3.83 sGPA, 3.62 oGPA, 29 MCAT Chances for Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalhopeful09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!!

I'm an Asian American female, currently in a combination program for Masters of Engineering in BME and a B.S. in Biological Engineering. I will be graduating from undergrad in December.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.83 BCPM GPA, 3.62 overall (2 C's and a C+), 29 MCAT (9/10/10). I'm pretty disappointed with my MCAT scores ;( but I'm not a good test taker even though that's no excuse.

ECS:
- ~100 hours Tutoring math for kids with disabilities
- 300+ hours Mathematics tutor for college students
- ~100 hours English Language and Composition tutor for ESL students
- 300+ hours in Alzheimer's lab lab
- 200+ hours Shadowing in operating room/clinic with various physicians (plastics, orthopedics, gastroenterology, cardiology, otolaryngology, etc.)
- 700+ hours clinical human subject research in operating room, publication pending.
- Master's project on theorizing mechanism of anesthetic drug action on pulmonary system
- 10000+ hours of piano performance/community service/volunteering (starting in 2000 but still continuing to this day)

School List:
Johns Hopkins
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Tufts
GW
Georgetown
UMaryland
UMichigan
Baylor
Wake Forest
Albert Einstein
Icahn at Mt. Sinai
UPenn
Pittsburgh
Boston

LORs: I hope they're good! I have a committee letter, a lab professor letter, a letter from my research mentor, and from my boss at my job.

I've already submitted my application and all secondaries except Wake Forest and Vanderbilt...but I just want to know how much of a chance I have? Another thing about me is that I'm 6 years younger than the average age of starting medical school...I'm not sure if this helps or hurts me! I've registered to retake the MCATs in January depending on what happens in the next 3-4 months. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!!

I'm an Asian American female, currently in a combination program for Masters of Engineering in BME and a B.S. in Biological Engineering. I will be graduating from undergrad in December.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.83 BCPM GPA, 3.62 overall (2 C's and a C+), 29 MCAT (9/10/10). I'm pretty disappointed with my MCAT scores ;( but I'm not a good test taker even though that's no excuse.

ECS:
- ~100 hours Tutoring math for kids with disabilities
- 300+ hours Mathematics tutor for college students
- ~100 hours English Language and Composition tutor for ESL students
- 300+ hours in Alzheimer's lab lab
- 200+ hours Shadowing in operating room/clinic with various physicians (plastics, orthopedics, gastroenterology, cardiology, otolaryngology, etc.)
- 700+ hours clinical human subject research in operating room, publication pending.
- Master's project on theorizing mechanism of anesthetic drug action on pulmonary system
- 10000+ hours of piano performance/community service/volunteering (starting in 2000 but still continuing to this day)

School List:
Johns Hopkins
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Tufts
GW
Georgetown
UMaryland
UMichigan
Baylor
Wake Forest
Albert Einstein
Icahn at Mt. Sinai
UPenn
Pittsburgh
Boston

LORs: I hope they're good! I have a committee letter, a lab professor letter, a letter from my research mentor, and from my boss at my job.

I've already submitted my application and all secondaries except Wake Forest and Vanderbilt...but I just want to know how much of a chance I have? Another thing about me is that I'm 6 years younger than the average age of starting medical school...I'm not sure if this helps or hurts me! I've registered to retake the MCATs in January depending on what happens in the next 3-4 months. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated!!

I count two schools on your list where you have a fair to good chance of an interview.
You need at least 10 more schools that accept OOS applicants with stats like yours (depending on your state of residence).

Last edited by a moderator:
I count two schools on your list where you have a fair to good chance of an interview.
You need at least 10 more schools that accept OOS applicants with stats like yours.

18-year-old Asian-American with marginal numbers with 13 of his 15 medical schools listed being notable/top-tier programs:

Untitled.png

OP, I'm not saying you can't or won't get into a medical school with your numbers and extracurricular work, you certainly have the credentials to be eligible. But you need to become far more realistic with your expectations if you want a better than abysmal chance of admission to a medical program. In general, an applicant should apply to 14 medical schools with which they are in the numerical range (MCAT/GPA at or above school level), have eligibility (residency status, or OOS-friendly program), and resemble or match the general feel of your application (e.g. your mission matches theirs).

The school list you have resembles one I would expect of a person with significant numbers (> 3.9 s/cGPA, > 35 MCAT), an incredible application, and a secure safety school (several low-stat, less competitive state schools).

Members don't see this ad :)
Goro suggests:

GW
Georgetown
Wake Forest
TCMC
Quinnipiac
all other new MD schools except Va Tech and Hofstra
WVU
Rosy Franklin
Penn state
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
Drexel
Albany
NYMC
VCU
Rush
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
U Rochester
Any DO program.