3.8 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 34 MCAT, good ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know what this year looks like for you or when you plan to complete secondaries, but you may want to consider removing reaches or safeties with notorious/absurdly long secondaries that you're not extremely fond of. I applied to 20 schools and ended up using this rather crude method to cut out two applications that saved me a lot of time (which I ended up using to polish the other apps instead!)

My schedule isn't insanely busy in the fall (working part time and taking 12 credits). What would you say makes a "notorious/absurdly long secondary"..? I havent really looked at them yet, so I'm not sure what's an average length.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would be more of a target/slight reach (only because their average MCAT is slightly higher than yours), but it is by no means a huge reach. Also, that is considering you explain all of your activities well and was really involved/passionate about them as you don't give much detail about them.

I think it would be more of a target/slight reach (only because their average MCAT is slightly higher than yours), but it is by no means a huge reach. Also, that is considering you explain all of your activities well and was really involved/passionate about them as you don't give much detail about them.

Yeah, I definitely was and I think my PS is shaping up to be great. I avoided providing details on this site to maintain anonymity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just warn you about applying to Jefferson. They have incredibly specific LOR requirements, so make sure you check before wasting an application on them.

My schedule isn't insanely busy in the fall (working part time and taking 12 credits). What would you say makes a "notorious/absurdly long secondary"..? I havent really looked at them yet, so I'm not sure what's an average length.

Some requires 3-4 long-ish essays on topics so specific that they really can't be used on any other apps (often times you can double dip). You'll quickly figure out which ones are like that when you start checking them out.

I would just warn you about applying to Jefferson. They have incredibly specific LOR requirements, so make sure you check before wasting an application on them.

What are they? I looked online and all I could find is the following:

"We prefer to receive a recommendation from a preprofessional committee. If there is no such committee,
letters should be provided by individual faculty members (one letter each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics
and Humanities, if possible)."

That doesn't seem very strict. I have a committee letter, but that probably isn't what you're referring to...

What are they? I looked online and all I could find is the following:

"We prefer to receive a recommendation from a preprofessional committee. If there is no such committee,
letters should be provided by individual faculty members (one letter each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics
and Humanities, if possible)."

That doesn't seem very strict. I have a committee letter, but that probably isn't what you're referring to...

Yes that is what they're referring too. And it is strict if you don't have one.

Okay, so I'm at 22 schools. I want to get it to 20 or below and submit on Monday... Thinking of taking off FIU (long secondary, safety, not sure if I'd want to live in Miami and not be at UM...) and Harvard (super reach obv). Maybe Gtown too. I love DC, but not enough to be at a school with one of the highest average debt stats in the country... Maybe USF instead of FIU because their secondary is even longer.

Changed the list again (see first post). I took off Duke for their weird curriculum, and Harvard for being a super reach. I'm planning to hit SEND in the AM so shoot me any of your last thoughts! :)