MD 3.9/36 First TIME applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daitong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'll give a brief cliffnotes of my application:
(Relatively cookie cutter, not taking a gap year hopefully)

> Asian (=(, non-underrep), Illinois Resident, Top 5 Engineering School
> Specific Engineering Program Ranked #2 in the Country
> 3.9 cGPA, probably 3.75+ sGPA, 36 MCAT (12 PS,11 VR, 13 BS)
> Heavily involved in fraternity philanthropy/leadership
> Various tutoring experiences (300+ hours)
> Shadowing (100+ hours)
> Misc Volunteering (250+hours)
> Clinical Volunteering (~120 hours)
> Research (~5 semesters, 2 poster presentations, 1 first author undergraduate pub, 1 coming 3rd author publication in "real" journal); REU

> Registered Student organization club head (2x)
> Teaching assistant (1 semester, introductory engineering course)

> Business consulting (1 semester, ongoing, 20% selectivity)
> Reputable internship in R+D this summer, before interviews for the upcoming cycle

> Misc competitive hobbies (powerlifting)
-------

Now here comes the hard part: I'm thinking of applying to 22+ schools, but I have a feeling that I need to take some selections out and add in more "target" schools. Writing so many essays, even if there is overlap, might decrease the overall quality esp since I'll be working full time from June to August + taking an online class.

Please let me know if any of the below schools are simply not worth it to apply in terms of the work required, or which schools I should consider adding/removing, esp UC schools (though I believe they are disadvantaged toward out of staters, and I don't want to pay a substantial difference in tuition between schools). But any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance!!

----------------
Illinois schools:
> UIC College of Medicine
> Loyola- Stritch
> UChicago- Pritzker
> Northwestern- Feinberg
> Rush Medical College

Remaining:

Reach:
> Harvard
> Stanford
> John Hop
> UPenn
> Wash U (?, consider removing)
> Yale
> Columbia
> Duke
> Cornell
> Vanderbilt
> NYU

Target:
> Baylor
> Case Western
> Emory
> UW Madison
> Boston
> Brown
> Dartmouth
> Georgetown
> Saint Louis University

Possibilities:
> UT South Western
> Ohio State

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I like your app. Everything seems solid. Maybe add some more clinical volunteering during the gap year, but I'm sure you will be fine. Unfortunately, all the school that you have chosen requires you to deadlift at least 600lbs. sorry bro!!

Your list looks fine to me. You have a solid app. You'll do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like your app. Everything seems solid. Maybe add some more clinical volunteering during the gap year, but I'm sure you will be fine. Unfortunately, all the school that you have chosen requires you to deadlift at least 600lbs. sorry bro!!

Shoot... Would it be bad that I'm not taking a gap year?

Nothing wrong with aiming high!
Goro's list

----------------
Illinois schools:
> UIC College of Medicine
> Loyola- Stritch
> UChicago- Pritzker
> Northwestern- Feinberg
> Rush Medical College

> Harvard
> Stanford
> John Hop
> UPenn
> Wash U (maybe)
> Yale
> Columbia
> Duke
> Cornell
> Vanderbilt
> NYU
> Baylor
> Case Western
> Emory
> UW Madison
> Boston
> Dartmouth
USC
> Saint Louis University
Mt Sinai
Einstein

> Ohio State
U Cincy
IU
U Toledo
U IA
MCW

What for?

Would it kill my chances at these schools? I personally just don't want a year in between because I'd likely be working a corporate job and strengthening my app. I don't like the uncertainty =(

Would it kill my chances at these schools? I personally just don't want a year in between because I'd likely be working a corporate job and strengthening my app. I don't like the uncertainty =(
I don't see the reason for a gap year. Unless you just want a break.

What I meant by gap year is the time between submitting the app until you start medical school, which is a year. Sorry for that, you don't need to take any time off

What I meant by gap year is the time between submitting the app until you start medical school, which is a year. Sorry for that, you don't need to take any time off
Gotcha. Thanks.