MD & DO 3.84 cGPA 3.7 sGPA 513 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweeteedan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just received my July MCAT scores last week, so I am trying to finalize my list of schools to send secondaries to:
PA resident

cGPA: 3.84
sGPA: 3.7

MCAT July 2015
126 (67%) Chem/Physics
128 (87%) CARS
129 (93%) Biological sciences
130 (97%) Psych/Soc
Total- 513 (89%)

Current School List: (X's are schools I already submitted secondaries for)
George Washington - x
New York Medical College - x
Tufts -x
Jefferson -x
Commonwealth Medical College -x
Perelman -x
Penn State-x
Temple
PCOM-x
Drexel-x
Virginia Commonwealth
Colorado
Ohio State
Wake Forest
VTech
Boston U -x
Emory
UVA
Tulane

Clinical Experience: I have over 100 hours of direct shadowing experience with clinicians of varying specialties (Peds ER, Peds Plastics, Peds Psych, Neuro, Family Medicine, Plastics, Ortho), over 100 hours of direct patient contact through an internship at my university's health center.
ECs: Leadership experience being the president of a large philanthropic organization at my school (4 years, President of organization 1 year), student mentor to undergrads in my major, committee member for large philanthropy (3 years).
Research: Undergraduate RA during three years of my undergrad in a psych lab. Selected for a competitive internship program over last summer at one of the top hospitals in the country (presenting research at international conference this year and won research award at my university for thesis based on this research).

I graduated with honors in May and am working as a clinical research assistant at a top medical school throughout the year.

How does this list look? Is my C/P MCAT score going to hurt?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your MCAT subsections are fine.

Out of the schools you still have to apply to I wouldn't bother with UVA, Ohio State or Colorado. I would definitely add WVU as well. If you want "reaches" USC, Rochester, Hofstra and Einstein are ones to consider. Might be a good idea to also add LECOM.

Your lister overall though is sufficient. Your chances will clearly be best at TCMC(interview around 40% of IS applicants), Drexel/Temple(both interview 25-30% of IS applicants) and Penn State(interview around 20% of IS applicants). If you add WVU they interview around 20% of OOS applicants and many of those apps don't have what WVU is looking for(being a bordering state resident is definitely one thing they favor so that helps you as long as you apply).

Reactions: 1 user
The low CP will hurt for top schools.
I suggest the following. Nothing wrong with aiming high; the ones I have in bold are schools where your MCAT score is 2-3 points below their avg, and your GPA is ~ the same as the school avg. Thus, proceed with caution on these, but I feel you're in striking distance for some.

U VM
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
USC/Keck
Loyola
USF Morsani
Emory
BU
Mayo
Case
Any new MD school, especially Hofstra. Skip Central MI and the three new FL schools. I can't recommend CNU.

Hi all,

I just received my July MCAT scores last week, so I am trying to finalize my list of schools to send secondaries to:
PA resident

cGPA: 3.84
sGPA: 3.7

MCAT July 2015
126 (67%) Chem/Physics
128 (87%) CARS
129 (93%) Biological sciences
130 (97%) Psych/Soc
Total- 513 (89%)

Current School List: (X's are schools I already submitted secondaries for)
George Washington - x
New York Medical College - x
Tufts -x
Jefferson -x
Commonwealth Medical College -x
Perelman -x
Penn State-x
Temple
PCOM-x
Drexel-x
Virginia Commonwealth
Colorado
Ohio State
Wake Forest
VTech
Boston U -x
Emory
UVA
Tulane

Clinical Experience: I have over 100 hours of direct shadowing experience with clinicians of varying specialties (Peds ER, Peds Plastics, Peds Psych, Neuro, Family Medicine, Plastics, Ortho), over 100 hours of direct patient contact through an internship at my university's health center.
ECs: Leadership experience being the president of a large philanthropic organization at my school (4 years, President of organization 1 year), student mentor to undergrads in my major, committee member for large philanthropy (3 years).
Research: Undergraduate RA during three years of my undergrad in a psych lab. Selected for a competitive internship program over last summer at one of the top hospitals in the country (presenting research at international conference this year and won research award at my university for thesis based on this research).

I graduated with honors in May and am working as a clinical research assistant at a top medical school throughout the year.

How does this list look? Is my C/P MCAT score going to hurt?

Thanks!