MD 3.8 cumGPA, 4.0 sciGPA, 39 MCAT ok ECs Cali resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crowtine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying thank you to everyone who takes the time to help me out. I know that the worries I have are much better than the problems of many others. I hope that no one perceives that I am trying to brag or anything of the like. Keeping that in mind, let me get started:

Personal Details/School History
I grew up in a very underserved/economically disadvantaged area but am not a URM.

Academics
Biology major
3.7+ cumGPA with upward trend
3.8+ BCPM
39 MCAT

My primary concern is that I have the numbers for top schools/California, but not the research that the typical applicant on SDN has that everyone gives to green light for applying to these schools. How much will having no lab research affect my application? Also, another fear is that if my research is weak for California schools, will OOS friendly schools for which I am above the 90th percentile on numbers pass me up because they think I would not matriculate there (I know that my stats are not godly, I am not saying this. This fear was actually planted in me while perusing these forums and seeing others saying that many schools will assume that they are my safety and thus not extend me an interview since I am also OOS and thought not likely to matriculate)? If no, then do you believe that I should simply apply to all OOS friendly schools that I am interested in, regardless of the 90th percentile for MCAT and BCPM GPA?

Thanks again to anyone who can help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your ECs. Play up the patient contact in your experiences. The translation experience is a plus. I'll let gyngyn comment on the lab experience, or lack of. But my suggestion is to aim high in CA.

My primary concern is that I have the numbers for top schools/California, but not the research that the typical applicant on SDN has that everyone gives to green light for applying to these schools. How much will having no lab research affect my application and should I even bother applying to top 20 schools that are outside of California? Also, another fear is that if my research is weak for California schools and other top schools, will OOS friendly schools for which I am above the 90th percentile on numbers pass me up because they think I would not matriculate there (I know that my stats are not godly, I am not saying this. This fear was actually planted in me while perusing these forums and seeing others saying that many schools will assume that they are my safety and thus not extend me an interview since I am also OOS and thought not likely to matriculate)? If no, then do you believe that I should simply apply to all OOS friendly schools that I am interested in, regardless of the 90th percentile for MCAT and BCPM GPA?

I think your ECs. Play up the patient contact in your experiences. The translation experience is a plus. I'll let gyngyn comment on the lab experience, or lack of. But my suggestion is to aim high in CA.

Thanks for the response Goro. What did you mean to say when you said, "I think your ECs?" Also, if you don't mind, what would be your opinion on applying to OOS schools that are not as research focused but for which I am above their normal stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ooopps! I emant " I think your ECs are fine!"

If the OOS school is public and you're above avg, then go for it, especially if the school/sate is nearby. The more above avg your are, then the wider your net should be. Keep in mind that some schools are still very geographically-baised, so even if you're from next door IN, and you have a 4.0/40 MCAT, do not apply to SIU.

Thanks for the response Goro. What did you mean to say when you said, "I think your ECs?" Also, if you don't mind, what would be your opinion on applying to OOS schools that are not as research focused but for which I am above their normal stats?

Ooopps! I emant " I think your ECs are fine!"

If the OOS school is public and you're above avg, then go for it, especially if the school/sate is nearby. The more above avg your are, then the wider your net should be. Keep in mind that some schools are still very geographically-baised, so even if you're from next door IN, and you have a 4.0/40 MCAT, do not apply to SIU.

Thanks for the advice! But, is there a reason why you pointed out OOS public schools? Are private schools more likely to reject for above average stats?

Nope, just the opposite. OOS private schools uncommonly have in-state biases. You're thus fine for most other MD schools, except, say,t he research powerhouses.

Thanks for the advice! But, is there a reason why you pointed out OOS public schools? Are private schools more likely to reject for above average stats?

Reactions: 1 user