3.8, Last Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WWR2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.8 GPA (BCPM and cumulative)
MCAT January 2015
Graduating May 2015
Applying June 2015

The following reflect the hours I will accumulate by application season. My main question is whether or not my limited non-clinical volunteer experience will hold me back?

~500 hours of leadership in 2 student organizations
~1100 hours of paid teaching and lab TAing
~1200 hours of research with 3 poster presentations in 2 different labs
~1000 hours of paid ER scribing
~200 hours of volunteering in hospital (clinical)
~140 hours of office volunteering for MDA (nonclinical)
Research paper (not bench research) published in state-wide database

I would love to get into a MD/PhD program or any research-based institution but understand that I have to be realistic. My practice exams (although not the real thing!) are between 34 and 38. When I get my MCAT score I will focus more on a tentative school list but the major purpose of this post is to gauge how my application will be if I keep up with what I'm doing but still only get about 100-150 hours of non-clinical volunteering. Thanks for any help. :)

Also, I have an entire semester (about 20 hours) of Ws from community college. Parents divorced, had to find a job and somewhere to live, did, went back the next semester and then transferred. Don't know how this will be viewed either.

Members don't see this ad.

For application purposes I think 100-150 hours will be fine if you start now.

Your W's will be okay as well due to your reason.

Thanks so much for the input! Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.8 GPA (BCPM and cumulative)
MCAT January 2015
Graduating May 2015
Applying June 2015

The following reflect the hours I will accumulate by application season. My main question is whether or not my limited non-clinical volunteer experience will hold me back?

~500 hours of leadership in 2 student organizations
~1100 hours of paid teaching and lab TAing
~1200 hours of research with 3 poster presentations in 2 different labs
~1000 hours of paid ER scribing
~200 hours of volunteering in hospital (clinical)
~140 hours of office volunteering for MDA (nonclinical)
Research paper (not bench research) published in state-wide database

I would love to get into a MD/PhD program or any research-based institution but understand that I have to be realistic. My practice exams (although not the real thing!) are between 34 and 38. When I get my MCAT score I will focus more on a tentative school list but the major purpose of this post is to gauge how my application will be if I keep up with what I'm doing but still only get about 100-150 hours of non-clinical volunteering. Thanks for any help. :)

Also, I have an entire semester (about 20 hours) of Ws from community college. Parents divorced, had to find a job and somewhere to live, did, went back the next semester and then transferred. Don't know how this will be viewed either.
I think you'd be fine for schools that don't specify a mission of serving those in need (like the Jesuit schools, HBMCs, Loma Linda, and USC). I do suggest that even though scribing implies physician shadowing as well, that you try to get in a formal shadowing experience in an office-based setting, for an experience of longitudinal care. With your ED contacts, that shouldn't be difficult.

Oh yeah! Shadowing is important. I'm willing to make adjustments with my commitments in order to get into target programs. I have an opportunity to tutor kids after school this upcoming year on a volunteer-basis so I think I might dive into that. If it widens my prospects, that's an added bonus. I'm an NC resident so I know UNC is very service-oriented, which I appreciate.

Reactions: 1 user