3.9 GPA, Strong research and clinicals. Looking for areas to improve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Illini51

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only a junior so obviously my GPA can change and I still need to take my MCAT but I am wondering if there are other areas that I can improve while preparing for my MCAT. Any suggestions on schools to start looking into would also be greatly appreciated. I know it is hard to project without the MCAT but any help would be greatly appreciated.

GPA-3.90 Bio major and all my pre recs are completed
Letters of Recommendation: A bio professor, orgo 1 professor, research PI, MD I worked for, volunteering supervisor from high school

Medicine related ECs

Research-1000 hours so far and will continue for the next two years. Was awarded an external summer fellowship to work in the lab this past summer. Preparing a paper for submission and will be first or second author
Volunteering- 50 hours at the local hospital, spring break medical volunteering trip to Costa Rica
Clinical Work-950 hours of working in a medical practice as a receptionist. Should be able to get a good letter of recommendation.
Shadowing-10 hours of shadowing an orthopedic surgeon and I am looking for more.

Non medicine related ECs

Volunteer tutoring-I volunteer 10 hours a semester with my fraternity and I also tutored at an after school program during high school and I have a very good letter of recommendation from my supervisor.

Fraternity- I am a member of a fraternity and serve as philanthropy chair. My spring philanthropy event had an 10% increase in funds raised from the previous year and also had a 80% increase in participation.

Tutoring Business-Started my own tutoring business in high school that I continued when home over summer. Tutored 14 students in math and science topics.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only a junior so obviously my GPA can change and I still need to take my MCAT but I am wondering if there are other areas that I can improve while preparing for my MCAT. Any suggestions on schools to start looking into would also be greatly appreciated. I know it is hard to project without the MCAT but any help would be greatly appreciated.

GPA-3.90 Bio major and all my pre recs are completed
Letters of Recommendation: A bio professor, orgo 1 professor, research PI, MD I worked for, volunteering supervisor from high school

Medicine related ECs

Research-1000 hours so far and will continue for the next two years. Was awarded an external summer fellowship to work in the lab this past summer. Preparing a paper for submission and will be first or second author
Volunteering- 50 hours at the local hospital, spring break medical volunteering trip to Costa Rica
Clinical Work-950 hours of working in a medical practice as a receptionist. Should be able to get a good letter of recommendation.
Shadowing-10 hours of shadowing an orthopedic surgeon and I am looking for more.

Non medicine related ECs

Volunteer tutoring-I volunteer 10 hours a semester with my fraternity and I also tutored at an after school program during high school and I have a very good letter of recommendation from my supervisor.

Fraternity- I am a member of a fraternity and serve as philanthropy chair. My spring philanthropy event had an 10% increase in funds raised from the previous year and also had a 80% increase in participation.

Tutoring Business-Started my own tutoring business in high school that I continued when home over summer. Tutored 14 students in math and science topics.
Try to include a primary care doc on your shadowing list. Also, consider some nonmedical community service to those in need for an off-campus organization whose aims you care about.

High school activities that don't continue into the college years won't be much regarded, BTW.

Reactions: 1 user
Is being a receptionist considered clinical work? I'm actually curious because I was under the impression that it wasn't.

Is being a receptionist considered clinical work?
A medical office receptionist generally interacts with patients as they arrive, helps them fill out paperwork, answers their calls, makes patient appointments, and otherwise has active patient interactions that qualify as "clinical experience" for med school application purposes.

Reactions: 1 user