DO 3.918 cGPA/3.89 sGPA, 27 MCAT shots at DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darklordzzz

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
First off,
Biological Sciences and Chemistry double major, currently a junior.

MCAT 27 [11,6,10]
cGPA: 3.918
sGPA: 3.89

Took all genetics, biochem, molecular chemistry, human anatomy, human physiology, microbiology, gchem + lab, ochem + lab, physics + lab, inorganic chem, and physical chemistry
The reason my sGPA is close to cGPA is I took GEs at community college.

Only have 4 more science classes left for senior year
Attend University of California, Irvine
California Resident
about 1 year, which adds up to 200 hours of volunteering/shadowing in a clinic of an MD with LOR from this MD [ 4 hours a week, for 1 year, still ongoing]
2 years of biology basic research in UCI's lab, so close to + 900 hours [12 hours a week, did not take summer off, still ongoing]
2 years of work-study paid job in a biomedical engineering lab at UCI, close to +600 hours [ 8 hours a week, did not take summer off, still ongoing]

English is not my native language, in the US for 7 years

I will have LOR from the MD, my boss at the work-study job, my mentor at the research lab, and from a chemistry professor and a statistics professor.

In all honesty, please do not suggest me to retake the mcat because I took 14 FL exams (yes, including the AAMC CBT), and what I got on the real test is exactly the average of all the scores.

What I want to know is the DOs school I have a fair shot at? I do not mind about the locations at all as long as I get in somewhere.

Also, since I do not have LOR from a DO doctor, should I still apply to those that require it?

As for in-state preference DO schools, is it still worth a shot to apply?

Many thanks and all response are greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll do fine for DO schools.I know one DO school that uses a general rule of 8 as a cutoff for section scores on the MCAT, so apply broadly and you'll do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will get a lot of love from DO schools. I wouldn't worry too much about the 6 because you are ESL. Congrats on the awesome GPA btw, nicely done.

You'll do fine for DO schools.I know one DO school that uses a general rule of 8 as a cutoff for section scores on the MCAT, so apply broadly and you'll do fine.

do you happen to know the name of this school specifically? cuz I read there are 3 schools that do this and they use "prefer" vs "require".
only one school with this cut off sounds good.

Yea.....I study science very well, read, write well...........it's just the verbal of mcat is another different level......there are like 5 levels of reading to do well on mcat verbal and i am only level 2-3.....which is enough to do well in sciences but obviously not verbal.