3.89 cGPA, 3.85 sGPA, 32Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hanzz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just figured I would drop my stats here and see what you guys think regarding my chances and what are the best med schools I should I apply to.

cGPA: 3.89
sGPA: 3.85
MCAT: 32Q (11P/11V/10B)
Major: biochem

-Placed 3rd on the Jeopardy! College Championship tournament (out of 15 contestants and 10,000 applicants)
-PreMed Club (officer three years, 2 as Social VP, 1 as Editor)
-Spanish Interpretor for physicians offices, physical therapy appointments, and law depositions (4 summers)
-RAM (Remote Area Medical) Clinic volunteer
-Symphony orchestra (3 years, 2nd trombone)
-Intramural College Bowl (3 years, champion twice, runner-up once)
-SonRise campus wide interactive Easter dramatic presentation (2 years)
-Work: chemistry tutor for 2 years; biology, chemistry, and physics TA & reader for 2 years, two summers of at a movie theater

This summer I am going on a mission trip to Malaysia for three weeks, and I also hope to get a little bit more shadowing under my belt.

I go to a Seventh-day Adventist school right now so my primary target is probably going to be Loma Linda, but I'd like to cast a wider net, specifically to Vanderbilt, Boston U, and a few colleges other Cali or New England colleges. I guess a few specific questions are: a) Should I emphasize the Jeopardy! participation? I feel like that's unique enough that med schools would perk up, yet also an opportunity to demonstrate calm under pressure, etc, qualities like that. B) How bad is it that I haven't done any research, and the only research I'll do will be as part of a class and honors my senior year? C) Should I wait until after my Malaysia trip (which ends July 18) to submit my AMCAS, or can I put it down as a future event? I've also done some mission work in a similar vein abroad in high school, should I put that down as well, to show that I'm continuing that kind of work?

Thanks so much!

Edit: oh, and also, Hispanic, if that helps (but with a very unfortunate German sounding name).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Just figured I would drop my stats here and see what you guys think regarding my chances and what are the best med schools I should I apply to.

cGPA: 3.89
sGPA: 3.85
MCAT: 32Q (11P/11V/10B)
Major: biochem

-Placed 3rd on the Jeopardy! College Championship tournament (out of 15 contestants and 10,000 applicants)
-PreMed Club (officer three years, 2 as Social VP, 1 as Editor)
-Spanish Interpretor for physicians offices, physical therapy appointments, and law depositions (4 summers)
-RAM (Remote Area Medical) Clinic volunteer
-Symphony orchestra (3 years, 2nd trombone)
-Intramural College Bowl (3 years, champion twice, runner-up once)
-SonRise campus wide interactive Easter dramatic presentation (2 years)
-Work: chemistry tutor for 2 years; biology, chemistry, and physics TA & reader for 2 years, two summers of at a movie theater

This summer I am going on a mission trip to Malaysia for three weeks, and I also hope to get a little bit more shadowing under my belt.

I go to a Seventh-day Adventist school right now so my primary target is probably going to be Loma Linda, but I'd like to cast a wider net, specifically to Vanderbilt, Boston U, and a few colleges other Cali or New England colleges.

I guess a few specific questions are:
a) Should I emphasize the Jeopardy! participation? I feel like that's unique enough that med schools would perk up, yet also an opportunity to demonstrate calm under pressure, etc, qualities like that.
B) How bad is it that I haven't done any research, and the only research I'll do will be as part of a class and honors my senior year?
C) Should I wait until after my Malaysia trip (which ends July 18) to submit my AMCAS, or can I put it down as a future event? I've also done some mission work in a similar vein abroad in high school, should I put that down as well, to show that I'm continuing that kind of work?

Edit: oh, and also, Hispanic, if that helps (but with a very unfortunate German sounding name).
a) I don't know about "emphaszie" it but definitely list it. I agree that it's unique.

b) You have particular strength to make up for its lack in other areas, but think twice about applying to research strong schools when you have no experience to relate.

c) No, you can't put it in the Experiences section as a future event. but you could mention it at the end of the PS, a place where you could also refer to the HS trip.

If you submit July 18, it could well take three weeks to get your transcripts verified. It would not be advantageous for you to wait that long as you have sufficient clinical experience otherwise. Instead, report on the experience in future update letters, interview conversations, or Secondary essays. Your interpreter position has embedded shadowing if you were working with physicians (so be sure to emphasize that if you have no formal shadowing) and international shadowing is of less importance to adcomms.