3.924 cGPA 3.97 sGPA 32 MCAT Research Heavy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wwulf2k13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Seriously doubt it. The top tiers have their pick of people with 36's and publications. Aim lower.

I have an idea which schools I am competitive for based on my numerical stats and how they compare to the MSAR, but I was wondering if my research experience makes me competitive for the higher tier research-heavy schools.

Seriously doubt it. The top tiers have their pick of people with 36's and publications. Aim lower.

I have an idea which schools I am competitive for based on my numerical stats and how they compare to the MSAR, but I was wondering if my research experience makes me competitive for the higher tier research-heavy schools.

Awesome thank you for your response.
I am retaking the MCAT in the next couple weeks, so hopefully I can increase my score.

With my current score, are Mayo or Albert Einstein out of the question?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're at about Einstein's average for MCAT, maybe a point or two lower. Honestly your GPA is fantastic, and your 32 is balanced. Depending on how well your essays/LORs/interview scores are, you could have a shot at the top schools. It's not like they'll auto-reject you with a balanced 32. A lot will depend on how you portray yourself.

I also doubt many undergraduates can boast a nature publication. But listen to Goro, apply to some lower tier schools, but still apply to the top ones. You honestly never know until you try right?

Also, Mayo is a lot more holistic. If you look through the Mayo school-specific threads, there are people with high MCAT/GPAs that don't even get an LoR request. However, people on the thread have also stated that if you want a research-heavy school, Mayo may not be the best place to look.

You've worked hard OP, and your numbers are solid. Apply beyond the top tiers, and you will for sure have good luck this cycle! Good luck!

Thanks for your encouraging words.
Hopefully this retake will get me into Ivy League range!
I think if I can get a 34-35, my chances would be much better although I am more than happy just to have the opportunity to go somewhere.

IMO, retaking a 32 is very risky. For it to have to make a difference, you need to improve at least 4 points, or so I heard. That means, aiming for a 34-35 won't cut it. Also, even if you get a higher score the second time around, the first score doesn't disappear. Some schools average the scores and some only look at the most recent. Either way, a 36 the second time around is less impressive than a 36 on the first try.

Reactions: 1 users
Mayo is in striking distance, and Einstein better.

I recommend against a retake. You're more likely to go down, stay the same, or only go up 1-2 points, which isn't that big of an improvement.

Awesome thank you for your response.
I am retaking the MCAT in the next couple weeks, so hopefully I can increase my score.

With my current score, are Mayo or Albert Einstein out of the question?

Thanks for your encouraging words.
Hopefully this retake will get me into Ivy League range!
I think if I can get a 34-35, my chances would be much better although I am more than happy just to have the opportunity to go somewhere.

If you can score at least a 40 in a retake, you should be good for top schools

So probably not worth the retake?
What about NYU? Seems like it may be a stretch with only a 32...