3.9 GPA, 24 MCAT, Asian, a LOT of extracurriculars, please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dangitandy

now living in Miami, Florida
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to hear some advice. I am ready for any kind of feedback, whether it is positive or negative. I am looking to apply to DO schools, and I wanted to list some of my stats and see what you guys thought. I completely understand that stats and a resume of my college career does not determine my chances, but I would love to hear with you guys think. Thanks everyone;

Please help me out and give me some recommended DO schools to apply to as well, I know with my lower MCAT that I will not be able to apply to those high end DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Jeeze, with a 7 in Bio, I'd auto-reject you.

Suggest targeting the newest schools:
ACOM
KYCOM
CUSOM
all three VCOMs
MUCOM
Wm Carey
LMU
Burrell

Skip the NY and CA Toruos, PCOM, KCUMB, CCOM, DMU, Western and AZCOM.
I can't recommend LUCOM.

Please help me out and give me some recommended DO schools to apply to as well, I know with my lower MCAT that I will not be able to apply to those high end DO schools.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
Alright. Appreciate the honesty. Thank you. Would appreciate more input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Standardized testing just was NOT my strength, and I knew this even with the ACT in high school.

Yikes, the MCAT score is alarming when looking at the rest of your application. I know you didn't ask, but I strongly recommend you fix this; it is severely hurting your strength as an applicant. In medical school, and throughout your career, you will have an onslaught of standardized tests. So it's not like you can just get past this one test, get into medical school, and everything will be dandy. Performing poorly on the COMLEX and so on is going to limit your career options down the road.

I know you didn't ask, but I strongly recommend you fix this; it is severely hurting your strength as an applicant. In medical school, and throughout your career, you will have an onslaught of standardized tests. So it's not like you can just get past this one test, get into medical school, and everything will be dandy. Performing poorly on the COMLEX and so on is going to limit your career options down the road.

Thank you. I will look to improving this by dedicating more time, more practice tests in the future, and looking for help EARLY in any test taking process I may go through in medical school.

Do you have any opinions after reading my post on chances for DO schools?

Thank you. I will look to improving this by dedicating more time, more practice tests in the future, and looking for help EARLY in any test taking process I may go through in medical school.

Do you have any opinions after reading my post on chances for DO schools?
Goro is an AdCom at an established DO school, I would follow his advice in this regard. Unfortunately, your options are limited. Best of luck friend

Goro is an AdCom at an established DO school, I would follow his advice in this regard. Unfortunately, your options are limited. Best of luck friend

Ah, thank you. Definitely will look into his list. Appreciate any advice, thanks everyone.

I honestly believe you have a better chance if you study during your gap year, and perhaps getting some help for the MCAT. It is a dreaded exam, I know believe me. I took it personally 3 times, but my experience taking the exam was slightly different since my struggle was only in VR.

I am an Asian-American applicant with your GPA and similar MCAT score on the first 2 tries - except my PS/BS was on competitive range and only section that I struggled on was on VR as I alluded previously. I actually got into a MD program this year after taking 2 gap years - first gap year where I work as a research assistant for clinical trials, volunteered, shadowed, and studied for MCAT. Took the MCAT and did well; now in second gap year (and soon to be going to medical school) I continue to work, but now in transnational research, volunteer, and shadowed clinicians that are related to my research.

Point is, if you really want to get into a medical school, I think you will have a better success in getting into a medical school DO/MD compared to the stats you have now.

Best of luck.

Thank you for the reply. It is scary to think about taking it a 3rd time, but definitely will be an option. Thank you so much for your advice, it really does help to hear someone with a similar situation and to hear that you made it.

Any other DO school lists or chances thoughts would be appreciated.

What is your state of residence?

In my opinion, you really need to retake the mcat and do well (at least a 28 for DO) and at least a 32 for MD, given the track record of your previous mcats.

with a 3.9 and good ECs, i don't think a 32 is necessary, even with the old 24. for MD, a retake is necessary, especially since it looks like you're not retaining a lot of the stuff you learned in undergrad, but 70-75th percentile should give you a good shot

Thank you for your advice Vain.

Here is my list so far, any thoughts? Am I missing any colleges that I may have a chance in given my stats? Any that would be too far of a reach? Been doing a LOT of research

ACOM
VCOM-Auburn
VCOM-CC
VCOM-VC
CUSOM
MU-COM (MUCOM)
ATSU-SOMA
WCU-COM
RVUCOM
LMU-DCOM
PNWU

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
He said he got a 3.9, what do you mean get a >3.5 gpa?

I would HIGHLY suggest re-taking the MCAT and trying to raise that score. The rest of your app looks pretty solid even for MD schools but the 24 MCAT is a huge red flag (as are any scores below 8) especially in context of your GPA. Also, I don't think most schools only take the highest scores into account because technically the lower score has as much weight as the higher score. At best you might get a school averaging the two. In any case, the 24 MCAT is a tremendous bottleneck on an otherwise fantastic application.

The VCOM's value high GPA's over MCAT scores so you may have a good shot with one of them!

Id say you need to do a post bac program and earn an MA/MS in medical sciences at either Boston university/Georgetown/Loyola, get >3.5, then retake the mcat and get atleast a 29
Students with a 3.9 have no business in an SMP

Reactions: 1 users
You're getting a lot of bad advice here (@DK2014, @SmurfingReviews, @Diet Dr Pepper seem unfamiliar with DO admissions).

Do what Goro said and apply to the schools he listed. @user3 may have some additional advice.

You're in better shape than you think if you're willing to go school anywhere. Any school with an MCAT avg of 26 or lower, you should have a shot at (WCU, ACOM, all VCOM's, LMU, KYCOM, WVSOM, LUCOM). Also, definitely apply to BCOM, as they are a new school.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to hear some advice. I am ready for any kind of feedback, whether it is positive or negative. I am looking to apply to DO schools, and I wanted to list some of my stats and see what you guys thought. I completely understand that stats and a resume of my college career does not determine my chances, but I would love to hear with you guys think. Thanks everyone;

Biology Major, Neuroscience Minor
Asian American

3.9 GPA
Have taken MCAT twice:
first time was 23 (7 physical, 6 verbal, 10 biological)
2nd try:
24 MCAT
8 physical
9 verbal
7 biology (gah)
Atleast it is kind of balanced in each category. Does it matter at ALL that I got a 10 on the first time I took the MCAT? I know they see all scores, and i know they dont AVERAGE scores, but would any positive consideration be given to my 10 bio score the first time, even though I did not do well on the bio section the 2nd time? (but did improve overall 1 pt)

-Taking a gap year and pursuing a job in a hospital (scribe or clinical research or some kind of pediatrics area entry level position, applied for 7 jobs last monday)
-Research experience as undergraduate lab assistant for 2 years in Stem cell lab
- 250+ hours volunteering at hospital in pediatrics
- 40+ hours of shadowing with MD in OR
- a LOT of leadership experience... (below)
--> ranging from 3 years of orientation leadership-type position, 2 years of a summer orientation program for incoming first-year students
- Ambassador for my college 2 years
- Student Board for 3 years, chair positions held
- Undergrad Teaching Assistant for 5 different biology courses
- Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 Tutor for 3 years
- Medical Reserve Corps
- Part of a Pre-medical scholars program, work directly with pre-med advisor
- Deans List (3.8 gpa or higher) for all semesters but one
- Speaking of that one semester, my parents went through a very bad divorce. NOT AN EXCUSE, will not accept it as an excuse, but i CAN say I was not as concentrated as I could have been. Got a C- in Organic Chem 1. Which was passing. But I was not happy with myself and i KNEW i could do better. So I retook it, did extremely well (106% / 100% on a test :) and got an A. Then got offered the position to tutor organic chemistry for the classes after that. So I definitely showed improvement and dedication to putting my best foot forward, but yes. I did get one C-, but got an A after retaking it.
- Letters: 2 (hopefully) strong letters from science professors, 1 from my boss from Summer orientation program I talked about earlier, 1 from my pre-med advisor (probably), 1 from MD(no DO letter) I shadowed above. I am confident that the relationships I have built are very strong with the people I asked, and they will talk about how I am a holistic student with leadership, built myself more than just a strong GPA. Hopefully will help my poor MCAT score.
- Future DO shadowing opportunities set up already (one in October, one in November)

That's all I can think of now. PLEASE let me know if I am missing any info you would like to know, first couple posts here on studentdoc. (been creepin for years now). I know i screwed up my MCAT and it is low, but I can't let myself be mad and pessimistic, it will show in an interview and that is not who I am. Standardized testing just was NOT my strength, and I knew this even with the ACT in high school. But I feel I have built myself as a leader, student and person in my 4 years in college and I believe I can portray that to college DO admissions. I am proud of who I have grown into these 4 years and that is why I am still pursuing my dream of medicine, even with this MCAT score.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think for what my chances are. Also...

Please help me out and give me some recommended DO schools to apply to as well, I know with my lower MCAT that I will not be able to apply to those high end DO schools.
Apply broadly and you will get more interviews than you'll know what to do with. Just Don't apply to the Touro's or Midwestern's. Apply wherever else you prefer, but broadly (15+ schools).

You're getting a lot of bad advice here (@DK2014, @SmurfingReviews, @Diet Dr Pepper seem unfamiliar with DO admissions).

Do what Goro said and apply to the schools he listed. @user3 may have some additional advice.

You're in better shape than you think if you're willing to go school anywhere. Any school with an MCAT avg of 26 or lower, you should have a shot at (WCU, ACOM, all VCOM's, LMU, KYCOM, WVSOM, LUCOM). Also, definitely apply to BCOM, as they are a new school.

Yes, the OP has a shot, but the 7 in bio and the 24 overall mcat doesn't work to his favor. If his mcat were a 26, I'd be feeling more confident about his chances.

Not sure what school you got a 3.9 at if your mcat is like that, not to be rude, but that's what the admissions people are going to be wondering. Especially being a biology major with a biological score of 7. That mcat really questions the significance of that 3.9. Having gone through this myself, I'm speaking from experience, it's all the mcat score more than anything else. Other advice I can give you, study everyday for the mcat for a solid 6 months, hand write out everything, all the wrong answers and why they are wrong etc, then give it one more shot. I suggested the special masters program because when medical school starts you'll have a tremendous advantage on everyone else and it will really help with boards. Who wants to just squeak into medical school and be mediocre and end up in family medicine. Trust me, you don't want that.

Reactions: 1 users
@edgerock24 Just fyi even goro said auto reject with 7 on bio. I did say to retake mcat for better chances regardless of where applicant applies DO or MD.

Who wants to just squeak into medical school and be mediocre and end up in family medicine. Trust me, you don't want that.
How rude. Don't put down FM like that. What's wrong with family medicine? Don't you, as a resident, recognize that FM is so key to any health care system? Lay off the ROAD elitism and don't threaten borderline students with such bull****.

OP – You are indeed borderline and will likely struggle in med school as you stand. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

Reactions: 2 users
How rude. Don't put down FM like that. What's wrong with family medicine? Don't you, as a resident, recognize that FM is so key to any health care system? Lay off the ROAD elitism and don't threaten borderline students with such bull****.

OP – You are indeed borderline and will likely struggle in med school as you stand. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.

Yes, I admit FP is very important to healthcare. Just saying it how it is, most people (all that I know) don't go into family medicine unless it's one of only afew choices; those being physical medicine and rehabilitation or internal medicine. I think we all grew up wanting to be family physicians ourselves, but financially, professionally, and personally- hard to argue that it's worth it if you have better options. I'm just suggesting it's better to put oneself in the drivers seat when the time comes, instead of being defacto forced into family medicine and then living a daily lie afterwards trying to convince yourself it's not that bad. As you can see, the rest of the medical profession feels above it, no respect, horrible hours, non compliant patients, horrible income, no significant research opportunities; pros- can basically get a job anywhere, even in top markets; ie- the so cal coast. If you're a female, maybe it's more reasonable if you want a mommy track lifestyle, then I can see that making more sense.

I would HIGHLY suggest re-taking the MCAT and trying to raise that score. The rest of your app looks pretty solid even for MD schools but the 24 MCAT is a huge red flag (as are any scores below 8) especially in context of your GPA. Also, I don't think most schools only take the highest scores into account because technically the lower score has as much weight as the higher score. At best you might get a school averaging the two. In any case, the 24 MCAT is a tremendous bottleneck on an otherwise fantastic application.

Yes, the OP has a shot, but the 7 in bio and the 24 overall mcat doesn't work to his favor. If his mcat were a 26, I'd be feeling more confident about his chances.

Not sure what school you got a 3.9 at if your mcat is like that, not to be rude, but that's what the admissions people are going to be wondering. Especially being a biology major with a biological score of 7. That mcat really questions the significance of that 3.9. Having gone through this myself, I'm speaking from experience, it's all the mcat score more than anything else. Other advice I can give you, study everyday for the mcat for a solid 6 months, hand write out everything, all the wrong answers and why they are wrong etc, then give it one more shot. I suggested the special masters program because when medical school starts you'll have a tremendous advantage on everyone else and it will really help with boards. Who wants to just squeak into medical school and be mediocre and end up in family medicine. Trust me, you don't want that.

@edgerock24 Just fyi even goro said auto reject with 7 on bio. I did say to retake mcat for better chances regardless of where applicant applies DO or MD.

read this:

My friend had recently just been accepted to two DO schools:
- 3.2 cGPA/sGPA
- 24 on MCAT
- Only a couple weeks of volunteering in a hospital (started in April before applying)
- No DO letters, only 2 from professors.
- No rewards or honors.

She didn't even realize she could still be a doctor because she was under the impression that only the top students in undergrad can be doctors. She discovered DO schools about 6 months ago so she is pretty psyched.

Just an example that you shouldn't be discouraged by anything lacking if you apply broadly enough and have a genuine interest in being a physician.

read this:

But to reiterate.

The real game is not getting into medical school contrary to popular belief.

The real game is getting >240 on step one.

Once you get into medical school, that's when it really starts.

That's like being psyched about winning a lottery entrance spot in an ironman triathlon when you can hardly do a 10K, don't own a bike, and can't swim.

Last edited:
But to reiterate.

The real game is not getting into medical school contrary to popular belief.

The real game is getting >240 on step one.

Once you get into medical school, that's when it really starts.

That's like being psyched about winning a lottery entrance spot in an ironman triathlon when you can hardly do a 10K, don't own a bike, and can't swim.

That's only the game if you want to get a competitive residency.

Some people just want to be physicians, which is totally doable nowadays.

That's only the game if you want to get a competitive residency.

Some people just want to be physicians, which is totally doable nowadays.

I think at that point you need to look yourself in the mirror and figure out why you're going to medical school. If you just want to be a physician to impress your friends or family, prob not the best idea. I know maybe 1 person that went into family practice and was legitimately enthusiastic about it and will probably end up being a big deal in the field. Everyone else was basically a slacker that just threw in the towel when they got into medical school and were content with just "being a physician" for whatever reason. Another reason to fear going into primary care, the internships are generally pretty brutal as well. I know a ton of people that graduated from family practice residency and they work in random urgent care clinics side by side with PAs and NPs. It's just a waste of loan money. Do something else with your life if you're just going to go through the motions and be mediocre. Goto law school and do that, go get an MBA and create a business that helps people, revolves around your own schedule, and pays better. Tons of other options.