3.8 cGPA 31 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sir T

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all,

Thanks in advance for taking time to look over my post. I wanted your advice on my school list and whether to take a gap year to retake my MCAT etc.

Stats:

Virginia resident, Neuroscience major, attending a top 10 public institution
3.8 cGPA / 3.73 sGPA / 31 MCAT (11/9/11)

ECs:

50 hours biology tutoring
300 hours clinical volunteering
~40 hours shadowing (Neurosurgery and neurology)
~350+ hours judicial committee
1300+ hours research in microbiology lab and neuroimmunolgy lab
-Research grant for year long project and also poster presentation
-Poster presentation at neuroscience symposium

Leadership:

-Recently selected for leadership position in medical volunteering organization for next year
-Founding father of fraternity
-Leadership position of judicial committee for two years

Personal statement was about my passion for languages, what I learned from research and shadowing, and difficulties minorities encounter in modern medicine due to cultural and language barriers.

School list:

Reaches:

UVA
Vanderbilt
Duke
Columbia
Cornell
UPitt
Northwestern
Mayo
Einstein
NYU
Boston University
University of Virginia (instate)

"Targets":
VCU
Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS)
V Tech
Tufts
Dartmouth
U Maryland
Georgetown
Loyola
Drexel
Temple
Tulane
Emory
George Washington

Frankly, I was expecting a 34 or 35 on my MCAT which explains why this list has a lot of reaches. But that raises another question if I should take a gap year and retake with the hopes of getting around a 34 and 35 to apply to the higher schools.

Thanks for your feedback
All of your OOS reaches are pretty OO reach. Luckily, your targets look good(except maybe the george's and U Maryland). Only you know if the possible admittance to one of your reaches is worth the risk that you will do no better on the MCAT.

Gyngyn,

Thanks for the advice. With that being said, do you think its worth to take a gap year for? Or to just apply to my target schools.
On another note, would achieving a 34/35 MCAT set me within substantial reach for the indicated "reach schools," taking my entire application into consideration.

Thanks