MD 3.82 cGPA/3.83 sGPA/35 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you checked with them that what you are calling ties actually qualifies for ties and that these ties will actually have an impact on your app? I know many schools do ties for people who went to UG in that state, etc.. just wanting you to make sure that the ties will actually help you so you don't waste money.

The person I contacted at UK requested a secondary for me, which is a good sign for the ties

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Was admitted to Keck today. Was my first interview. Very excited

Reactions: 7 users
Congrats.

I was more bullish about this user than many on SDN. Based on the (admittedly anecdotal) examples I've seen, high GPA + high MCAT + D1 athlete is often a recipe for success, particularly when it comes from an academic powerhouse like Duke.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
people don't understand the discipline and commitment it takes to wrassle at the college level, or any sport for that matter. i shouldn't even have to bring up the fact that OP is DI.

lol @ the poster telling you to get 250 hrs of shadowing and questioning your commitment. congrats on your acceptance OP, you've certainly earned it.

people don't understand the discipline and commitment it takes to wrassle at the college level, or any sport for that matter. i shouldn't even have to bring up the fact that OP is DI.

lol @ the poster telling you to get 250 hrs of shadowing and questioning your commitment. congrats on your acceptance OP, you've certainly earned it.

Thank you very much. It is nice to look back on this when people attempted to bring me down so heavily. It feels so good to know that I'll have a great place to be next year

Are you kidding, 3.8+, 35, D1 athlete from Duke and people doubted this kid?

Reactions: 1 users
Are you kidding, 3.8+, 35, D1 athlete from Duke and people doubted this kid?

I'm just reading this now myself. I can't believe people were thinking a solid GPA, MCAT, and most importantly a D1 ATHLETE would have to reapply :laugh:

Thank you very much. It is nice to look back on this when people attempted to bring me down so heavily. It feels so good to know that I'll have a great place to be next year

People, myself included, underestimate how FANATIC others can be about sports. I bet you could have applied with 3 hours of clinical experience and still gotten interviews

Congrats, rhino. Very well deserved. I wouldn't be surprised if you pulled an even heavier hitting school (not that Keck isn't already a powerhouse)

Didn't doubt this guy would get in for a bit

you're the man. congratulations on the acceptance. good to see athletes getting some success and respect from med schools.

Last edited:
I think the concerns about his lack of clinical experience were very valid, but luckily he has been able to overcome them. Congrats OP.

Btw did you get other interviews too? Did they ever mention lack of clinical ECs?

I think the concerns about his lack of clinical experience were very valid, but luckily he has been able to overcome them. Congrats OP.

Btw did you get other interviews too? Did they ever mention lack of clinical ECs?

I've got three more in January, still waiting to hear from schools as well

I personally thought you were a really strong applicant when I read your initial post, and it surprised me to see so many people being so negative about your chances. As a college athlete with similar stats and time constraints, I'm really glad you were successful this cycle; it gives me a lot of hope.

I personally thought you were a really strong applicant when I read your initial post, and it surprised me to see so many people being so negative about your chances. As a college athlete with similar stats and time constraints, I'm really glad you were successful this cycle; it gives me a lot of hope.

Well it was mainly a few people, others like you have shown great support. I got into a great program when someone one here called my application essentially dumb. It can be ridiculous how negative people get on here without even knowing you. Person questioned my passion without knowing anything

Funny how none of them are replying here anymore

Funny how none of them are replying here anymore

It's funny how one person who was extremely critical provided a school list not involving the school that first admitted me. Just glad I had some faith in my abilities and that other supportive people out there exist who are hopeful that people get in. I know this is competitive but I wanna see you all do well and I thank all the people that offered advice without trying to trash me

Reactions: 2 users
Wondering what my chances would be. I have a 3.82 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA, and 35 MCAT at a top 10 undergraduate institution.

My EC's:
NCAA Division 1 Wrestling: 2 Year Starter

Leadership:
Athlete Ally Ambassador:
I brought this program to my institution and lead the meetings. I have been featured nationally for this.
Adrenaline Rush Project Director: A registered non profit in CA I helped begin to provide veterans and wounded soldiers with a way to participate in extreme sports.
Mentor: Mentor freshman athletes through Duke University. 20 Hours
Bible Study: Helped lead a student athlete Bible Study on campus. 30 Hours

Employment:
Model for Nike Bauer Hockey:
5 years
Volunteering:
Wrestling Coach:
Ran free practices for high school athletes. 60 Hours

Shadowing/Clinical: 30 hours in peds radiology. Observed plane films, MRI's, CT scans, ultrasounds, fluoride studies as well as interventional radiology. Observed pediatric rounds

Research:
Completed an independent study at my institution. Wrote a procedure used in a lab at my institution now to study fruit fly wing development. My research hours are not as high as I'd like though, about 80 hours

Awards:
ACC All Academic Team
ACC Honor Roll
Best New Student Organization for Athlete Ally

Hobbies:
Sports Blog:
Wrote my own sports blog, which was the #1 trending sports blog worldwide at a point in 2013. One article was featured as the headline on the top wrestling media site in the country

I'm applying this cycle. Not the most research or shadowing, but I'm hoping my leadership is unique and they see my athletics combined with good scores carries me to fit somewhere. I applied to:

Harvard
Yale
Duke
Dartmouth
Boston U
George Washington
Georgetown
Cincinnati
Ohio State
USC Keck
Miami Miller
Vanderbilt