MD 3.9 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 33 - List of Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premixis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just looking for some feedback on my list of schools (NY Resident, preferably stay close within the east coast). I've taken some time to modify my list of schools, but I still think I might have too many and need help cutting a few out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cGPA - 3.9
sGPA - 3.8
MCAT - 33 |11P|11V|11B|

List of Schools:
  • Albany
  • Einstein
  • BU
  • Columbia (10th percentile bio falls within range and physics/verbal are on par)
  • Drexel
  • Dartmouth
  • GW
  • Georgetown
  • Hofstra NS-LIJ
  • NYU
  • Jefferson
  • SUNY Buffalo
  • SUNY Downstate
  • SUNY Upstate
  • Stony Brook
  • Temple
  • Brown
  • Tufts
  • Rochester
  • Cornell
Removed:
  • Vermont (High OOS Tuition)
  • Maryland (Low OOS Matriculation, High OOS Tution)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Just looking for some feedback on my list of schools (NY Resident, preferably stay close within the east coast). I plan to have a list of ~12 to 15 schools but looking at the MSAR, this is my initial list of schools to be within reach. I know my bio section might hurt my chances at a lot of these medical schools and any insight about what to add/remove would be greatly appreciated.

cGPA - 3.9
sGPA - 3.8
MCAT - 33 |12P|11V|10B|

Clinical Volunteering:
  • 300 hours in the same unit at a hospital over 1.5 years and still an active volunteer
  • Shadowing - 150 hours (surgeons, radiologists, primary care, ED etc...)
  • 80 hours volunteering abroad in a small clinical setting
Research:
  • 1000+ hours, possibility of second authorship in early fall (with presentations at a research conference at my university)

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
  • 100 hours tutoring for under-served youth
  • 50 hours with a program to aid children with disabilities

Extracurricular:
  • On the executive board of a club (2 years)

Employment:
  • Directed a program that provided under-served youth with access to test preparation and guidance through the college admissions process (1 summer, 300 hours)
  • Lab Technician (private industry - 1 summer, 450 hours)
List of Schools:
  • Einstein
  • Weill Cornell
  • Hofstra
  • SUNY Downstate
  • Stonybrook University
  • Boston University
  • Brown
  • University of Rochester
  • Tufts
You are missing some state schools.

Yeah, if you've added Rochester, then add SUNY Upstate and Buffalo as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are missing some state schools.

Yeah, if you've added Rochester, then add SUNY Upstate and Buffalo as well.

Thanks for the input, I'll definitely add a few more state schools to my list. Looking at the MSAR it seems like some of the schools I listed have a 10th percentile acceptance with a biology subsection score of 10.. How badly would a 10 on this section impact my chances (I'll be okay, harm somewhat, terribly harm, don't bother applying to some)?

Scratch Brown unless you're an undergrad or RI resident.

Scratch Brown unless you're an undergrad or RI resident.

Thanks for the heads up. Will the 10 bio sub-score significantly harm my chances at any of the universities that I've listed? Also, what do you guys think about including schools in Pennsylvania? (Ex: Jefferson Medical College, Temple School of Medicine, Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Jefferson Medical College)? Any others that I missed?

Goro suggests:

ALL SUNYs
U VT
Colorado
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Emory
USC
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Creighton
Any new MD school, especially Hofstra
Any DO program

So I've taken some time to modify my list of schools, but I still think I might have too many and need help cutting a few out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Albany
  • Einstein
  • BU
  • Columbia (10th percentile bio falls within range and physics/verbal are on par)
  • Drexel
  • Dartmouth
  • GW
  • Georgetown
  • Hofstra NS-LIJ
  • NYU
  • Jefferson
  • SUNY Buffalo
  • SUNY Downstate
  • SUNY Upstate
  • Stony Brook
  • Temple
  • Brown
  • Tufts
  • Rochester
  • Cornell
Removed:
  • Vermont (High OOS Tuition)
  • Maryland (Low OOS Matriculation, High OOS Tution)

Thanks for the reply @gyngyn! I have been working on biochemical cancer research in the same lab for the past year now and have over 1000+ hours of research experience. I will be completing an honors thesis on my research and have the possibility of being an author once this research is published. Do you think I should leave Cornell/Columbia on my list?

Thanks for the reply @gyngyn! I have been working on biochemical cancer research in the same lab for the past year now and have over 1000+ hours of research experience. I will be completing an honors thesis on my research and have the possibility of being an author once this research is published. Do you think I should leave Cornell/Columbia on my list?
maybe...