MD & DO 3.8 sGPA, 3.67 cGPA, 27 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modonnell121

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get shadowing and a Dr's letter. Also, start volunteering or getting a healthcare related job.

Get shadowing and a Dr's letter. Also, start volunteering or getting a healthcare related job.

Yeah, I'm about to start doing those things. How much shadowing and healthcare volunteering do you think is adequate, in general? Say I start volunteering 10 hours a week for the next few months and shadow a doc, will that make my chances of acceptance fairly high (at DO schools)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm about to start doing those things. How much shadowing and healthcare volunteering do you think is adequate, in general? Say I start volunteering 10 hours a week for the next few months and shadow a doc, will that make my chances of acceptance fairly high (at DO schools)?
I don't know for sure. To play it safe, do as much as you can.
Personally I'm applying with ~65 shadowing hours and 200 hours of volunteering spread over 5+ years.

I don't know for sure. To play it safe, do as much as you can.
Personally I'm applying with ~65 shadowing hours and 200 hours of volunteering spread over 5+ years.

Cool, that's what I'm gonna do. Searching this forum for the topic shows a lot of people saying you need like 1000 hrs or reapply next cycle. That's crazy

BTW I am determined to apply this spring/summer. Do you guys think I can get all the requisite experience in by then (I'll continue after applying too).

Last edited:
I recommend:
Frank Netter
Loma Linda
New York Medical College
Albany
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Commonwealth
Any DO school
The PR schools, due to your fluency.

So I decided after I graduated college (May 2014) that I wanted to be a doctor. I took the MCAT in January without taking any practice tests or anything (I did a few practice sections from AAMC 3) and scored 27 (9PS, 8VR, 10 BS). My cumulative GPA is 3.67 and my science GPA is 3.80.

I have almost no work experience, though, I did some light tutoring in college, but other than that I've never had a job in my life, so any resume I put together looks pretty unimpressive. The only other skill I can think of is that I am fluent in Spanish and actually spent 3 months in Mexico and central and South America after college. My dad is an M.D. so I have had some exposure to medicine, but never worked or volunteered in a hospital/clinic.

Do I have a chance at MD or DO or both? I'm looking at DO schools like Philadelphia COM and NY COM.

Awesome, thanks for that list. As faculty can you answer my second question: I decided on this recently, so I have no real, recent clinical experience or volunteering, starting that now will I be okay for applying in May/June?