3.91cGPA 30MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeakerBreaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sGPA: 3.91
cGPA: 3.89
MCAT (first try): 26 (PS/VR/BS: 10/7/9)
MCAT (second try): 30 (PS/VR/BS: 12/8/10)

I'm really bummed about my MCAT score because I was scoring an average of 35 in the AAMC/Kaplan practice tests when I was preparing for my second try. I have 3 semesters of research and 3 different volunteering opportunities in the hospital as well (each lasting one semester long; ~60hrs each). My research wasn't published but I have presented it in my school's symposium. I've also served as a construction volunteer in Jamaica in Summer'11, where I helped build a home for this local family who were struck hard by poverty. I also spent a week in Australia learning their culture and how is the medical field like there. As far as sports go, I play volleyball competitively.

I am a resident of Illinois (green card status). I spent the first 18years of my life growing up in Malaysia and moved here permanently when I started college.

Here is the list of schools I've applied to:
UCLA - Geffen
UCLA - Drew
Emory
Loyola
Northwestern
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Stanford
Miami - Miller
Tufts
UC SanFran
UC Irvine
UIC
Michigan
Wisconsin

My top choices from that list:
Northwestern
Irvine
Rush
Loyola
Emory

Any clue what my chances are in getting into any of these schools (especially the ones I singled out)?

I've unfortunately already been rejected by the following:

REJECT:
Pritzker (secondaries)
USC - Keck (secondaries)
Washington (primary)
UC - Riverside (primary)

Your help is much appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Impressive GPA and solid MCAT, I think you have a very good chance of at least an interview Rush and Loyola, but Northwestern and Emory might be a bit of reach. UCI states that it doesn't prefer in-state, but MSAR says otherwise.. any particular reason you're interested in going there?

The list is somewhat too top heavy. Rush, RFU, Loyola and maybe Michigan might interview you, but I would not expect too high on other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats fall within UIllinois' parameters as well, though they are far friendlier to earlier than late applicants, if that applies to you. From my observation, Loyola seems to like years of dedicated service to the (local) poor, as they have a humanistic emphasis.

I count 3 schools on your active list where you have a fair chance at an interview (and that's only if Wisconsin is MCW). That's often not enough with your stats and activities. Get the MSAR and identify at least a few more and apply stat. Don't forget to pre-write the secondary essays while you're waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was not the most clever school list - way too top heavy IMO.
UIC and Rush will likely look at you though since you're a resident and your stats are about what they take.

The list is somewhat too top heavy. Rush, RFU, Loyola and maybe Michigan might interview you, but I would not expect too high on other schools.
i realized that too. any suggestions on schools that i can apply to?

Getting late in the game for new applications, but suggest ALL low tier and MD MD programs, and all DO programs.

Assuming you meant to say all low tier and new MD programs?

Have you checked UM's numbers recently? The average stats for OOS students offered interviews so far this cycle are 3.85/38.

Getting late in the game for new applications, but suggest ALL low tier and MD MD programs, and all DO programs.

ons5b.jpg