This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grandslam123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think that the list looks fairly good. You should also add a few more lower tier schools. Some to consider might be Hofstra, VCU, possibly Vermont, and Wake Forest.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Solid list. Would recommend boosting the ECs. Service with the less fortunate would really help you. A gap year to boost your ECs could help alot as well if you are gunning for big names. Consider adding some of the following; Jefferson Colorado USC UVA U of Arizona USF Wake Forest Hofstra Stony Brook(maybe) Cincinnati and Wisconsin

You're golden, aim high

RACE: ORM
MAJOR: Biology
STATE: MA resident
YEAR: Junior
GPA: 3.85c/3.81s
MCAT: 518 (stronger on Chem/Phys & Bio)
VOLUNTEERING: Standard ~150 hospital ~50-75 nonclinical with underserved
SHADOWING: ~50 hours across 3 specialties
RESEARCH: 1.5 years by applying, No pubs
OTHER ECs: Somewhat extensive tutoring/teaching, also love intramural sports

Overall I guess my ECs are the weakest part of my app as I have nothing that really stands out. Lately I really grown to really enjoy research, but since I started relatively late I don't think I'll have anything to show for it by the time I apply (no pubs/posters). I think it's definitely something I'd want to focus on in med school, but I'm worried that my lack of experience so far will hold me back with research focused schools.

Ideally I'd like my list to look something like this (too top heavy?):
WashU
Duke
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
NYU
Case Western
Pitt
Tufts
BU
Einstein
Rochester
Dartmouth
UMass

I currently attend one of the higher ranked schools on this list for undergrad if it makes any difference

Can anybody offer any advice on schools to add or remove, or maybe some way to emphasize my interest in research despite not having pubs/posters?

Strong app and pretty good list. But I agree with wedgedawg, you may want to add 5 or so more schools.

Can you give the lists of the books that you used?