3.83 GPA (sci and cummulative), 32 MCAT; chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kthxbai

Really bad eggs
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Evening all, and thanks for taking a look at my thread.

Here's the sparknotes version of my application:

Graduated in 2012, majored in microbiology, 3.83 GPA, science and cummulative. 32 (10PS 11V 10 BS) MCAT

Shadowing:
240 hours with a GP/Gyno; 8-9 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 1.5 months in 2010

Clinical EC:
Hospital volunteer - by the time I submit the application I expect to have about 230 hours.
I volunteer at two different units twice a week for a total of 5 hours a week. I will add another 2 hour block next week. I've been with the hospital since September 2012.

Non-clinical EC:
I volunteer with elderly folks at an adult day care center on weekends for 10 hours a week. I expect to have over 300 hours by the time I submit my application this June. I've been with them since October 2013.

I work with a national Lyme organization to spread awareness about the disease; I wrote a pamphlet for them and will begin to overhaul their website (text wise).

Research:
College: 2 solid years of very productive research. I committed roughly 10-15 hours a week for those two years. Lots to discuss with med school admission folks on this front.

Job: I work full time in a medical diagnostics lab (45 hours a week for a total of several thousands since September 2012). I work in the microbiology lab and with patients.

Leadership/TAing
I was a chemistry (organic I, II, and general) TA for 3 semesters (6 hours a week for each assignment).

I'm aiming for mid-tier schools because frankly, all I want is to be a doctor; I don't much care about the brand of my degree. My state school (University of MD) would be the ideal school because it's a great value for a quality education. My question then, is there anything else you could recommend?

Thank you all once again; I truly appreciate you taking your time to give me feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Evening all, and thanks for taking a look at my thread.

Here's the sparknotes version of my application:

Graduated in 2012, majored in microbiology, 3.83 GPA, science and cummulative. 32 (10PS 11V 10 BS) MCAT

Shadowing:
240 hours with a GP/Gyno; 8-9 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 1.5 months in 2010

Clinical EC:
Hospital volunteer - by the time I submit the application I expect to have about 230 hours.
I volunteer at two different units twice a week for a total of 5 hours a week. I will add another 2 hour block next week. I've been with the hospital since September 2012.

Non-clinical EC:
I volunteer with elderly folks at an adult day care center on weekends for 10 hours a week. I expect to have over 300 hours by the time I submit my application this June. I've been with them since October 2013.

I work with a national Lyme organization to spread awareness about the disease; I wrote a pamphlet for them and will begin to overhaul their website (text wise).

Research:
College: 2 solid years of very productive research. I committed roughly 10-15 hours a week for those two years. Lots to discuss with med school admission folks on this front.

Job: I work full time in a medical diagnostics lab (45 hours a week for a total of several thousands since September 2012). I work in the microbiology lab and with patients.

Leadership/TAing
I was a chemistry (organic I, II, and general) TA for 3 semesters (6 hours a week for each assignment).

I'm aiming for mid-tier schools because frankly, all I want is to be a doctor; I don't much care about the brand of my degree. My state school (University of MD) would be the ideal school because it's a great value for a quality education. My question then, is there anything else you could recommend?

Thank you all once again; I truly appreciate you taking your time to give me feedback.
I think you have a terrific application and the only additional activity that might make it even shinier would be peer leadership (which is not a requirement). I'd also hope that you stick with the (presumably) nonmedical community service at the adult daycare, as it's somewhat short-lived, and that you have some leisure-time activities to list. I think that your odds of acceptance to an MD school exceed the 80% historically appreciated by all past applicants with your stats, assuming early application, strong LORs, no legal issues, and good interview skills. Well done.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You are dead on the median stats for accepted applicants at the UM and I would agree with the Cat (above) that your EC's are better than expected. Just make sure you have a decent number of OOS schools to round out your list and you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the replies! Once again, your advice is very much appreciated!

I forgot to mention that I run mid distance (have been, actually, for the past year; 5-6 miles a day 5 days a week). I'll enter my first half marathon in the spring! I have some work-related leadership (training new employees), but would hate to stretch my application thin if this isn't substantial enough.

100% concur with my learned colleagues. Invest in MSAR and apply strategically.

You are dead on the median stats for accepted applicants at the UM and I would agree with the Cat (above) that your EC's are better than expected. Just make sure you have a decent number of OOS schools to round out your list and you should be fine.