3.82 GPA, 520 MCAT - Need help on school choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BphysDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My first post. I have been following and appreciated the help from this forum in school selection. Here is my case.

Definitely non traditional student
29 year old Asian student

B.S from top 5 school
Ph.D. in biophysics in another top5 school (will complete next June).

3.82 GPA
3.85 sGPA
520 MCAT (132 P, 126 CARS, 130 Bio, 132 Psy)

ECs:

2 years volunteering in hospital before PhD.
Summer shadowing in neurosurgery before PhD.
3 years teaching for underserved areas - 100% African American students.
2 years teaching for high school teachers in math.
4 years college tutor in biology / physics.
1 year volunteering in hospital (at the same graduate school).
1 year part time - career counselling for college kids.

3 years research in HIV during undergraduate.
5 years research in autoimmune disease (PhD thesis).

Tennis Club.
Physics Club.

Due to my age, will it be a prob to apply to med school? What school should I send my applications to?

Thanks so much for your time and advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know enough to give you school advice but you have a fantastic looking application and there are plenty of med students who start in their 30s, best of luck!

Last edited:
Damn, your application is catered toward the research powerhouses. Amazing application.

You should aim high (top 25), with a few mid/lower tiers sprinkled in, and your state schools. Apply ASAP though, it is starting to get on the late side for AMCAS submission this cycle.

Sample list below (you can adjust base don preference):

Top tier (pick 10+):
Harvard
Hopkins
UCSF
Penn
WashU
Yale
Columbia
Duke
Michigan
UCLA
NYU
Pitt
Cornell
Northwestern
Chicago
Sinai
Case Western
Baylor
Vanderbilt

Mid tiers (pick 3-5):
BU
Emory
Rochester
Einstein
USC
Miami
Wake Forest
SLU

Low tiers (pick 2-3):
Any private schools with MCAT medians 30-32
All your state schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your age is fine. Apply wherever you would like, they're all there for the taking.

Thanks so much for your inputs! It feels great to have the support and advice from you guys. I will apply as Banco has suggested.

Thanks so much for your inputs! It feels great to have the support and advice from you guys. I will apply as Banco has suggested.

Yeah you should be proud of your application.

And my template is just a suggestion; if there are any particular schools that you specifically want to apply to but I forgot, go for it. You are good for pretty much any school out there (other than mission based or extremely in-state biased schools).

Hi. Pick any schools you like in the top 20 + 1-3 of UVA, Emory, Case Western, USC, Einstein, Rochester + your state schools. Apply to 18-25 schools. You'll be totally set.

Apply anywhere you want! Great App! 520 is an amazing score + good GPA + Plus PhD! You should be proud!

Last edited:
Thanks all! @ Rocklobstr: I like your avatar!