3.8+ GPA, 3.8+ BCPM, 28 or 504 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curious24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
what med schools did you apply to?

i would definitely apply to a few DO schools

Reactions: 1 user
Just because you got secondaries doesn't mean you will get interviews. You are really getting sort of uppity about DO schools and students. If you only want MD you shouldn't have applied to DO and you should have retaken the MCAT before you applied. Now, if you are not accepted, you will be a reapplicant.
But yes, withdraw from DO if you absolutely will not attend one if accepted.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few people on here that can probably answer your question about effects of withdrawing DO apps before secondaries. @Goro @Faha

With a 504 MCAT, you should have some DO schools on your list. Beggars can't be choosy.

Secondaries are often a tax on the hopelessly naive, if not pathologically optimistic.

Hello, I have applied this cycle to MD and DO. I submitted in June primaries for MD and DO. Had tons of secondaries for MD--recently finished. I am second guessing the DO apps. I feel that if I don't get into any allo programs I may want to try again for MD by retaking MCAT. I realize I didn't prepare properly for MCAT, and should have waited as I didn't have some courses that are tested, focused on content too much instead of passages/tests. I worked so hard in UG to get the grades I did, and feel obligated to give myself one more chance at MD if I don't get it. My GPA is 3.8+ for both without grade replacement---and no offense to DO students but some have 3.3-3.5 GPA's with tons of grade replacements...I felt like I worked way harder than this to get my GPA where it is.

As of now haven't submitted any DO secondaries--so is it okay to withdraw apps? I don't want to blacklist myself from DO programs in the future--I have no problem with them. But even DO students have told me go MD if you can--then if not, go DO. I want to follow this advice, as it seems residency and life is easier as an MD student. For example no OMM, no 2 board exams comlex and USMLE etc. Will it look bad having submitted primaries but withdrawing before submitting secondaries for DO programs? Of course I assume this isn't nearly as bad as the alternative which is submit secondaries for DO, possibly get accepted somewhere and then turn down an acceptance. That could be deadly I have heard, so want to avoid that. I realize as of now I have roughly a 60% chance of getting MD this cycle--so a coin flip basically. Definitely don't have my hopes up. Thanks for any advice.

@Goro he wants to know if it will be held against him if he withdraws from DO this cycle and then has to reapply DO later. Read is first paragraph again. I told him to just withdraw DO if he wouldn't go if accepted.

The DO schools don't communicate with each other in the way that MD schools do. So OP would only have issues with the schools he directly applied to.

@Goro he wants to know if it will be held against him if he withdraws from DO this cycle and then has to reapply DO later. Read is first paragraph again. I told him to just withdraw DO if he wouldn't go if accepted.

Sounds like someone who graduated from VA, and wants to apply to TX.