MD 3.82 cGPA/3.83 sGPA/35 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhino184

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering what my chances would be. I have a 3.82 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA, and 35 MCAT at a top 10 undergraduate institution.

My EC's:
NCAA Division 1 Wrestling: 2 Year Starter

Leadership:
Athlete Ally Ambassador:
I brought this program to my institution and lead the meetings. I have been featured nationally for this.
Adrenaline Rush Project Director: A registered non profit in CA I helped begin to provide veterans and wounded soldiers with a way to participate in extreme sports.
Mentor: Mentor freshman athletes through Duke University. 20 Hours
Bible Study: Helped lead a student athlete Bible Study on campus. 30 Hours

Employment:
Model for Nike Bauer Hockey:
5 years
Volunteering:
Wrestling Coach:
Ran free practices for high school athletes. 60 Hours

Shadowing/Clinical: 30 hours in peds radiology. Observed plane films, MRI's, CT scans, ultrasounds, fluoride studies as well as interventional radiology. Observed pediatric rounds

Research:
Completed an independent study at my institution. Wrote a procedure used in a lab at my institution now to study fruit fly wing development. My research hours are not as high as I'd like though, about 80 hours

Awards:
ACC All Academic Team
ACC Honor Roll
Best New Student Organization for Athlete Ally

Hobbies:
Sports Blog:
Wrote my own sports blog, which was the #1 trending sports blog worldwide at a point in 2013. One article was featured as the headline on the top wrestling media site in the country

I'm applying this cycle. Not the most research or shadowing, but I'm hoping my leadership is unique and they see my athletics combined with good scores carries me to fit somewhere. I applied to:

Harvard
Yale
Duke
Dartmouth
Boston U
George Washington
Georgetown
Cincinnati
Ohio State
USC Keck
Miami Miller
Vanderbilt
Vermont
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Northwestern
Penn
Temple
Kentucky
Louisville
UNC
Pitt
Wake Forest
Penn State

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wait, how are you applying to MEDICAL SCHOOL without any clinical experience?

Don't think that MCAT or GPA will save you when questions about your motivation to enter the profession come up. D'oh, @rhino184! This is one unintelligent application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, how are you applying to MEDICAL SCHOOL without any clinical experience?

Don't think that MCAT or GPA will save you when questions about your motivation to enter the profession come up. D'oh, @rhino184! This is one unintelligent application.

It's what I mean by shadowing. I have experience with a physician in pediatric radiology

There's not much medical stuff... If you got past the screeners, my medical students would eat you alive.
If you got an interview, what would you say?

I'm still in undergrad (will be senior), and have less hours due to athletic commitments. I wouldn't necessarily say that, but I'm prepared to explain how I've managed my time and my motivations to be a physician

It's what I mean by shadowing. I have experience with a physician in pediatric radiology

No, no, I realize what you'd meant. Thirty hours isn't enough for a self congratulatory pat on the back. It's just naive. Please read through this forum about what makes a good candidate. For what it's worth I've got 250 hours of hospital volunteering, 240 hours of shadowing and 4000 hours of clinical lab work and patient interaction.

And I still don't think it's enough. Something to think about.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm still in undergrad (will be senior), and have less hours due to athletic commitments. I wouldn't necessarily say that, but I'm prepared to explain how I've managed my time and my motivations to be a physician

You're seriously going to argue with @gyngyn about the quality of your application? An athletic commitment isn't going to do you any favors in explaining a painful deficiency. It's only a healthy bonus in conjunction with involved clinical experience. Please, don't apply until you've got at least a few hundred hours of shadowing and volunteering.

No, no, I realize what you'd meant. Thirty hours isn't enough for a self congratulatory pat on the back. It's just naive. Please read through this forum about what makes a good candidate. For what it's worth I've got 250 hours of hospital volunteering, 240 hours of shadowing and 4000 hours of clinical lab work and patient interaction.

And I still don't think it's enough. Something to think about.

I understand, but when you have 2 a day practices and 3500 hours as a division one athlete it's hard to find 250 hours to volunteer at a hospital. I'm in undergrad as well, and feel like the outside leadership I'm involved in is unique. I stressed I'm not the most experienced, but it's not like I have much of a choice. I committed to also be the best athlete I could be at this institution, so that's important as well

If you can't commit to being a doctor, you will NOT be a doctor.

Ultimately, med schools don't produce athletes. They don't care about your athletic prowess past the application stage. You need to make a choice - although it's obvious you're not serious enough for medicine.

It may be rough, but this is SDN. No one will tell you want you *want* to hear.

Reactions: 2 users
Also,

How can you be sure you want to be a physician without actually knowing much about medicine? What will you tell an interviewer that won't sound naive and manufactured? Where is your passion?

You're seriously going to argue with @gyngyn about the quality of your application? An athletic commitment isn't going to do you any favors in explaining a painful deficiency. It's only a healthy bonus in conjunction with involved clinical experience. Please, don't apply until you've got at least a few hundred hours of shadowing and volunteering.
If you can't commit to being a doctor, you will NOT be a doctor.

Ultimately, med schools don't produce athletes. They don't care about your athletic prowess past the application stage. You need to make a choice - although it's obvious you're not serious enough for medicine.

It may be rough, but this is SDN. No one will tell you want you *want* to hear.

So quit the team to shadow more. I didn't think I needed to tell you about my connection to medicine due to my mother's cancer, or how through my fruit fly research and my athletic injuries I took a fond interest in imaging, leading me to having a desire to be a radiologist. Just because I have 30 hours compared to your excellent amount of time doesn't mean that I do not want to be a physician. I would't be here if I didn't want this. I want this, just explained that I also have a commitment to my university and my teammates. I didn't think it had to be one or the other, and that I could prepare for both. To question my motivation is offensive to me, so that's why I'm a little upset. If you had given your advice nicely, perhaps I would have just taken it.

Reactions: 4 users
Many are motivated. Validating a commitment of service to the ill and infirm (to people who are not your relatives) is how we know that you realize what you are getting into. A personal experience is a common thread in applications but is insufficient to validate this commitment. Shadowing is a passive exercise and is not in the same category as clinical experience.

Last time I checked, half of the folks on my committee didn't know what Division 1 meant.

Reactions: 2 users
Many are motivated. Validating a commitment of service to the ill and infirm (to people who are not your relatives) is how we know that you realize what you are getting into. A personal experience is a common thread in applications but is insufficient to validate this commitment. Shadowing is a passive exercise and is not in the same category as clinical experience.

Last time I checked, half of the folks on my committee didn't know what Division 1 meant.

Sorry for our spat. Just hoping my desire popped through in how I responded. Thank you for your input. Was hoping unique EC's and my scores through heavy time commitments would carry me. If I need to reapply next cycle I will. Just doing the best I can with what I had

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for our spat. Just hoping my desire popped through in how I responded. Thank you for your input. Was hoping unique EC's and my scores through heavy time commitments would carry me. If I need to reapply next cycle I will. Just doing the best I can with what I had
You only get one chance at a first application. Make it as strong as it can be. There are hardships associated with re-application that are best avoided.
I didn't know we had a spat!

Reactions: 3 users
Reapply = diminished value of future applications.

I'm abrasive because I don't like nonsense; SDN isn't here to inflate egos. I'm frustrated that you won't see that your app is lacking in the most obvious category: clinical. I agree with @gyngyn on this, sick family members (as unfortunate and painful as it is, and I'm truly sorry for your mom) aren't a choice you're made. It was a choice made for you and does not show the kind of commitment to medicine adcoms want to see.

FYI, I'm a reapplicant (I had geographic limitations, low clinical involvement, and a late app), and I don't want to know how bad this cycle will be for me even though I've improved significantly in all areas of weakness.

You don't want to be me.

You only get one chance at a first application. Make it as strong as it can be. There are hardships associated with re-application that are best avoided.
I didn't know we had a spat!

I just got a little hurt when you questioned why I wanted to be a physician. It seemed as if the two responses immediately made me out to be a terrible person who had no desire to be a doctor. It was like being looked at as a dumb jock, which happens at the school I attend. I just want to prove people wrong. It drives me. I know if given the opportunity at one of those institutions, they would not regret it

FYI, I'm a reapplicant (I had geographic limitations, low clinical involvement, and a late app), and I don't want to know how bad this cycle will be for me even though I've improved significantly in all areas of weakness.

You don't want to be me.

I understand. My mom is fine, only giving an example to how I first got connected to potentially being a doctor. I'm not going to tell the full story. I didn't deny I had limited hours, but limited hours isn't out of not wanting to be a physician. I only brought up reapplication to show I am committed to this pathway if this does not work out. I am hopeful though

I just got a little hurt when you questioned why I wanted to be a physician. It seemed as if the two responses immediately made me out to be a terrible person who had no desire to be a doctor. It was like being looked at as a dumb jock, which happens at the school I attend. I just want to prove people wrong. It drives me. I know if given the opportunity at one of those institutions, they would not regret it
My purpose here is to reflect back to you the response you are likely to receive at schools like mine (many of which are on your list). I have no way of knowing any more about you than what you have posted. I always presume the best.

In order to get a chance, you have to prove you deserve it. It has nothing to do with being "dumb," your grades and scores are not an issue, your validation of commitment is.

My purpose here is to reflect back to you the response you are likely to receive at schools like mine (many of which are on your list). I have no way of knowing any more about you than what you have posted. I always presume the best.

In order to get a chance, you have to prove you deserve it. It has nothing to do with being "dumb," your grades and scores are not an issue, your validation of commitment is.

With an interview medical students and administrators could find out more about who I am. I just put out a simple overview. I'm sure from your experience you know it is easier to find each person's motivation while actually talking to them

With an interview medical students and administrators could find out more about who I am. I just put out a simple overview. I'm sure from your experience you know it is easier to find each person's motivation while actually talking to them
Medicine is not a reward for being smart, getting good grades, overcoming adversity or doing good deeds, it is an honor we earn by a commitment to a life of service. If you cannot show this, even the most charming interview will fail at committee.

Reevaluate what drives you. Trust me when I tell you that I understand this more than you'd ever imagine.

But this isn't a good motivator for long. At some point passion must take over and you need to live for yourself and not for others' expectations of you - valid or not. This isn't a reflection on your character, just an observation.

Reevaluate what drives you. Trust me when I tell you that I understand this more than you'd ever imagine.

But this isn't a good motivator for long. At some point passion must take over and you need to live for yourself and not for others' expectations of you - valid or not. This isn't a reflection on your character, just an observation.

I meant as in prove you wrong and those in my classes. I want to be a doctor because it's the best way I can use my natural abilities to give back to the world and provide for others. I want to provide the care I've been lucky enough to receive, the care my family has been lucky enough to receive, and that I could have the opportunity to give. I'm not living for others expectations of myself. I started college as an engineer due to familial pressures, and decided that medicine was for me. If I wasn't passionate about this I wouldn't have posted to SDN

Medicine is not a reward for being smart, getting good grades, overcoming adversity or doing good deeds, it is an honor we earn by a commitment to a life of service. If you cannot show this, even the most charming interview will fail at committee.

I understand. If I wasn't committed I wouldn't be in this discussion. I feel like it will bring out the best in me. I am committed to this

Rhino, pay very careful attention to what my learned colleague has told you. You have yet to demonstrate that you know what you're getting into, nor have you shown us that you really want to be around sick and injured people for the next 30-40 years. At my school (and others, based upon posts here) you'd be interviewed and rejected. 4.0 automatons are a dime-a-dozen.

I meant as in prove you wrong and those in my classes. I want to be a doctor because it's the best way I can use my natural abilities to give back to the world and provide for others. I want to provide the care I've been lucky enough to receive, the care my family has been lucky enough to receive, and that I could have the opportunity to give. I'm not living for others expectations of myself. I started college as an engineer due to familial pressures, and decided that medicine was for me. If I wasn't passionate about this I wouldn't have posted to SDN
I understand. If I wasn't committed I wouldn't be in this discussion. I feel like it will bring out the best in me. I am committed to this

You have sacrificed the long term for the short term. I have seen successful student-athletes, so like being a good medical student, you're going to need to figure out good time mgt skills. And if you have any hope of aiming for one of the research powerhouses, you'll need to understand what scientific research is like....meaning, do some research.

I understand, but when you have 2 a day practices and 3500 hours as a division one athlete it's hard to find 250 hours to volunteer at a hospital. I'm in undergrad as well, and feel like the outside leadership I'm involved in is unique. I stressed I'm not the most experienced, but it's not like I have much of a choice. I committed to also be the best athlete I could be at this institution, so that's important as well

@rhino184 - You've got some of the ingredients of a top-notch application. But you're also missing a few core bits, which will hurt your application - potentially fatally. If you fix the 'holes' in your application, the interesting parts will stand out as an asset, not a substitute, and you'll be competitive for a whole different tier of medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
@rhino184 - You've got some of the ingredients of a top-notch application. But you're also missing a few core bits, which will hurt your application - potentially fatally. If you fix the 'holes' in your application, the interesting parts will stand out as an asset, not a substitute, and you'll be competitive for a whole different tier of medical school.

Thank you for the advice. That's what I figured. I applied to some of those top ones as more of a reach. I would be very happy attending any of the schools on that list. I believe they all provide the necessary tools to bring out the best in me

Rhino, pay very careful attention to what my learned colleague has told you. You have yet to demonstrate that you know what you're getting into, nor have you shown us that you really want to be around sick and injured people for the next 30-40 years. At my school (and others, based upon posts here) you'd be interviewed and rejected. 4.0 automatons are a dime-a-dozen.

You have sacrificed the long term for the short term. I have seen successful student-athletes, so like being a good medical student, you're going to need to figure out good time mgt skills. And if you have any hope of aiming for one of the research powerhouses, you'll need to understand what scientific research is like....meaning, do some research.

The research powerhouses are reaches for me at this point, but I figured it is worth a shot. I've done research, as in my own independent study in which I wrote a 20+ page manuscript and developed an imaging procedure used in labs to study wing development at my institution. Obviously my amount of hours is not as high as some other applicants, but I don't feel like I'm an automaton as you suggest. I think I have some diverse EC's, such as helping start up and run a non-profit for military veteran's and using my athletics influence and platform to become a nationally recognized advocate for homosexual rights. I know these are not necessarily medical experiences, but I'm hoping they show my commitment to the greater good and my ability to be a leader. I feel like I have managed my undergraduate studies and time well considering the duties I've had and my familial situation. I am confident in my abilities to be not only a great medical student, but a successful physician. I am hopeful one of these schools will agree

You and 50-100,000 other applicants.

I feel like I have managed my undergraduate studies and time well considering the duties I've had and my familial situation. I am confident in my abilities to be not only a great medical student, but a successful physician. I am hopeful one of these schools will agree

The research powerhouses are reaches for me at this point, but I figured it is worth a shot. I've done research, as in my own independent study in which I wrote a 20+ page manuscript and developed an imaging procedure used in labs to study wing development at my institution. Obviously my amount of hours is not as high as some other applicants, but I don't feel like I'm an automaton as you suggest. I think I have some diverse EC's, such as helping start up and run a non-profit for military veteran's and using my athletics influence and platform to become a nationally recognized advocate for homosexual rights. I know these are not necessarily medical experiences, but I'm hoping they show my commitment to the greater good and my ability to be a leader. I feel like I have managed my undergraduate studies and time well considering the duties I've had and my familial situation. I am confident in my abilities to be not only a great medical student, but a successful physician. I am hopeful one of these schools will agree
Let us know how it goes. It helps us advise others in similar circumstances.

Let us know how it goes. It helps us advise others in similar circumstances.

Thank you. I know I got a little hostile but it's your knowledge that helps us become better applicants. I'll keep you informed

@Goro any suggestions for the list of schools. I understand your concerns at this point. Hoping to see where you feel I might have a stronger chance to gain admission. I'm a resident of NH btw, which does me no favors, and attend a top 10 school in NC.

Suggest:

Dartmouth
Boston U
George Washington
Georgetown
Miami Miller
Vermont
Virginia Tech
UNC
Wake Forest
Penn State
Any new school
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Tulane
U CO
Rush
Loyola
MCW
SLU

@Goro any suggestions for the list of schools. I understand your concerns at this point. Hoping to see where you feel I might have a stronger chance to gain admission. I'm a resident of NH btw, which does me no favors, and attend a top 10 school in NC.

I too was a student athlete dedicating 3 hours a day very early in the morning to my sport. On top of that team time I had to work out myself. In addition to athletics, I had friends and family stuff happening too, a relationship and of course, school work. I did other extracurriculars, was a resident advisor and studied abroad. I did a research gig at my school too! And I shadowed a lot.

Guess what? I'm taking time now, after undergrad, to really get to know myself and be able to showcase to the admissions professionals exactly who I am through words backed by experiences. Dedicating yourself to serving others is the hardest and most rewarding thing you'll ever do- and it'll be the ONLY thing you do as a physician.

I understand your frustration because I was there one day too. I simply wasn't ready as an undergrad to apply and be competitive. In the long run, one year strengthening your application doesn't change a lot of how you practice medicine, but it changes your worldview and makes you truly understand what you're about to get into (assuming you have true clinical experiences during that time). Good luck to you fellow applicant!

Wait, what's wrong with reapplicants again?

you should tell them to look it up.

i hope this kid gets in.

I too was a student athlete dedicating 3 hours a day very early in the morning to my sport. On top of that team time I had to work out myself. In addition to athletics, I had friends and family stuff happening too, a relationship and of course, school work. I did other extracurriculars, was a resident advisor and studied abroad. I did a research gig at my school too! And I shadowed a lot.

Guess what? I'm taking time now, after undergrad, to really get to know myself and be able to showcase to the admissions professionals exactly who I am through words backed by experiences. Dedicating yourself to serving others is the hardest and most rewarding thing you'll ever do- and it'll be the ONLY thing you do as a physician.

I understand your frustration because I was there one day too. I simply wasn't ready as an undergrad to apply and be competitive. In the long run, one year strengthening your application doesn't change a lot of how you practice medicine, but it changes your worldview and makes you truly understand what you're about to get into (assuming you have true clinical experiences during that time). Good luck to you fellow applicant!

I just didn't want to put my family through a gap year. I understand I could get more hours in. Hopefully admins will like some of my unique EC's and want to sit down and discuss my motivations

I just didn't want to put my family through a gap year. I understand I could get more hours in. Hopefully admins will like some of my unique EC's and want to sit down and discuss my motivations
What do you mean you don't "want to put your family through a gap year"? It's not shameful to take a gap year, if that's what you're worried about. I'll be very honest with you, your stats are very good so you're going to get interviews. It's just what Gyngyn and Goro said about clinical stuff- it's lacking and that's fact and who knows what'll happen during/after an interview.

Being an athlete is hard, but stop making excuses for why you don't have clinical experience. It's doable, you're just not ready to sacrifice something for it.

This sucks to hear, I know it from personal experience, but you asked for advice on your chances!

A gap year might be a good idea. I didn't have nearly as time consuming ECs as you, I did some hospital volunteering and shadowing while I was in undergraduate but I figured it wasn't enough for me to decide if this is what I really wanted.

However, I've had the chance to work in an ER for the last couple years as well as do some non-clinical volunteering I've always wanted to do, make some money, have some fun. I wasn't sure how a gap year (now a couple years) would go, but honestly one of the best decisions I ever made. It also let me shore up my work and clinical experience. I'm more sure of medicine after taking this time than I ever was while I was in undergraduate (and I thought I wanted it back then). You get a lot of time to think in a gap year and you discover more and more about yourself and your motivations.

All in all, the choice is up to you. I know the world and you are telling yourself 'go, go go!' but a year here and there won't ruin anything. And if you've been as busy as you say you've been, it might even be the perfect breather

Your missing a couple ECs and your app is golden. Not everyone has the numbers you do, take the gap year; go into the application cycle strong.

Do you want to apply at your best? Or squeeze in somewhere?

Your missing a couple ECs and your app is golden. Not everyone has the numbers you do, take the gap year; go into the application cycle strong.

Do you want to apply at your best? Or squeeze in somewhere?

I've already applied

Regardless, good luck OP. Like they have said, let us know how it goes. Are you doing any clinical stuff right now to wrap up your summer?

Regardless, good luck OP. Like they have said, let us know how it goes. Are you doing any clinical stuff right now to wrap up your summer?

Just got home from training camp at school. Here for a short time before I go back and start up again. If I can get in for a quick time somewhere I will, but I have to do some work for my father. We had inherited my Grandmother's house up north and he needs the help fixing it up for sale as I'm not home very often. Wrestling season runs through each break (Thanksgiving, Winter, Spring), so I'm home about 8 days per school year. Last summer after my research I ran my own wrestling club and provided free practices but I probably should have done more clinical activities then.

I also did not realize how important people hold clinical volunteering. I used much of my platform to get involved in the community while I could, such as with my work with Athlete Ally and helping start Adrenaline Rush. These opportunities were once in a lifetime and I wanted to take advantage of them. If it doesn't work out this cycle I will know why and work to strengthen myself for another run. Thank you all for the support

I also did not realize how important people hold clinical volunteering. I used much of my platform to get involved in the community while I could, such as with my work with Athlete Ally and helping start Adrenaline Rush. These opportunities were once in a lifetime and I wanted to take advantage of them. If it doesn't work out this cycle I will know why and work to strengthen myself for another run. Thank you all for the support

As in hours, not the experience. I lumped shadowing in with this as well, rather than volunteering at a free clinic. It isn't like I haven't volunteered at soup kitchens or in the community, they were just not put on the application due to space with me putting certain awards on there

Too bad you hadn't posted about applying a few months back. We could have helped quite a bit. Like you said, if it doesn't work out this cycle, you know what you need to improve on and first step is getting help here :)

Suggest:

Dartmouth
Boston U
George Washington
Georgetown
Miami Miller
Vermont
Virginia Tech
UNC
Wake Forest
Penn State
Any new school
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Tulane
U CO
Rush
Loyola
MCW
SLU

@Goro I have ties to KY hence why my list included UK and UL. Thanks for the help. I added U CO, Quinnipiac (actually lived like 20 minutes from it for the majority of my life), and Buffalo (kids with my stats at Duke have had previous success there. Potentially adding MCW and SLU as well

@Goro I have ties to KY hence why my list included UK and UL. Thanks for the help. I added U CO, Quinnipiac (actually lived like 20 minutes from it for the majority of my life), and Buffalo (kids with my stats at Duke have had previous success there. Potentially adding MCW and SLU as well
Have you checked with them that what you are calling ties actually qualifies for ties and that these ties will actually have an impact on your app? I know many schools do ties for people who went to UG in that state, etc.. just wanting you to make sure that the ties will actually help you so you don't waste money.

Have you checked with them that what you are calling ties actually qualifies for ties and that these ties will actually have an impact on your app? I know many schools do ties for people who went to UG in that state, etc.. just wanting you to make sure that the ties will actually help you so you don't waste money.

Contacted each. Waiting to make sure on it. Left a contact number in case they want to hear about it from the source