3.94 GPA, 38 MCAT. Schools list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RussianFrolic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed because of upcoming app submission.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would add a couple more mid tiers, but your list looks good

What other mid-tiers are there that have good OOS percentage?

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I think you are one of the few that a shot at some of the UC's might be worth it, sure the odds are against OOS, but your stats are strong.

Thank you for the positive comment :). I guess the distance from home is the main factor that made me decide not to apply to most of those, but I'll look into them.

I think a couple you could lose are Alabama and UNC

Goro suggests (note: I think you'd be fine for any of the NYC schools). If distance is a factor, then delete the schools around the Great Lakes and BU. I think you chances at U MI will be > than U MD.

ALL FL schools
Boston University
Duke
Emory
Geisel School of Medicine
Harvard
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Johns Hopkins
NYU
Northwestern
UPenn
Stanford
Loyola
UChicago
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburg
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt
Washington University
Tulane
Yale
Baylor
USC

Thank you for the positive comment :). I guess the distance from home is the main factor that made me decide not to apply to most of those, but I'll look into them.
Ah then I wouldn't bother, most people want to move to CA but then realize you need really high stats to even have a shot as OOS and remove, I thought you belonged to that group. If it's regional preference, stick with more schools in that area you would like to be in.

Goro suggests (note: I think you'd be fine for any of the NYC schools). If distance is a factor, then delete the schools around the Great Lakes and BU. I think you chances at U MI will be > than U MD.

ALL FL schools
Boston University
Duke
Emory
Geisel School of Medicine
Harvard
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Johns Hopkins
NYU
Northwestern
UPenn
Stanford
Loyola
UChicago
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburg
University of Virginia
Vanderbilt
Washington University
Tulane
Yale
Baylor
USC

Just looked at OOS percent for U MD and wow it sucks. Definitely removing it.

A few questions:
You removed Columbia, was it just to skim down the number of NY schools? Or do they have something that might not work with what I want?

This will seem silly, but you mean USC as in the University of Southern Cali, right? I actually applied there for undergrad (got accepted), but decided to stay in Florida.

Should I really apply to all FL schools? I can't imagine going to Tally or UCF.

I'll think about Tulane, any reason you suggested it? I remember I was interested in Baylor (because Texas), but I think I removed them because of the OOS.

Ah then I wouldn't bother, most people want to move to CA but then realize you need really high stats to even have a shot as OOS and remove, I thought you belonged to that group. If it's regional preference, stick with more schools in that area you would like to be in.

Haha, well I wouldn't mind living in Cali eventually (minus the traffic), but I don't think my doggy would like the long flights... And any school that's super in-state loving (minus the schools in Florida), I've been marking off just to not have that stress on me.

Yes, and as I said, I think you'd be fine at any of the NYC schools, but I wanted to 'tier down" (if there is such a thing...Mt Sinai and NYU ARE just as good as Cornell or Columbia) the schools, hence my inclusion of NYU and Sinai on the list. Rochester is a fine school as well, and being a Russophile, you should appreciate the cold.

OOS chances at Baylor are ~20%...not too shabby. The food will be better around Tulane. Both Houston and New Orleans are hot an muggy, Miami is, at least, in your back yard.

You removed Columbia, was it just to skim down the number of NY schools? Or do they have something that might not work with what I want?

Your call. The sky's the limit for you.

I'll think about Tulane, any reason you suggested it? I remember I was interested in Baylor (because Texas), but I think I removed them because of the OOS.

Yes, and as I said, I think you'd be fine at any of the NYC schools, but I wanted to 'tier down" (if there is such a thing...Mt Sinai and NYU ARE just as good as Cornell or Columbia) the schools, hence my inclusion of NYU and Sinai on the list. Rochester is a fine school as well, and being a Russophile, you should appreciate the cold.

OOS chances at Baylor are ~20%...not too shabby. The food will be better around Tulane. Both Houston and New Orleans are hot an muggy, Miami is, at least, in your back yard.

Your call. The sky's the limit for you.

:) well I'm not sure if I will appreciate it too much after spending almost five years in a state that doesn't have winters, but it is NY so I don't think I would mind.

Hmm, I guess I should look at Baylor again. Food is always a good motivation!

Now a general for anyone to answer questions: is there any part of my app that might be lacking and I should work on before interviews? Note that I just finished soph year though which is why I don't have a lot of leadership roles.

More non-clinical service/ECs. I love the service dog visitation trips...that's very novel! The medical mission won't impress Adcoms; too many people use vacations or trips to visit the old country and try to palm that off as a "mission". So play up everything clinical that you did on this trip, and what you got out of it.

But so far, so great.

Now a general for anyone to answer questions: is there any part of my app that might be lacking and I should work on before interviews? Note that I just finished soph year though which is why I don't have a lot of leadership roles.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
More non-clinical service/ECs. I love the service dog visitation trips...that's very novel! The medical mission won't impress Adcoms; too many people use vacations or trips to visit the old country and try to palm that off as a "mission". So play up everything clinical that you did on this trip, and what you got out of it.

But so far, so great.

Now a general for anyone to answer questions: is there any part of my app that might be lacking and I should work on before interviews? Note that I just finished soph year though which is why I don't have a lot of leadership roles.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all your answers! Do the charity events/auctions count for the non-clinical service? I'm organizing a big one for my organization right now. I love doing the visits, you can't image how many people (not just patients) would walk up to me to pet him :). Great advice- any point in mentioning with what trip coordinator I went with? So that they have a better idea that it was legit.

Yes; organizing anything counts.

Do the charity events/auctions count for the non-clinical service? I'm organizing a big one for my organization right now. I love doing the visits, you can't image how many people (not just patients) would walk up to me to pet him :).

Can't hurt, especially if this person will write you a LOR. Add legitimacy.
Great advice- any point in mentioning with what trip coordinator I went with? So that they have a better idea that it was legit.[/QUOTE]

Yes; organizing anything counts.

Do the charity events/auctions count for the non-clinical service? I'm organizing a big one for my organization right now. I love doing the visits, you can't image how many people (not just patients) would walk up to me to pet him :).

Can't hurt, especially if this person will write you a LOR. Add legitimacy.
Great advice- any point in mentioning with what trip coordinator I went with? So that they have a better idea that it was legit.
[/QUOTE]

Great! I'll definitely mention that :). Thanks for all the advice!!!

Reactions: 1 user
New question:
Some medical schools (Mt. Sinai) say that you have to have completed 3 years of undergraduate, does anyone know if this is before applying or before matriculation?

Also, final school list (I still sort of want to remove a few since all those secondaries might kill me...):
UF
UMiami
Baylor
Boston
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Harvard (I'm a little put off by their no merit scholarships stance)
Icahn at Mt. Sinai
John Hopkins
Medical University of South Carolina
NYU
UPenn
UChicago
UMichigan
Vanderbilt
Washington University
Yale
Wake Forest
Weill Cornell