3.9 GPA, waiting on MCAT score. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jj216

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm applying to medical school in June and I just wanted to get some feedback on my chances of getting in and which schools I should apply to. I'm a junior biology major and my GPA is probably going to be a 3.92 after this semester (down from a 3.98) and I just took the new MCAT in April so I'm waiting on my scores.

Research:
I have about 180 hours of group undergraduate research in the bioengineering department (a couple poster presentations, no paper yet), and I recently started doing individual mentored research (tissue engineering) which will continue this summer and through senior year. I also worked in an MD's research lab last summer, and this summer I'm doing a week-long regenerative medicine program at a well known regen med institute.

Volunteering:
I have about 90 hours of volunteering at a free health clinic (didn't have room in my schedule this semester) and I went on a two-week international medical trip last summer with my pre-med advisor.

This semester I also had a job, working 8-10 hours per week at my school's botanical garden, and I play the piano.

Letters of Rec:
The MD whose lab I worked in last summer
A bioengineering professor (my research mentor for the group research and the individual research)
An English professor whose class I really enjoyed
A biology professor who is also my boss

How many schools should I apply to? I'm very research oriented and am especially interested in tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. I'd like to go out of state. Here's the list I've compiled:

University of Pittsburgh
Wake Forest
Georgetown
Duke
Vanderbilt
Emory
All three South Carolina schools (in-state)

Pitt and Wake are my top choices because of their research opportunities in regen med.

Also I have a question about MD/PhD programs. I know plenty of MDs who do research, so what is the real benefit of getting a PhD as well?

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea which schools you should apply to. But I can tell you, with absolute confidence, that you should triple the number of schools you have listed there. Your GPA is high, but your volunteering and clinical experience is pretty weak.

P.S.
You sound like you would benefit from about 10 hours cruising the forums here. Everything you have asked is easily answered using the search bar (no snark intended.)

Average person applies to 14 schools iirc. Agree with zed, you can find answers to most of your questions looking through other posts. Your MCAT will be a big factor in your school list and number

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 501, which I think is like a 26 on the old test. That was without any studying other than taking a practice test (I had a whole study schedule and school and research got in the way). I'm actually studying this time and taking it again in August.

I got a 501, which I think is like a 26 on the old test. That was without any studying other than taking a practice test (I had a whole study schedule and school and research got in the way). I'm actually studying this time and taking it again in August.
Don't bother applying this cycle. You will be extremely late for primary if you wait for that second MCAT, and you could use the extra year to do some more volunteering. Provided you do better on the MCAT, you will have a very strong application.

I brought my MCAT up to a 505, applied, and I've had four great interviews. One acceptance so far and I'm hoping to hear from the others soon.

I brought my MCAT up to a 505, applied, and I've had four great interviews. One acceptance so far and I'm hoping to hear from the others soon.

mind sharing where you had success with your score?

Accepted at one of my state schools, waitlisted at another in-state school and a bordering state school (but I removed myself from these waitlists) and rejected from a state school. I'm very happy with where I ended up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app