seemed a little our of place to me.

With all those state schools it can be top heavy! It looks good! If it were me though if you are not seriously interested in Loyola for specific reasons but just another safety I would replace it with more competitive school. It seemed a little our of place to me.

Sorry, I'm confused. You said it's too top heavy, but I should remove Loyola and put a more competitive school? Can you elaborate? Thanks.

Also I've been considering removing UChicago because it's in a bad part of the city. Might take off Harvard too since it's just SUCH a reach. :/

I meant to say with so many state schools you are lucky in that your list can be a bit top heavy.

Actually I think uchicago is in a really cool part of Chicago. Some of the other Chicago schools are in the subarbs.

I meant to say with so many state schools you are lucky in that your list can be a bit top heavy.

Actually I think uchicago is in a really cool part of Chicago. Some of the other Chicago schools are in the subarbs.

Coming from the Chicagoland area and visiting that area of the city (and hearing about it in the papers), let me just say that Hyde Park is definitely one of the worst areas to have a university in terms of student safety (you hear regularly about people getting shot in that area). I've never gone to UC and can say nothing about the school itself, but its neighborhood is definitely not the best.

Also, it's not exactly in the heart of the city--it's pretty far south. Northwestern's med campus is right in the heart of the city, Loyola's is in a western suburb.

Why does Loyola seem out of place? I thought it was relatively similar to the other schools... I'm afraid I'm missing something? Also, I thought it would be more of a target than a safety.

Above I posted my maybe list along with my current list. Let me know if you think I should switch any back and forth, please!

I just thought kinda geographically and all your other oos private schools are kinda reaches.

Hoping to submit on Tuesday! Any last comments before I finalize my list??

I kind of want to add GW or Gtown because I LOVE DC, but I'm so put off by how they're one of the most-applied to schools and how they also have some of the highest average debt stats.... Hmm

Deciding to add Georgetown... I just love DC too much. Hope it's not a waste!

I have a very similar resume and the only people who have told me not to include the "reach" schools are...other pre-meds. Med students, docs, and my advisor have all told me to keep them on because, while not the most competitive applicant to those schools, there is still a chance to get in. One doctor I work with went to Yale and is fresh off his residency and he is the one pushing me to apply to the top schools because he feels my resume is strong enough. The only thing that should stop you from applying is money. I have enough saved up so that I can afford to apply to all the schools I want to, there are 26 on my list, so I am taking the chance on the possibility of getting into one of my reach schools.

Oh, and definitely apply to the Florida schools. USF, UMiami, and UF both have great programs. I know a few people at UCF and they love it there, and I know a few docs from NSU and they are some of the best Ive worked with. Plus you have a better shot at getting in being a resident. I want to get out of here too, but its only 4 extra years, plus you can always get clinical rotations out of state.

I have a very similar resume and the only people who have told me not to include the "reach" schools are...other pre-meds. Med students, docs, and my advisor have all told me to keep them on because, while not the most competitive applicant to those schools, there is still a chance to get in. One doctor I work with went to Yale and is fresh off his residency and he is the one pushing me to apply to the top schools because he feels my resume is strong enough. The only thing that should stop you from applying is money. I have enough saved up so that I can afford to apply to all the schools I want to, there are 26 on my list, so I am taking the chance on the possibility of getting into one of my reach schools.

Thank you! That's very helpful and gives me some hope :) Also, I'm not sure which list you looked at.. I kept changing it, but the one in my very first post is my most recent. It includes almost all FL schools!

Also, I really respect that you're being honest with me. :) I can usually tell when people are trying to get me to take off a school because they're applying to it... but that's really just rude and bad karma! I am a deep believer that helping others brings good things to oneself as well. Good luck with everything!

Hm...to be honest 200 hours research is pretty low compared to most that will apply to the likes of Harvard and Yale and what not in my opinion. Is this hours that include presentations or conferences or anything? Any publications? Doing one summer of research for most of these candidates I am sure puts in like 500. Over the course of 2-3 years much more, but having these top heavy ones is worth a shot, but probably a big reach unless I am missing something.

I don't have any publications, and I know it'll look relatively weak to top research universities like that. It was completed over a year, so at least it shows I stuck with it? I know Harvard is a HUGE reach, as are Wash U, Yale, and probably a few others. However, I love each of those schools a ton and wouldn't hesitate in going if I got into one of them!

Do you think I should still take off a top school or two, though? I'm very concerned about being top heavy, but my LizzyM is w/in 5 points of each of these schools so I figured it was worth a shot...

Maybe I'll look at the list of top primary care schools considering I definitely have more experience on that end of the spectrum.

Last edited:
I'm also considering adding Jefferson. I'd like to keep a few main cities as options, and I just realized I had taken off all Philly schools. However, this would put me at 21 schools and I want to stay below 20... Should I add it? Which can I take off?

Ive stopped reading what most people say on here. If the person has "Pre-Medical" as their status, they really have no idea what theyre saying. The people being advised should not be giving advice, and if they say you have no shot at a school its probably just to sike you out. The only people whose advice you should actually consider are current med students, doctors, admission reps from the programs, and your advisor. When I present my resume to the those four sources I am told that I am a shoe in, if that exists in the world of applying to med school, to most of my schools and have a legitimate shot at the top schools. I post that same resume on here and I have a bunch of fellow pre-meds telling me that I have no shot. So take in any advice given on here, but in the end remember who you should be really listening to in terms of where to apply..

Personally my list consists of 29 schools ranging from Harvard and Hopkins all the way down to the likes of LECOM. It is a lot, but I've saved the money as to afford the application fee's and, mathematically speaking, it raises my chances. I want to make sure that if everything works out I have my pick of where to go, but if things go wrong I have enough mid-level and "safety" schools as to make sure I can still get in somewhere.

Ive stopped reading what most people say on here. If the person has "Pre-Medical" as their status, they really have no idea what theyre saying. The people being advised should not be giving advice, and if they say you have no shot at a school its probably just to sike you out. The only people whose advice you should actually consider are current med students, doctors, admission reps from the programs, and your advisor. When I present my resume to the those four sources I am told that I am a shoe in, if that exists in the world of applying to med school, to most of my schools and have a legitimate shot at the top schools. I post that same resume on here and I have a bunch of fellow pre-meds telling me that I have no shot. So take in any advice given on here, but in the end remember who you should be really listening to in terms of where to apply..

I realize you think you are making a great point, but really no one's advice is as great as you describe except for members of an adcom at the particular school you want to go to. Med students, doctors in general, even advisors are pretty worthless in truly gauging how you stack up. These "pre-meds" may have acceptances and may be relaying advice they have received from reputable people. To say pre-meds have no idea I am sure seems logical, but in reality it is a misguided generalization.

Who would be more reputable than people currently going through med school, or ones who have already been through? I'd imagine those accepted get their information from the same sorts of people I listed. Not sure who else there is. The docs I work with sit, or have sat, on adcoms and review applications for their former schools. I can't imagine a better source than that...

Who would be more reputable than people currently going through med school, or ones who have already been through? I'd imagine those accepted get their information from the same sorts of people I listed. Not sure who else there is. The docs I work with sit, or have sat, on adcoms and review applications for their former schools. I can't imagine a better source than that...

Woahhh this thread turned into some rant not really helpful to the op. I'm going to review your first post again.

I never used this forum much when I applied last year and feel like it could have helped me and after being recently accepted to my dream school after an intense cycle I to feel like I have valid insight especially to those whose stats are similar to mine.

Hi! I'm a FL resident with a 34 MCAT (11 PS, 11 VR, 12 BS), and 3.8 c/s GPAs.

My EC's include...
~200 hours shadowing
~900 hours as ER scribe
~200 research hours

Here is my list as of right now... Let me know what you think! What should I take out?

Florida International Univ
U Central Florida
UMiami
U South Florida Morsani
UFlorida
Georgetown
Jefferson
Tulane
Boston U
Emory
Vanderbilt
Loyola Chicago
NYU
Tufts
Mt Sinai
WashU
Northwestern
Weill Cornell
Duke
Yale
Harvard

Maybe List:
UChicago
GW
Rush
Drexel
Einstein
Pitt
UNC
UCSF

Thank you!

Its smart you are applying to your state schools. You have agreat shot there. I would maybe replace a superreach like Harvard or one of the schools that get a million appslike Georgetown with a more target school like Pitt .

And if you are nervous about your chances don't limit yourself to only 20 schools.

I don't know what this year looks like for you or when you plan to complete secondaries, but you may want to consider removing reaches or safeties with notorious/absurdly long secondaries that you're not extremely fond of. I applied to 20 schools and ended up using this rather crude method to cut out two applications that saved me a lot of time (which I ended up using to polish the other apps instead!)

Its smart you are applying to your state schools. You have agreat shot there. I would maybe replace a superreach like Harvard or one of the schools that get a million appslike Georgetown with a more target school like Pitt .

And if you are nervous about your chances don't limit yourself to only 20 schools.

You think Pitt is a target? I was worried that it would be a huge reach... And I think I am going to add it because my family really wants me to apply there.

Also, I've been considering taking Harvard and Gtown off, but I just love Boston and DC so much.. eek! Thanks for your advice!