3.84 gpa low mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmas4291

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am new to SDN, always browsing, finally gave into making an account :p
So I took the MCAT in July did VERY badly, and took it again.
July 2011 7/7/6 O (eek!):scared::(
January 2012 9/9/8 L (5 point improvement, but blanked out during WS. Also, test was hard!!)
My practice tests were higher, highest being a 29 - 11/8/10 (highest scores in each section)
I am taking it again in April, of course I plan to increase my score to at least a 28. I am hoping for higher, of course.
GPA ~3.84 cum ~3.8 science
graduating this May - finished honors college degree in 3 years BA biology, came in with 0 AP/IB credits
Shadowed at 17 for ~40 hours, shadowing starting April for ~50 hours, then in the summer for ~100 hours
Volunteered at hospital ~50 hours
Research since I was 16 at Stony Brook (16), Rockefeller (17), Long Island University (19)
Worked for a non-profit organization geared towards promoting health education - taught health education workshops and started a research project
Took a class called Mini-medical school at UMDNJ for a semester where I was given tours of the hospital, attended lectures by faculty and students, current medical students gave insight into pre-med courses, admissions, med school
Volunteer at local temple since I was 15
Volunteer for Relay for Life since I was 15
Avid piano player since I was 9
Member of Rotaract club in HS and college, where we worked with local organizations to clean the city, tutor children, paint orphanages, etc.
Member of school magazine
NY resident

I know my MCAT scores are severely lacking, but I was just wondering what my chances are. I do plan on raising my score to at least a 28. I am interested in MD and DO schools. Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, how long and how did you study for the MCAT for both tests you took? Let us evaluate from here.

You will get interviews at DO schools for sure, but not so sure about MD. Apply broadly and hope for the best. Also, only retake the MCAT if you're 100% sure you'll do better, and that you've actually put in time to prepare and study. Everything else looks pretty awesome. Congrats on graduating in three years.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
MD very unlikely with those MCAT scores. Maybe a chance at DO. Why are you scoring so low? Maybe try taking the princeton review class?

Hi! I am new to SDN, always browsing, finally gave into making an account :p
So I took the MCAT in July did VERY badly, and took it again.
July 2011 7/7/6 O (eek!):scared::(
January 2012 9/9/8 L (5 point improvement, but blanked out during WS. Also, test was hard!!)
My practice tests were higher, highest being a 29 - 11/8/10 (highest scores in each section)
I am taking it again in April, of course I plan to increase my score to at least a 28. I am hoping for higher, of course.
GPA ~3.84 cum ~3.8 science
graduating this May - finished honors college degree in 3 years BA biology, came in with 0 AP/IB credits
Shadowed at 17 for ~40 hours, shadowing starting April for ~50 hours, then in the summer for ~100 hours
Volunteered at hospital ~50 hours
Research since I was 16 at Stony Brook (16), Rockefeller (17), Long Island University (19)
Worked for a non-profit organization geared towards promoting health education - taught health education workshops and started a research project
Took a class called Mini-medical school at UMDNJ for a semester where I was given tours of the hospital, attended lectures by faculty and students, current medical students gave insight into pre-med courses, admissions, med school
Volunteer at local temple since I was 15
Volunteer for Relay for Life since I was 15
Avid piano player since I was 9
Member of Rotaract club in HS and college, where we worked with local organizations to clean the city, tutor children, paint orphanages, etc.
Member of school magazine
NY resident

I know my MCAT scores are severely lacking, but I was just wondering what my chances are. I do plan on raising my score to at least a 28. I am interested in MD and DO schools. Thank you!!!

Your clinical volunteering is average to slightly below average, @ 50 hours. I would bone up on hours and really assess what went wrong with the MCAT...that will lower your competitiveness in the numbers department, in which case they will scruntinize your ECs IME

I can do so much better, it's just that I get so nervous. The first time I took it I was so nervous my stomach was in knots! The second time I was more confident by I got nervous when I realized how hard it was. I also psyched myself out. And I make a ton of stupid mistakes, those account for half my mistakes. I am studyin everyday, not for like 6 hours since I'm taking a full course load. But a couple hours a day reviewing what I'm weak in them doing EK questions on the topic then doing Kaplan passages. I also make sure to do verbal passages everyday. A month before I will be doing practice tests every other day.

Podiatry? Nah. Medicine's the only thing I've ever wanted my entire life, since I was 5! I've never wanted something so bad in my life. Gahh mcats =/
I have a friend who applied this past summer end of July, 3.8 gpa 28 mcat, just did ~100 hours hospital volunteering ~50 hours shadowing and got 6 MD interviews and 2 MD acceptances. URM though, don't know how much that helped. Back to studying I go..!

Podiatry? Nah. Medicine's the only thing I've ever wanted my entire life, since I was 5! I've never wanted something so bad in my life. Gahh mcats =/
I have a friend who applied this past summer end of July, 3.8 gpa 28 mcat, just did ~100 hours hospital volunteering ~50 hours shadowing and got 6 MD interviews and 2 MD acceptances. URM though, don't know how much that helped. Back to studying I go..!

It's probably not best to compare yourself to someone applying as a URM. You seem like a pretty competitive applicant for most DO schools, but if you prefer MD, you will probably have to re-take the MCAT. Not saying it's impossible (you can check the below 30 MCAT thread for more info), but it may be difficult. I would suggest checking out the 3 month MCAT study schedule in the MCAT discussion forum if you decide to re-take.

if i raise my score to a 28-30, how much of a better chance will i have?

if i raise my score to a 28-30, how much of a better chance will i have?

If you raised to a 28 you would definitely get in DO. 26 and your ECs, you are set for DO. You would have a small chance for MD, but I would bet that you'd be unsuccessful. It is still possible if you raise. But you better raise. If you lower it, it is going to be very bad.

First year med student here at an MD school. I took the MCAT four times before I got in and applied four years in a row before I finally got accepted (waitlisted three years in a row). My MCAT scores were 27, 26, 28, and finally I got a 30 on the fourth test. I also went to the Masters program at Boston University School of Medicine and did pretty well there (3.65).

As you prolly already know, it's your MCAT that's keeping you out, it was the same case for me mostly. The rest of your application looks great. With time and age I think I finally just got better at it and you will too if you keep at it and keep studying. You have to be honest with yourself whether you want to keep going (took me 4 years) but it's definitely possible for you to get in somewhere if you crack 29ish, but preferably 31+. If it's truly your dream you can make it!

Honestly, I wouldn't keep taking the mcat if i were you. Just apply to Osteopathic programs and be happy.

Your clinical volunteering is average to slightly below average, @ 50 hours. I would bone up on hours and really assess what went wrong with the MCAT...that will lower your competitiveness in the numbers department, in which case they will scruntinize your ECs IME

Really? I have, from 2004 (high school) -2011, 184 hours...I only did summer times :\ I was hoping that showed committment that I continued from high school until I was hired.

Really? I have, from 2004 (high school) -2011, 184 hours...I only did summer times :\ I was hoping that showed committment that I continued from high school until I was hired.

my pre-health advisor told me that if you continued it from high school and it is a big part of your life, put it on your app. i would definitely put it on my app if i continued it from HS :)