3.88 cGPA, 521 MCAT, no research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray Med

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA and sGPA:
3.88 and 3.78, respectively, as calculated by AMCAS.
No major upward or downward trends, my grades stayed consistent throughout.

Majors and Minor
Majors: Cell & Molec Bio; International Relations; Asian Studies
Minor: Chinese Language.

Languages
English, Spanish and Chinese (Mandarin): all with very high proficiency
By the time I matriculate I will also have completed two semesters of intermediate Arabic

Undergraduate
Widely known and from my knowledge well respected. Well ranked, but certainly not in the top tier.

MCAT score
Total: 521
130 in CARS
131 in Psychology and Sociology
128 in Physical Sciences (messed this one up, hope it isn't too much of an issue)
132 in Biological Sciences

State of Residence
Washington State
Ethnicity
Caucasian (father's side of the family is Iraqi, but I guess that still counts as "white" on this section)
Clinical Volunteerism
~400 hours helping to train type 1 diabetic children and working to create and implement a Spanish communications program in an under-resourced hospital
Non-Clinical Volunteerism
Administrative support for American Diabetes Association
Volunteer at an Alzheimer's care center
Helped to design and run a major outreach program (repeated yearly) which invites inner-city students at under-resourced high schools to my college campus to spend an entire day learning basic lab techniques in the context of a CSI mystery.
Participated in and helped to organize a program to take science experiments straight to the classrooms of middleschool students to introduce them to basic chemistry concepts
Political campaigning with the JDRF for stem cell research funding (meeting with senators and congressmen)
Research Experience
NONE - I'm expecting that this will be the weakest part of my application. In my defense, I specifically decided to pursue an undergraduate degree in America so that I could spend time studying subjects other than strictly medicine/science before committing to it, and so instead dedicated my time elsewhere. (I am an American citizen, but have been abroad much of my life. I also applied straight to med schools in the U.K. when I was applying to U.S. undergraduate schools). I don't know if this will be enough of an explanation as to why I don't have research experience.
Shadowing Experience
~300 hours majority with anesthesiology, and some with general surgery
Leadership
Vice-President of Biology and Biochemistry Club
President of Krav Maga club (Krav Maga is a self defense system)
Honors/Awards
Freshman Writing competition
Outstanding student award at Chinese University when I studied abroad

I believe I have a strong personal statement (though obviously this is subjective and hard to judge) and will definitely have strong LORs
I'll be submitting my primary on the first day it becomes available

My current list:
Columbia
Duke
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
NYU
Northwestern
Stanford
UCSF
UCLA
University of Chicago
Cornell
Yale
Mt. Sinai
Baylor
Mayo
Tulane
UNC Chapel Hill
University of Washington (in-state)
Georgetown
Emory
USC Keck

I know this list is VERY top heavy, and does have a lot of research powerhouses. I'm looking for the knowledge of SDN: how am I doing? How are my chances? What changes would you make to my list?
Thank you to everyone for your sharing your knowledge!

Members don't see this ad.

No research is going to hurt your chances for Harvard, JHU, UCSF, Stanford. You have a shot at the rest with your stats.

I see maybe 5 schools on this current list you can really go in saying you have a reasonable shot at getting a II at and can call them targets. In Washington, that's not enough. Keep in mind only 20/69 people who applied to U of Wash last year with these stats were accepted: it's a really really competitive area.

2/3 of your list right now is research powerhouses with 35-36+ median MCATs. When you dont have research experience, that's not ideal and that ratio should go down. Some research powerhouses are fine but keep in mind 95% of the students there have research experience with the ones who dont often being URMs, military vets etc. Try some sure, but set your expectations accordingly.

In terms of OOS target schools get MSAR and identify schools with an MCAT median around 34-35 that are OOS friendly and get <10k apps. Ohio State, UVA, Einstein etc are some in that same ilk. Emory and Keck are good options on your current list. UNC in this case specifically is fine to keep OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
No research is going to hurt your chances for Harvard, JHU, UCSF, Stanford. You have a shot at the rest with your stats.

It's going to hurt for >50% of schools on their list, and while OPs ECs are not bad, they are not strong enough by themselves to fully compensate for a total 100% lack of research. That being said, it's still probably worth applying to them and seeing if they get any bites, but it's also prudent to make sure there is a solid mid-tier foundation to catch them if they fall through the top 20 net.

Why not just take a gap year and do research, and then apply?

Thanks everyone for the responses!
So if I am understanding your advice properly it is that applying to some of these schools isn't a "waste of time", but that I should apply to a few more mid-tier schools?
Alpha Beta: I have been considering this, but am really trying to avoid a gap year if at all possible.
Thanks again everyone for the help!

Baylor, UNC, and Georgetown are probably a waste of time (first two due to residency preferences, last one due to volume of apps combined with your stats). UCLA might also not be worth it due to the fact that it mostly matriculates CA applicants (even though there is supposedly no stated bias). UCSF is more OOS friendly than UCLA. However, both UCLA and UCSF pre-screen secondaries, so it's really no skin off your back either way.

I might add Einstein, Rochester, UVA, Hofstra, and Michigan. There's also that new WA school (Washington State I think?) that I would add if they're accepting apps this year.

Thanks, Wedgedog!
I'll definitely spend some time with the MSAR and add some of the schools that you have suggested!

Reactions: 1 user
I would keep UNC Keck Emory U of Wash and Tulane on your old list

Pick about 8-10 research powerhouses a shot and give it a go. Ones with the biggest class sizes are your best bet( ie Pitt CWRU and Northwestern)

Pick another 6-8 schools with an MCAT median around 34-35 that are OOS friendly( UVA Ohio St etc)

That'll be plenty

Last edited: