3.9 GPA 33 MCAT- Lacking some clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingTheoden

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what people thought about my chances. My application is fairly strong except for not having a huge amount of clinical exposure.

-3.89 cGPA 3.92 sGPA
-33 MCAT (PS=10 VR=12 BS=11)
-2+ years of research (around 1500 hours) including a grant for research funding and a presentation at a major conference.
-Volunteered ~200 hours at a local club for underprivileged kids
-Served leadership role for this club...organized groups of volunteers to go to the club weekly
-Promoted to a paid position as the director of the entire volunteer organization (100+ volunteers, including a site devoted to hospital volunteers)
-Shadowed 5 different doctors in different specialties over a month long period(~40 hours total)

Basically, I have a strong academic background, a strong volunteer and research background, decent shadowing but no clinical volunteer work. I will be starting a clinical volunteer position in August, but this might be a little late for this cycle.

I have two questions. 1) What are my chances of acceptance? (I plan on applying to Iowa (in-state), Minnesota, Creighton, Northwestern and I am open to other suggestions, preferably in the Midwest.)

and

2) How can I play up my future clinical volunteer work on my application to improve my chances without sounding desperate?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious what people thought about my chances. My application is fairly strong except for not having a huge amount of clinical exposure.

-3.89 cGPA 3.92 sGPA
-33 MCAT (PS=10 VR=12 BS=11)
-2+ years of research (around 1500 hours) including a grant for research funding and a presentation at a major conference.
-Volunteered ~200 hours at a local club for underprivileged kids
-Served leadership role for this club...organized groups of volunteers to go to the club weekly
-Promoted to a paid position as the director of the entire volunteer organization (100+ volunteers, including a site devoted to hospital volunteers)
-Shadowed 5 different doctors in different specialties over a month long period(~40 hours total)

Basically, I have a strong academic background, a strong volunteer and research background, decent shadowing but no clinical volunteer work. I will be starting a clinical volunteer position in August, but this might be a little late for this cycle.

I have two questions. 1) What are my chances of acceptance? (I plan on applying to Iowa (in-state), Minnesota, Creighton, Northwestern and I am open to other suggestions, preferably in the Midwest.)

and

2) How can I play up my future clinical volunteer work on my application to improve my chances without sounding desperate?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated! :confused:
1) How are you planning to convince adcomms who read your PS that you want to work with sick people for the next 30-40 years when you won't have experience interacting with them until after you submit your application?

2) I don't think that's possible. JMO.

Concur strongly with my colleague. Would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit/dress without trying it on?

You need to show us you know what you're getting into. My school has rejected people with stats like yours for precisely the same lack of patient contact, and I've seen plenty of posts here from folks with similar deficits getting rejected.

1) How are you planning to convince adcomms who read your PS that you want to work with sick people for the next 30-40 years when you won't have experience interacting with them until after you submit your application?

2) I don't think that's possible. JMO.

Well I do have fairly good shadowing experience with different specialties so I talked this up in my personal statement. Hopefully I will be able to score some interviews and by that point I will have more hospital volunteer experience to lean on! Thanks for the input though.