3.95 cGPA, 3.94sGPA, Unbalanced 32 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azngujuonfire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Breakdown PS/VR/BS was 12/6/14. Not ESL or URM. Florida resident so there's a handful of state schools. Working on secondaries now.

Summary of my ECs:
2 semesters (~60 hours) of tutoring a lab component of a research technique class
18 months (~175 hours) clinical experience at a hospital
7 months shadowing (~80) hours of shadowing a family doctor/primary care physician
~100 hours of various community service
Started a computer donation project with a friend of mine, donated 7 computers to families in need of one

I know the overwhelming bit of advice would be to retake. I don't know if i have it in me. Just started a nearly full time job, and there will be school as well. Neither is my mind in the right state to even begin reviewing again, even though my MCAT was recent (6/20/13). I tried everything to improve my verbal while I was studying. My scores ranged from 7-11, once getting an 11, once getting a 10, a couple of 9s and at the end started dipping into 8s and 7s which then carried into my test day.

What's frustrating is that on test day walked out feeling that it was the smoothest verbal section i had ever taken. I felt legitimately good about my answer choices, finished on time, didn't really feel rushed. Don't really know what happened.

So, what are my chances? Is it too late to apply to DO? I don't even know if I can get my letters into AACOMAS.

**EDIT**
Here is my school list, I'm an FL resident:
UCF
USF
UF
UM
FIU - secondary submitted 7/26
FAU - seconary submitted 7/26
Emory
University of Alabama
Several top 10 and 20 schools that I added before taking the MCAT, probably wont be submitting the secondaries

Any suggestions on other schools to add? I was thinking of adding Rosalind Franklin and maybe Wright State?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am afraind that you might get interviews, but then wait listed/rejected. Perhap take it on the chin this year and see how the app cycle goes with MD programs (if you haven't applied, it's getting LATE!) Then, if you're shut out, re-take next year (and prep for that VR section!)

You're fine for DO programs, which have a longer cycle.

I know the overwhelming bit of advice would be to retake. I don't know if i have it in me. Just started a nearly full time job, and there will be school as well. Neither is my mind in the right state to even begin reviewing again, even though my MCAT was recent (6/20/13).

I am afraind that you might get interviews, but then wait listed/rejected. Perhap take it on the chin this year and see how the app cycle goes with MD programs (if you haven't applied, it's getting LATE!) Then, if you're shut out, re-take next year (and prep for that VR section!)

You're fine for DO programs, which have a longer cycle.

I know the overwhelming bit of advice would be to retake. I don't know if i have it in me. Just started a nearly full time job, and there will be school as well. Neither is my mind in the right state to even begin reviewing again, even though my MCAT was recent (6/20/13).

That's exactly what my plan was when I got my score yesterday. I'll discuss with my advisor to see if he can send out my committee letter to aacomas. Thanks fie your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's exactly what my plan was when I got my score yesterday. I'll discuss with my advisor to see if he can send out my committee letter to aacomas. Thanks fie your input.

AACOMAS does not want your letter. Unlike AMCAS, AACOMAS does not store or send letters. Your adviser should send it to Interfolio, which will then allow you to send it to schools.

AACOMAS does not want your letter. Unlike AMCAS, AACOMAS does not store or send letters. Your adviser should send it to Interfolio, which will then allow you to send it to schools.

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks!

Breakdown PS/VR/BS was 12/6/14. Not ESL or URM. Florida resident so there's a handful of state schools. Working on secondaries now.

Summary of my ECs:
2 semesters (~60 hours) of tutoring a lab component of a research technique class
7 months shadowing (~80) hours of shadowing a family doctor/primary care physician
Started a computer donation project with a friend of mine, donated 7 computers to families in need of one

I know the overwhelming bit of advice would be to retake. I don't know if i have it in me. Just started a nearly full time job, and there will be school as well. Neither is my mind in the right state to even begin reviewing again, even though my MCAT was recent (6/20/13). I tried everything to improve my verbal while I was studying. My scores ranged from 7-11, once getting an 11, once getting a 10, a couple of 9s and at the end started dipping into 8s and 7s which then carried into my test day.

What's frustrating is that on test day walked out feeling that it was the smoothest verbal section i had ever taken. I felt legitimately good about my answer choices, finished on time, didn't really feel rushed. Don't really know what happened.

So, what are my chances? Is it too late to apply to DO? I don't even know if I can get my letters into AACOMAS.

**EDIT**
UCF
USF
UF
UM
Emory
University of Alabama
Several top 10 and 20 schools that I added before taking the MCAT, probably wont be submitting the secondaries

Any suggestions on other schools to add? I was thinking of adding Rosalind Franklin and maybe Wright State?

Hey I am in a similar situation (almost identical). I was wondering if you would be willing to share how the application cycle went for you. Thank you!

Summary of my ECs:

**EDIT**
UCF
USF
UF
UM
Emory
University of Alabama

There's actually a forum for this, surprisingly entitled: What Are My Chances...

Hey I am in a similar situation (almost identical). I was wondering if you would be willing to share how the application cycle went for you. Thank you!

Hey PremedToronto. I received one interview invite late January to The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, and was waitlisted two weeks later and am still on the waitlist. I'm more focused now on the next/current cycle, as I should be. It would be great if I got a last minute call though!

There's actually a forum for this, surprisingly entitled: What Are My Chances...

I thought I posted in the WAMC Forum? Look up and you'll see that i'm in the "What Are My Chances" Sub-forum of the "Pre-Medical Allopathic [MD]" sub-forum...

Why is it likely that that op will get wait listed? He seems to have pretty good stats, is it just because of the uneven distribution on the MCAT?

Why is it likely that that op will get wait listed? He seems to have pretty good stats, is it just because of the uneven distribution on the MCAT?

Hey. OP here. My two most educated guesses as to why I ended up being waitlisted (and at this point, reapplying) are:
  1. Uneven MCAT distribution/low VR score and
  2. No research
My ECs aren't that competitive, probably middle of the pack at best. I've been working hard on my VR test-taking though, so we'll see after my Aug 27th retake.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey. OP here. My two most educated guesses as to why I ended up being waitlisted (and at this point, reapplying) are:
  1. Uneven MCAT distribution/low VR score and
  2. No research
My ECs aren't that competitive, probably middle of the pack at best. I've been working hard on my VR test-taking though, so we'll see after my Aug 27th retake.

I see, well best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user