MD 3.85 cGPA/ 3.88 sGPA, Taking 2015 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RIhusky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am entering my junior year at a well-ranked public university in New England. I am an OOS student at this school, and am a Rhode Island native. I am a white male, both of my parents are college-educated engineers, and there are no medical doctors in my family tree.

cGPA: 3.85, sGPA: 3.88, taking the 2015 MCAT next spring.

My GPA shows a very solid upward trend; lowest semester GPA was my first semester, I had all A's and one A- sophomore year. I take between 17 and 20 credits each semester (except the first).

Extracurriculars
-President & founder of a volunteer high-school outreach student organization. Working with two schools currently.
-Honors program
-I do a lot of free tutoring, especially in chemistry. I'm not employed by the school, but I usually find myself tutoring one or more people several times a week. I'm not sure if this is something I could list...

Leadership
-President & Founder of a volunteer high-school outreach organization, we have about 20 members and are quickly growing. We work with two public high school in less fortunate areas, and expect to receive interest from more schools soon.
-AFS gap year - Lived in Italy for 10 months after graduating high school early, attended an Italian public school. Went to many schools across Italy to serve as an AFS ambassador as a part of the exchange program. Became fluent in Italian.

Employment
-Worked as a summer camp counselor throughout high school
-During the summer between freshman and sophomore year of college, I worked for a manufacturing firm doing general labor, both in the office and in the warehouse
-Currently interning (paid) in materials science at a very well-known pharmaceutical firm.

Volunteering
-Aforementioned volunteer high school outreach organization
->100 hours volunteering at a community farm in my hometown; worked to design and install their irrigation/fertilization system
-Did a lot of volunteer work with my study abroad program as a part of my gap year

Shadowing/Clinical
I currently have about ~25 hours in pediatric medicine (ongoing), and have more hours scheduled with pediatrics and internal medicine. I will also be shadowing a radiologist over the next few months.

Research
(I have a ridiculous number of research hours)
-I have been in an inorganic chemistry research lab at my university for the past three semesters (and will be continuing the research). I have been working with a graduate student on the same project over this time, and it will result in a research paper soon.
-My honors thesis research is in using computer modeling to predict excitability of neurons in a certain area of the brain based on the distribution of a type of potassium channel. I am the only student working on the project.
-As a part of my internship, I am doing research in the use of a subset of NMR technology to assess certain properties of the active pharmaceutical ingredient in drug products. The compound I am working with is an an oncology drug. This research has produced a poster (first author) and will also produce a paper that will list me as an author. I was employed full time to pursue this endeavor this summer, and it is likely that I will be asked to return next summer to continue the research.

Awards
-Dean's List - every semester
-2013 New England Scholar (maintain a 3.7 or higher GPA in the spring and fall 2013 semesters)

Hobbies
Skiing, hiking, camping, building a huge variety of things (model rockets, chicken coop, electric guitar, etc...)

I know that MCAT score is usually a part of these "what are my chances" threads, but I would really like some input as far as where I can improve myself as an applicant. I know that my biggest weakness is my clinical/shadowing areas, but I will be working to improve those areas of my application. I am planning on taking the MCAT in the spring, and am fairly confident in my abilities to do well on it (Good test-taker).

I am interested in pediatrics and radiology, but I am very strongly considering pursuing an MD/PhD and working in pharmaceuticals.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to know where I should be working to improve. I am also interested in hearing opinions as far as medical schools that I should be considering when I apply (hopefully next spring/summer). Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like a sweet app so far. We can't really give you any ideas on where to apply until you have an MCAT though. Even if you had 5-10 practice tests with reliable scores, it'd still be a shot in the dark if we gave you a list because who knows what can happen on test day.

I'd suggest getting access to MSAR online and you can start looking at schools where your GPA is in line with their stats and start learning as much as possible about in state preference, racial preference, mission preference, etc etc etc.

You need clinical volunteering. Patient experience. You currently have none if I'm not missing anything (shadowing doesn't count). Check out hospitals, hospice, nursing homes for volunteering options.

Have you ever actually talked to a patient? Forget the shadowing and show us that you really want to be around sick people for the next 30-40 years, and that you know what you're getting into.

You'd get rejected for that lack of clinical experience at my school and elsewhere.

Shadowing/Clinical
I currently have about ~25 hours in pediatric medicine (ongoing), and have more hours scheduled with pediatrics and internal medicine. I will also be shadowing a radiologist over the next few months.