3.9 gpa, 30 MCAT (applying next year) retake? or work on EC's and clinical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghdgkgkgk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got my MCAT score back and I wanted to know if I should retake it or not to raise my chances of getting into medical schools. Also, feel free to make any comments on anything else that I should do to raise my chances.

My cGPA is 3.9 (I haven't calculated my sGPA since I won't be applying until next year) and 12/9/9 on my MCAT (which I was pretty disappointed about since I was scoring around 33 on average on the practice tests).
I have about 50 hours of shadowing, and I also volunteered at a local medical clinic (~30 hours). I am also planning on volunteering at a local hospital starting this summer so hopefully I'll get around 100 more hours of clinical experience from that.
I also worked as a teaching assistant for organic chemistry last year and I have been selected to TA again next year. I will also be TAing for a general biology course in the fall.
As for my ECs, I was a part of an ethnic basketball club at our university since my freshman year. I also conducted a high school orchestra. We performed at local retirement centers, and held a concert for Korean War veterans at a Korean church in our area to commemorate the sacrifices the US made for the Korean people. (And yes, I am South Korean)
As for my research experiences, I've been a lab member in a zebrafish lab at Institute of Neuroscience @ University of Oregon. I haven't done any of my own research though. I've been just helping out my PI with his research.

I know it's a bit early to make a list of schools since I will be applying next year, but I'd appreciate if anyone could also make suggestions of schools that I should apply to.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.