3.9 GPA and Science 26 MCAT 9VR 5VR 12 BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dre0810

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a traditional applicant. Major is Physiology & Neurobiology and two other science minors. Going to be a senior in college this coming Fall 2013.

Verified AMCAS

BCPM AO Total
2.74 3.10 2.87 Freshman
3.64 3.89 3.77 Sophomore
3.96 4.00 3.97 Junior

3.44 3.69 3.54 Total

Total GPA by semester:
1st: 2.54
2nd: 3.10
3rd: 3.56
4th: 3.95
5th: 3.95
6th: 4.00

I had severe trauma accident coming into freshman year which was compounded by the diagnosis of a medical condition which caused my poor GPA. (I talked about it in my PS). I improved each semester which is the main thing.

MCAT #1: 10 PS 6 VR 9 BS
MCAT #2 9 PS 5 VR 12 BS

Yes, I know I'm all over the place, I hate VERBAL.

Very strong EC's and activities.

Clinical:
-Eagle Scout
-EMT (Volunteer)
-Firefighter (Volunteer)
-Paramedic Aide

Shadowing Experience:
-Hand Surgeon ~ 80 hours. Office consultations and follow ups
-Vascular Surgeon ~ 180 hours. Observed over 20 operations in OR and did patient follow up and care.

Research:
-Psych Research at School ~ Entering 4th continuous semester
-Spinal Cord Injury Research Center - Currently working there right now for my third summer in a row. Patient interaction. Venipuncture. Drug Trials. Hoping to complete 3-4 publications within the next two months or so.

Hobbies:
-Skiing since I was three years old.
-Advanced Open Water Scuba Diver
-Amateur Carpenter from high school. Built tables and other things.

School Organization:
-I provide a safe and free ride home for student night time party-goers on the weekend. Also an executive board member, officer and supervisor for the club.

I have applied broadly and currently sending out secondaries to MD schools. I have a lot in my application except for my MCAT. I would appreciate any comments on my application portfolio and my chances.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be screened out by most schools due to your verbal score. Re-taking and not doing much better is also a pretty big red flag.

Also, you don't have a 3.9 GPA... you have a 3.54 with a very nice upward trend and a very good reason for your poor freshmen grades. That doesn't make it a 3.9 though.

I'd say don't get your hopes up for this cycle (you probably shouldn't have gone ahead with it). You HAVE to retake the MCAT and because you already took it twice.. you REALLY have to kill it (~32+) or it will just look like you had a lucky day.

Also a fellow advanced open water scuba diver btw! won't matter much but will be something to talk about during interviews, especially if the interviewer shares that passion!

Sorry but you basically have no chance at MD.

You will want to apply DO and that's no guarantee either, that MCAT score just really holds you back, especially with the low Verbal and two scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite your wonderful record, your poor MCAT VR score will auto-screen you out of every MD program, and probably a lot of DO schools as well (like mine). It's almost a perversion the MCAT works because you clearly have done well in your coursework, and the other two sections of the MCAT!

Suggest contacting some schools and see if the score will weed you out. DO programs will be more lenient on you.

MCAT #1: 10 PS 6 VR 9 BS
MCAT #2 9 PS 5 VR 12 BS

Yes, I know I'm all over the place, I hate VERBAL.

Very strong EC's and activities.

Clinical:
-Eagle Scout
-EMT (Volunteer)
-Firefighter (Volunteer)
-Paramedic Aide

Shadowing Experience:
-Hand Surgeon ~ 80 hours. Office consultations and follow ups
-Vascular Surgeon ~ 180 hours. Observed over 20 operations in OR and did patient follow up and care.

Research:
-Psych Research at School ~ Entering 4th continuous semester
-Spinal Cord Injury Research Center - Currently working there right now for my third summer in a row. Patient interaction. Venipuncture. Drug Trials. Hoping to complete 3-4 publications within the next two months or so.

Hobbies:
-Skiing since I was three years old.
-Advanced Open Water Scuba Diver
-Amateur Carpenter from high school. Built tables and other things.

School Organization:
-I provide a safe and free ride home for student night time party-goers on the weekend. Also an executive board member, officer and supervisor for the club.

I have applied broadly and currently sending out secondaries to MD schools. I have a lot in my application except for my MCAT. I would appreciate any comments on my application portfolio and my chances.

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Then someone explain this to me then. i'm not stopping what I'm doing but telling me I have absolutely no chance?

All I'm saying is to just look at this,
https://www.aamc.org/download/270906/data

I mean, i did apply to DO as well. Currently in verification process.
Im fortunate that I can afford all of my MD applications so I am going to drive ahead and continue.
I know I have a good story, grades, and EC's, blah, b;ah blah, and I know my MCAT is the absolute death of me. Nothing I can do now about it.
I do have two very close mentors at two different schools. Im just hoping someone on some committee finds me interesting.

@gyngyn - I will let you know

Last edited:
Schools screen out based on section score as well as overall score. Many places don't ever put human eyes on a subscore of below 7. Thus, people getting in with a 26 MCAT like yours have a more even spread.

Also, I think that some schools that you don't qualify for most likely (PR schools and HBCs) buff up the lower end of that scale.

Schools screen out based on section score as well as overall score. Many places don't ever put human eyes on a subscore of below 7. Thus, people getting in with a 26 MCAT like yours have a more even spread.

Also, I think that some schools that you don't qualify for most likely (PR schools and HBCs) buff up the lower end of that scale.

Add on URMs and those who speak English as a second language.

Call some schools you are targeting and ask.. but many do auto-screen based on sub-score.

ehhh w.e. Like I said, I'm still applying.

Thanks for the advice

Those people at the very low ends of the spectrum either:

have a very large donation check in hand

are related to the dean, faculty, alumni or a donor

(we call the above "specials" or "legacies"

have some outstanding story

Do let us know of how things turn out.

Then someone explain this to me then. i'm not stopping what I'm doing but telling me I have absolutely no chance?

All I'm saying is to just look at this,
https://www.aamc.org/download/270906/data

I mean, i did apply to DO as well. Currently in verification process.
Im fortunate that I can afford all of my MD applications so I am going to drive ahead and continue.
I know I have a good story, grades, and EC's, blah, b;ah blah, and I know my MCAT is the absolute death of me. Nothing I can do now about it.
I do have two very close mentors at two different schools. Im just hoping someone on some committee finds me interesting.

@gyngyn - I will let you know

why bother posting a thread asking for advice if you never intended to listen to what was posted in the first place? not to mention.. two ADCOM members posted in this thread with their thoughts that you quickly dismissed..

taking a year off isn't the end of the world and you can give yourself a VERY good shot at MD schools with a solid MCAT retake + another year of good grades. You have pretty much everything going for you but the MCAT.. so why it get in your way??

I posted because I just wanted some comments and thoughts from some.

I'm not being rude. And the only thing I dismissed was the fact that I should not apply. I'm still applying.

I know taking off is no big deal for some, but i really do not want to. If i end up DO...I end up DO. Like i said, I applied to DO schools as well.

Plus, taking a year off, studying for and taking the MCAT a third time is not promising. I have always been poor in Verbal and have spent a lot of time on it but have not been able to improve from 5 or 6, even on practice tests. It's my one big flaw. So even with alot of work I dont think I'll be able to raise it up to a 10.

I've have been able to read hospital charts, and other reports in hospital setting and diagnose correctly and I'm not even in medical school. I believe I will be a competent doctor and I obviously wish schools didn't take the verbal section as the most important into consideration.

I posted because I just wanted some comments and thoughts from some.

I'm not being rude. And the only thing I dismissed was the fact that I should not apply. I'm still applying.

I know taking off is no big deal for some, but i really do not want to. If i end up DO...I end up DO. Like i said, I applied to DO schools as well.

Plus, taking a year off, studying for and taking the MCAT a third time is not promising. I have always been poor in Verbal and have spent a lot of time on it but have not been able to improve from 5 or 6, even on practice tests. It's my one big flaw. So even with alot of work I dont think I'll be able to raise it up to a 10.

I've have been able to read hospital charts, and other reports in hospital setting and diagnose correctly and I'm not even in medical school. I believe I will be a competent doctor and I obviously wish schools didn't take the verbal section as the most important into consideration.

You don't have to improve to a 10.. a 7 will pass some MD screens and an 8 will pass most. A 5 or 6, as everyone has already indicated, will be auto-screened out.

Go for it if you really want to but be smart and don't waste money without doing some research on specific school policies first. No point sending back that secondary + $100 for a school that won't look at your application.