3.9+ GPA, 35 on my MCAT with low VR; need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDPhDGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I received a MCAT score of 35 with a 9 on the VR. My averages for the AAMC practice tests were ~37.5, with me normally getting 2 or 3 pts higher on VR.

I have a 3.9+ GPA, 2+ years of research, leadership positions, and strong research recommendations. I am planning to apply this cycle.

I was hoping for some realistic advice: To be competitive for programs at UCSF, Stanford, Penn, and other top 10s, would it be better for me to spend my time restudying and retaking (given that my previous average was 37.5), or would it be better for me to focus that time on research/essays/grades?

How effective would a new score of 37+ would be, given that it would be a retake score?

Would a 9 on VR screen me out of top 10s or 20s?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats easily trump mine. I got a 8 in VR--that too, the second time. If I was fortunate enough to get a couple top 20 interviews, I think you'll be okay with your 9 in VR. I wouldn't retake the MCAT, but rather focus my time on crafting an excellent AMCAS app, as well as grades/research/etc.

Good luck

The general rule around here is that there is a diminishing return for MCAT scores 35+. It would also be a huge bummer if you ended up scoring lower. I would focus on getting everything else in order for a very early application. Congrats on your score!

Members don't see this ad :)
Advice? Quit worrying and prepare for the interviews. Honestly... a 3.9 with a 35... who could complain?

I'm guessing from your username, are you planning to apply to an MD/PhD program? That might change things...

I'm guessing from your username, are you planning to apply to an MD/PhD program? That might change things...

Yes, I plan to apply to MD/PhD programs, but I was wondering where I stand for MD programs as well.

What a pathetic attempt at trolling.

Edit: my bad, maybe not? Hard to tell...

Just because a person has a 3.9/35, doesn't automatically mean he/she is trolling. Given that OP's only had 3 posts on SDN, he/she may not be as informed as others here on SDN about the app process. Personally, if I had been new to the application process and had a 3.9/35, but then had a "low" 9 in VR, I might have been concerned too.

Cut the OP some slack..

Just because a person has a 3.9/35, doesn't automatically mean he/she is trolling. Given that OP's only had 3 posts on SDN, he/she may not be as informed as others here on SDN about the app process. Personally, if I had been new to the application process and had a 3.9/35, but then had a "low" 9 in VR, I might have been concerned too.

Cut the OP some slack..

+ humble bro

Ehh.. I suppose we will see.

If not troll.... I would not retake because with a score that high you might go down ...

A 9 in VR is legitimately a concern for me, since it's significantly below the median for accepted students (why do you guys imply that 9 isn't low??). I understand that a 35 is a good score but, for top 10 schools, where averages are around 36/37, it's not that great. This is especially true since I'm planning to apply for MD/PhD programs.

Which is why I was wondering: would a 9 screen me out of top-10 schools, and would it be worthwhile to retake since I was averaging 37.5?

A 9 in VR is legitimately a concern for me, since it's significantly below the median for accepted students. I understand that a 35 is a good score but, for top 10 schools, where averages are around 36/37, it's not that great. This is especially true since I'm planning to apply for MD/PhD programs.

Which is why I was wondering: would a 9 screen me out of top-10 schools, and would it be worthwhile to retake since I was averaging 37.5?

I know that SDN usually tells people not to retake but honestly if you are consistently averaging 37+ on fl practice exams then I would go for the retake.

But I am not sure if a 9 would screen you out.

Maybe others more experienced with applying to the top 10s can offer some advice, but I still doubt you'd get screened out for your 9 VR. I'm looking at the msar right now, and while the median VR score is 11 for Harvard/UCSF/etc, a 9 still falls in their 10th-90th percentile range. So I think you'll be okay..If you really feel like you'd be much better off retaking, then go for it. But realize that many others in your seat also aiming for top 10s would probably invest their time in research/ECs/grades/amcas app than retake.

In the end, you make the call..

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the OP is trolling. I've heard from a couple of sources that schools also care a lot about how the MCAT score is broken down. A lot of schools prefer a more even breakdown than one that is unbalanced. Most schools would prefer 10's across the board to an unbalanced breakdown, but that won't break your application if you have great ECs, recommendations, and personal statement. I won't waste my time re-taking unless you are absolutely certain that you can improve on the 9 in the verbal section and maintain your scores in the other sections.

I think you should retake after studying some more. For top programs even 1 point greater MCAT may make a difference..

Edit: my bad, maybe not? Hard to tell...

It's pretty clear that the OP is not trolling... a 9 on VR is, as mentioned, below the average for most of the top 10 schools.

There are a handful of top tier schools that do 'screen' MCAT sections for non-URMs below a 10.

I also know however that there is a mid-tier school that screens applicants if they EVER had a sub-section below an 8, meaning retakes would not matter in these cases.

Because the application process is closed to the public it would be very difficult to know each individual's school's screening/admissions process.

Care to provide any evidence to support this?

I find that it's usually difficult to supply evidence for things I'm just making up. Maybe he'll pleasantly surprise us.

I wouldn't retake... I also scored a 35 with a 9 in verbal. I applied to 6 top 10 programs and interviewed at Stanford, UCSF, and Michigan. I was accepted to UCSF and Michigan.

I would say that once you have a LizzyM of ~69-71 then you've deemed yourself worthy of an acceptance to any top 10 program. What will ultimately determine your fate are your ECs and letters of recommendation.

I have a very similar profile with a lower GPA. I'd say your MCAT is 'good enough' to have a great shot for what you want to accomplish.

I wouldn't retake... I also scored a 35 with a 9 in verbal. I applied to 6 top 10 programs and interviewed at Stanford, UCSF, and Michigan. I was accepted to UCSF and Michigan.

I would say that once you have a LizzyM of ~69-71 then you've deemed yourself worthy of an acceptance to any top 10 program. What will ultimately determine your fate are your ECs and letters of recommendation.

I have a very similar profile with a lower GPA. I'd say your MCAT is 'good enough' to have a great shot for what you want to accomplish.

Sorry, but a 3.9/31 does not deem you "worthy" of getting into top 10s. I'm not saying someone like that can't get in, but the majority of people with those stats will probably be rejected pre-interview, regardless of ECs.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using SDN Mobile

I had the same worry(except for PS section) and things worked out. I wouldn't retake if i were you. Schools seem to emhasize the total score rather than the sub-scores

Care to provide any evidence to support this?

I find that it's usually difficult to supply evidence for things I'm just making up. Maybe he'll pleasantly surprise us.

What evidence do you need? All I said is that 1 point greater on the MCAT may make a difference.. Isn't it clearly obvious that 1 point higher on the MCAT may make a difference..? At the very least, 1 point higher on the MCAT is by itself a difference.

Moving to WAMC.

What evidence do you need? All I said is that 1 point greater on the MCAT may make a difference.. Isn't it clearly obvious that 1 point higher on the MCAT may make a difference..? At the very least, 1 point higher on the MCAT is by itself a difference.

That's fair, but remember retaking the MCAT may make a difference as well. You have to weigh the two factors against each other, and your statement seemed to suggest that a 1 point increase in MCAT would be sufficiently large enough to make a positive difference over the effects of retaking the MCAT.

The AAMC published stats on how retakes wind up for people given their initial score. Once you pass 30 you're more likely to score worse on a retake than better. Once you go past 35 you're almost guaranteed to get a lower score. It's not worth it, especially not for VR which is extremely difficult to raise.

You're only 2 pts below the avg UCSF student, and your other numbers are stellar, so I suggest applying as is. There are schools that prefer the 10/10/10 minimum, but I think you're fine for the top 20. Not everyone has to go to Stanford.

The risk of re-taking is that you'll do worse, not better.

Today I received a MCAT score of 35 with a 9 on the VR. My averages for the AAMC practice tests were ~37.5, with me normally getting 2 or 3 pts higher on VR.

I have a 3.9+ GPA, 2+ years of research, leadership positions, and strong research recommendations. I am planning to apply this cycle.

I was hoping for some realistic advice: To be competitive for programs at UCSF, Stanford, Penn, and other top 10s, would it be better for me to spend my time restudying and retaking (given that my previous average was 37.5), or would it be better for me to focus that time on research/essays/grades?

How effective would a new score of 37+ would be, given that it would be a retake score?

Would a 9 on VR screen me out of top 10s or 20s?

Thanks!