MD 3.9 GPA, 519 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RIhusky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am entering my senior year at a well-ranked public university in New England. I am an OOS student at this school, and am a Rhode Island native (no state medical school, fun stuff). I am a white male, both of my parents are college-educated engineers, and there are no medical doctors in my family tree.

cGPA: 3.904, sGPA: ~3.91, 519 on the new MCAT (Physical Sciences 128, CARS 132, BIO 130, PSY/SOC 129)

My GPA shows a very solid upward trend; lowest semester GPA was my first semester, I had all A's and one A- sophomore year, and had a 4.0 for both semesters of junior year. I take between 17 and 20 credits each semester (except the first).

Extracurriculars
-President & founder of a volunteer high-school outreach student organization. Working with two schools currently.
-Honors program
-I do a lot of free tutoring, especially in chemistry. I'm not employed by the school, but I usually find myself tutoring one or more people several times a week. I'm not sure if this is something I could list...

Leadership
-President & Founder of a volunteer high-school outreach organization, we have about 20 members and are quickly growing. We work with two public high school in less fortunate areas, and expect to receive interest from more schools soon.
-AFS gap year - Lived in Italy for 10 months after graduating high school early, attended an Italian public school. Went to many schools across Italy to serve as an AFS ambassador as a part of the exchange program. Became fluent in Italian.

Employment
-Worked as a summer camp counselor throughout high school
-During the summer between freshman and sophomore year of college, I worked for a manufacturing firm doing general labor, both in the office and in the warehouse
-Interned last summer doing NMR research in the materials science department of a well known pharmaceutical firm. Had a poster presentation come out of it, publication is being worked on. - --Interned this summer in analytical research & development at the same company, did a poster presentation on the research.

Volunteering
-Aforementioned volunteer high school outreach organization
->100 hours volunteering at a community farm in my hometown; worked to design and install their irrigation/fertilization system
-Did a lot of volunteer work with my study abroad program as a part of my gap year
- ~80 hours ER volunteering

Shadowing/Clinical
I currently have about 25 hours in pediatric medicine (ongoing), roughly 60 or so hours shadowing multiple family medicine residents & attending physicians as they do rounds in a teaching hospital, and have more hours scheduled with them.

Research
(I have a ridiculous number of research hours)
-I have been in an inorganic chemistry research lab at my university for the past three semesters (and will be continuing the research). I have been working with a graduate student on the same project over this time, and it will result in a research paper soon. I'll be doing my honors thesis in this lab.
-As a part of my internship, I did research in the use of a subset of NMR technology to assess certain properties of the active pharmaceutical ingredient in drug products. The compound worked with is an an oncology drug. This research has produced a poster (first author) and will also produce a paper that will list me as an author. I was employed full time to pursue this endeavor last summer. I'm continuing a similar project this summer at the same place.
-Just had a paper that I'm an author submitted to a catalysis journal, but this was after all my apps were submitted so I feel like I should update schools with this information?

Awards
-Dean's List - every semester
-Multiple extra academic honors

Hobbies
Skiing, hiking, camping, building a huge variety of things (model rockets, chicken coop, electric guitar, etc...)

Letters of Recommendation
I have several very strong letters of recommendation, I'm definitely not concerned about this facet of my application.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

You are set.

Pick your choice of top 20 big name schools, perhaps a dozen or so. Go for several medium tier type schools as well: some examples being Hofstra, Rochester, Case Western, Emory, USC, Einstein, Ohio State, UVA etc. Pick your state school(s). Pick a couple lower tiers where your MCAT is around their 90th percentile or lower: think Miami, Saint Louis, Wake Forest, Tulane, Tufts. All in all that should make about 20 schools and a good list .

Reactions: 1 users
Double your clinical volunteering hours and you can pretty much pick any school you want. I strongly urge you to get off campus and out of your comfort zone for some more non-clinical volunteering as well.

Anything that happened in high school stays in high school.

I am entering my senior year at a well-ranked public university in New England. I am an OOS student at this school, and am a Rhode Island native (no state medical school, fun stuff). I am a white male, both of my parents are college-educated engineers, and there are no medical doctors in my family tree.

cGPA: 3.904, sGPA: ~3.91, 519 on the new MCAT (Physical Sciences 128, CARS 132, BIO 130, PSY/SOC 129)

My GPA shows a very solid upward trend; lowest semester GPA was my first semester, I had all A's and one A- sophomore year, and had a 4.0 for both semesters of junior year. I take between 17 and 20 credits each semester (except the first).

Extracurriculars
-President & founder of a volunteer high-school outreach student organization. Working with two schools currently.
-Honors program
-I do a lot of free tutoring, especially in chemistry. I'm not employed by the school, but I usually find myself tutoring one or more people several times a week. I'm not sure if this is something I could list...

Leadership
-President & Founder of a volunteer high-school outreach organization, we have about 20 members and are quickly growing. We work with two public high school in less fortunate areas, and expect to receive interest from more schools soon.
-AFS gap year - Lived in Italy for 10 months after graduating high school early, attended an Italian public school. Went to many schools across Italy to serve as an AFS ambassador as a part of the exchange program. Became fluent in Italian.

Employment
-Worked as a summer camp counselor throughout high school
-During the summer between freshman and sophomore year of college, I worked for a manufacturing firm doing general labor, both in the office and in the warehouse
-Interned last summer doing NMR research in the materials science department of a well known pharmaceutical firm. Had a poster presentation come out of it, publication is being worked on. - --Interned this summer in analytical research & development at the same company, did a poster presentation on the research.

Volunteering
-Aforementioned volunteer high school outreach organization
->100 hours volunteering at a community farm in my hometown; worked to design and install their irrigation/fertilization system
-Did a lot of volunteer work with my study abroad program as a part of my gap year
- ~80 hours ER volunteering

Shadowing/Clinical
I currently have about 25 hours in pediatric medicine (ongoing), roughly 60 or so hours shadowing multiple family medicine residents & attending physicians as they do rounds in a teaching hospital, and have more hours scheduled with them.

Research
(I have a ridiculous number of research hours)
-I have been in an inorganic chemistry research lab at my university for the past three semesters (and will be continuing the research). I have been working with a graduate student on the same project over this time, and it will result in a research paper soon. I'll be doing my honors thesis in this lab.
-As a part of my internship, I did research in the use of a subset of NMR technology to assess certain properties of the active pharmaceutical ingredient in drug products. The compound worked with is an an oncology drug. This research has produced a poster (first author) and will also produce a paper that will list me as an author. I was employed full time to pursue this endeavor last summer. I'm continuing a similar project this summer at the same place.
-Just had a paper that I'm an author submitted to a catalysis journal, but this was after all my apps were submitted so I feel like I should update schools with this information?

Awards
-Dean's List - every semester
-Multiple extra academic honors

Hobbies
Skiing, hiking, camping, building a huge variety of things (model rockets, chicken coop, electric guitar, etc...)

Letters of Recommendation
I have several very strong letters of recommendation, I'm definitely not concerned about this facet of my application.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you to both of you! I really appreciate it.