3.8 cGPA 3.8 sGPA projected MCAT score of 36 African American Full time medical technologist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microkid1992

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying to medical school next year(2016) I am an African American , NJ resident. I graduated my Fairleigh Dickinson/Rutgers Joint Medical Laboratory Science degree program in 2014. I have a GPA of 3.8 (both science and cumulative) and my most recent practice MCAT score( a couple days ago) was the equivalent of a 36. I work full time as a medical laboratory scientist(AKA medical Technologist) at New York Presbyterian hospital and have been there for almost 6 months(although I will get more experience with time ). More specifically I work in the clinical chemistry department where we run different routine and stat diagnostic tests so that doctors can have the evidence necessary to diagnose/treat patient. In addition to work have many ECs.

I have been active in the church for many years(since at least middle school. 2005 to be exact) regarding community service including philanthropic events such as 30 hour famine(in which we fast for thirty hours and raise money and food for the food pantry for starving communities) and Habitat for Humanity(we spend a week away from home doing mission work building houses for those not fortunate enough to have shelter. 2006-2010. And I will most likely be going back this year as an adult leader rather than a youth).

In 2008-2009 I was a youth church deacon which involved volunteering in the nursing home and volunteering with older patients at a hospital. And providing meals for the homeless on Wednesdays.

I am a team player and that shows because I played team sports (football and basketball) since I was 8 and it ended my senior year of high school. Despite the fact that I am no longer an athlete, the spirit of team play is still with me.

I also was a Martial artist for 12 years before college. It taught me how to focus, work hard and self discipline.

I sang in my high school choir and still sing in my church choir. We do benefit concerts for elderly patients and those who are in a veterans hospitals.

In college I was still very involved. I was the president of two clubs while being treasurer of the chemistry club.

I volunteered tutored students in organic chemistry at Farleigh Dickinson university for 1 academic year and was a TA for organic chemistry laboratory for 1 academic year.

I am a brother of Sigma Chi and I was in the philanthropy committee for 2 years all while being philanthropy chair for 1 of the 2 years. As the philanthropy chair I coordinated many community service events such as doing walks for Autism Speaks, going to different schools and doing after school latchkey programs for kids with disabilities. Also every year we would help the nearby food bank stock up for thanksgiving so that less fortunate families could eat meals. We also raised money for cancer research.

I was in the Earth day committee as a volunteer chair for 2 years for Fairleigh Dickinson university where I recruited and directed volunteers to their duties and also while pitching in myself. These duties dealt with the Earth day fair and professors of science giving lectures involving ecology.

I also did 30 hours of doctor shadowing in college (but I would like to get more hours in so do any of you have any suggestions on how to get more experience while working full time? Thanks in advance).

When I went to Rutgers/UMDNJ to do my clinical portion of the Medical Laboratory Science degree, I got a 4.0 in the program ( courses include a year of clinical chemistry, a year of hematology, clinical microbiology, and Immunohematology/blood banking).

I was a member of the student leadership council from 2013 to 2014. We helped set up school events for shrp and represented careers in science for high school students in Newark.

I am a trained phlebotomist and practiced phlebotomy in an outpatient clinic at Robert Wood Johnson Hospital as part of my senior year.

I did a year of clinical research following a case study of a liver cancer patient who had campylobacter fetus bacteremia.

I along with three other colleagues of mine am the recipient of the 2014 Research Award at Rutgers SHRP.

I am also a recipient of the 2014 Rutgers SHRP academic excellence award.

In addition, I am the recipient of the 2014 Outstanding Achievement award in Allied health.

In 2013-2014 I was the student representative of the American society For Clinical Laboratory Science. In which we I helped manage events like a tricky tray for the Children's Miracle Network. I also went to Washington DC to discuss health care issues with state legislators and congressmen and the impact it can have on patient care.

I am currently the Student Forum Chair of ASCLS and I am doing the tricky tray again for the children's miracle Network. And I am currently working on a project that will bring continuing education credits to those in laboratory science. I am also on the 2015 NYP clinical laboratory professionals committee in which we educate patients and other hospital staff on how laboratory medicine affects patient care for a week in April.

All my life i have been doing things to help others. I feel like my next step towards serving the community is in medicine. It is my passion to help patients. I want to use my knowledge to be able to develop a correct diagnosis so that I can treat the patient and save his/her life.

Sorry this is so long but I want to know any good schools I have a chance of getting into and if I even really have a shot at. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be wary about using projected scores, especially since the new MCAT hasn't been given yet. Back when the old MCAT was around, getting a 36 on the AAMC practice exams wasn't a guarantee to get a 36 on the real thing, although the majority of test takers on SDN got within +/- 2 points of their practice exam average. However, this is a little different. There's a lot of uncertainty in the test prep material for the new test since none of the question writers at Kaplan/TPR/Examkrackers have actually SEEN a new MCAT yet.

If you can really get a 519 to go along with your 3.8, you've got a fighting shot for any school in the country.

Reactions: 1 user