MD & DO 3.88 CGPA, 3.95 SGPA and 29 MCAT, Chance at MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BGMayagi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My SGPA is about 3.95 and my CGPA is about 3.88 (thank you nursing classes). My MCAT just came back with 29 (10/10/9). Now that I have some stats, I'm curious where I stand and where I should apply exactly, also what are some weak points that I can fix before June?

I'm currently an RN that's working full time nights in the ED while taking a decent course load of organic chem/nursing classes to finish my BSN. I've been an RN for 3 years and once I found out I really loved medicine enough to commit to med school, I started pursuing the dream. I'm nontraditional and currently 27.
I was an Army Military Police Vet and that was my primary career before I decided to pursue a career in health care. I'm the first college graduate in my entire family so I never though about a career in medicine until a little late in the game.

My stats are:
About 4500 hours clinical experience as an RN(mainly in the ED, Med-Surg, Critical floors) but some of those hours were also in the OR (about 8-12 if you include endo procedures), 20 hours on a psych floor. Most of these hours are working with or observing physicians.
Army Vet.
Only 10 hrs. volunteer experience in 2009
Currently starting to volunteer with the Red Cross
Will have one teacher LOR(due to being out of school for years) and multiple MD/DO LOR

I'm not doing any research at all. I'm contemplating shadowing if anyone thinks I'll need it but I have a very good idea of what quite a few physicians do on a regular basis and I talk with them frequently at work(sometimes giving advice, helping with procedures/codes...etc).
I'm thinking my volunteering is my big weakness, I was thinking about just getting a minimum 50 hours just to say I did because I'm already swamped with working/school/keeping the wife happy.
Is there anything I may be able to do that can boost my app? What are my chances? Also how do these schools look for an app list(newly NY resident but trying to stay out of the city):

Albany Med(my absolute 1# school, I live very close by, any chance?)
SUNY
NYMC
Univ. at Buffalo
Univ. at Rochester
UNECOM
RVUCOM
Drexel
LECOM
UVCOM

(Will have more, planning to apply 20+ Schools)
Any other schools that I should add that's in the New England area or any MD schools I should apply for in more rural areas?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I really need to know if my ECs will make MD schools possible, especially Albany. Also what other schools I should add to the list. I feel like me ECs may be weak but I'm not sure if they are or if i should really ramp it up especially with a borderline MCAT?

I guess I really need to know if my ECs will make MD schools possible, especially Albany. Also what other schools I should add to the list. I feel like me ECs may be weak but I'm not sure if they are or if i should really ramp it up especially with a borderline MCAT?
You look good for Albany to me.
The rest of your list is also good (except Rochester!).
A few more targets would be nice. Did you look at the MSAR yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't purchased the MSAR yet. I was too worried I'd bomb the MCAT but now that I have some numbers, I'm trying to get an idea of how to best prepare to apply since it now seems possible. Albany would just be huge for me because my wife likes her job and I hate moving but I'll do whatever it takes to live the dream.

I haven't purchased the MSAR yet. I was too worried I'd bomb the MCAT but now that I have some numbers, I'm trying to get an idea of how to best prepare to apply since it now seems possible. Albany would just be huge for me because my wife likes her job and I hate moving but I'll do whatever it takes to live the dream.
You are a very good DO candidate and you have a shot at MD schools. Apply early and come back with the rest of your list.

So my finished list is:
Albany,
Suny upstate/buffalo/stoneybrook
Drexel
East Virginia Med
NYMC
Frank H Netter
University of Vermont
Virgina Commonwealth
Wayne
Lecom E and B
Unecom
RVUCOM
Western NW
AZCom
Nova
DMU
KCOM
KCUCOM
VCOM VC and CC
Touro Nev ( not sure, require prereqs finished when applying)
LMU possibly,
Maybe a few other OOS friendly MD state schools,

Does this seem reasonable? 25-30 schools and I will be submitting by mid June at least

Last edited:
wayne state's a bit of a random choice but otherwise looks good. there are a few more MD schools in the northeast you are competitive for as well (look at PA in particular)

Look at last year's school specific thread for Eastern Virginia's MCAT cutoff. I don't remember what it was, but several of us were rejected pre-secondary last year. I have a similar story and GPA, but my MCAT was a few points lower. Obviously they could have rejected for something different, but if I remember correctly, it was a theme.

For MD you could add Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis, Creighton, Temple, Jefferson, Penn State and Commonwealth (PA).

Ill definitely add those to the list. That would put me at 30-35 schools, is that overkill?

I have 2 more working on them. They're nursing professors but that is a science course technically so could work,and my work Supervisor wrote me a letter as well.

I have 2 more working on them. They're nursing professors but that is a science course technically so could work,and my work Supervisor wrote me a letter as well.
nursing practice professors generally would not be considered science professors, unless maybe they were PhDs and it was a basic science-oriented course

The nursing professors are all I have. I'm hoping theyll give me a break as a non trad student and let me substitute at least one letter for a supervisor letter