3.8 GPA, 28 MCAT, Help please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AuroraH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

My MCAT score breakdown is (8 Verbal and 10 in the sciences) from July 2. I am trying to figure out my school list.

NY Resident.
I have leadership, work experience, and clinical experience.

-Work as Pharm Tech.
-Research in Psychology, and Physiology (3 different labs). I have a poster presentation and an award for one of them. (Over 1000 hrs total)
-Leadership for 2 different Clubs.
-Volunteering in Hospital (110 hrs)
-Shadowing (Dermatology, Geriatrics, Surgery) (100 hrs)
-Volunteering for Non-Profit for over 3 years*very unique experience* (200+ hrs)
-Volunteering in Nursing Home for a few months (30 hrs so far)
-Teaching Assistant in 2 different courses for over 4 semesters.

Hobbies: Raquetball, Singing (was a part of Chorus), etc.

Going to be in GAP year this year.

I am applying to both DO and MD schools but I need help with my list of MD schools.

Thank you for your assitance :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys.

My MCAT score breakdown is (8 Verbal and 10 in the sciences) from July 2. I am trying to figure out my school list.

NY Resident.
I have leadership, work experience, and clinical experience.

-Work as Pharm Tech.
-Research in Psychology, and Physiology (3 different labs). I have a poster presentation and an award for one of them. (Over 1000 hrs total)
-Leadership for 2 different Clubs.
-Volunteering in Hospital (110 hrs)
-Shadowing (Dermatology, Geriatrics, Surgery) (100 hrs)
-Volunteering for Non-Profit for over 3 years*very unique experience* (200+ hrs)
-Volunteering in Nursing Home for a few months (30 hrs so far)
-Teaching Assistant in 2 different courses for over 4 semesters.

Hobbies: Raquetball, Singing (was a part of Chorus), etc.

Going to be in GAP year this year.

I am applying to both DO and MD schools but I need help with my list of MD schools.

Thank you for your assitance :D

I would say use the MSAR and focus primarily on schools that take your MCAT score as their 10th percentile. I've always thought of it this way. If I am at the 10th percentile for MCAT then I need to be absolutely awesome in the other areas which you are doing fine. This does put you in many of the low tier schools for MD. Focus on new schools too. One issue is that if you are applying now you are a little behind the crowd (for MD). So start working fast and get things in ASAP.

For DO you are absolutely fantastic. You are above average on your MCAT and your GPA is fantastic alongside your EC.

Good Luck this cycle!

I would say use the MSAR and focus primarily on schools that take your MCAT score as their 10th percentile. I've always thought of it this way. If I am at the 10th percentile for MCAT then I need to be absolutely awesome in the other areas which you are doing fine. This does put you in many of the low tier schools for MD. Focus on new schools too. One issue is that if you are applying now you are a little behind the crowd (for MD). So start working fast and get things in ASAP.

For DO you are absolutely fantastic. You are above average on your MCAT and your GPA is fantastic alongside your EC.

Good Luck this cycle!

I have everything sent in I'm just adding more schools now and waiting to be verified. I already sent the AACOMAS :)

Good luck to you too :) Thanks!