3.81 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 31 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercedes-benzene

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

Would love any advice/info on my chances here.

As a bit of background, I'm a non-trad applicant with an undergrad degree in psychology as well as a Master's in clinical psychology. I've got two years of work experience in psychology, a large majority of it in intelligence testing and neuropsych evaluations. For a year of that I worked in an outpatient/inpatient neurology department at a hospital doing batteries for concussions, stroke, pre-op / post-op evaluation, Parkinson's, etc. I also volunteer at a free medical clinic doing intake interviews (hoping to do scribe work there after Christmas). Past volunteer experience is pretty extensive, with 4 years of YoungLife in college and a summer at a homeless shelter. I also currently work doing more concussion evals while also working as a communications director for a nonprofit.

My sGPA is largely from a post-bacc program that I completed (3.84 GPA there ... 2 B's in physics) combined with 2 B's from intro bio and chemistry back during my freshman year of college almost 8 years ago. Do those science classes even count anymore since they are so long ago? My post-bacc courses were the requirements for med schools, so not too many upper level courses. Although I did finish physiology and biochemistry.

During my master's program I had about 1.5 years of research experience, the first being in a lab examining cognitive effects of HIV and then the rest in a lab for neuropsych looking at how children function with rare genetic disorders. I have some shadowing experience (primary care, ER, ortho; probably 40 hours). Do I need more of that?

What kinds of schools should I be shooting for here? I would prefer to be somewhere near the Southeast or East Coast but I am not strictly limited geographically. Also, should I push my interest in neurology and psychiatry in my application, as I'm fairly certain I want to do one of those? Or do I need to come across as open to anything? On one hand I have first hand experience into both of those fields but at the same time I don't want to look pigeonholed either.

Thank you for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Ah my bad. I'm kinda new and didn't know I needed to put the list on here already. But yeah that's the only MCAT I have and yes I would be applying next cycle. I'm a NC resident and here's a quick list. I'm open to suggestions with this list too as I've mostly gone off of geography and some browsing of the MSAR thing and choosing schools that have comparable scores to mine.

UNC
ECU
Wake Forest
VCU
EVMS
South Carolina (Greenville, Charleston, and Columbia)
ETSU
UTennessee
Creighton
Tulane
Kentucky
Louisville
WVU
Loma Linda
George Washington

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input! If you don't mind one more question, do you have thoughts on expressing an interest in some specialties in an application? Or is that generally frowned upon?