3.95 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, 35 MCAT - weak ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lumpyduster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have posted here months ago I think, but now I have my MCAT score back and I'm trying to decide what to improve before I apply. I'm interested in research-heavy schools, but definitely do not want to do MD/PhD (too long and I want to mostly see patients but I'd like to maybe have a research project on the side or something, I don't know, it's ages away anyway).

I guess I'd like to know if there's anything I can do to improve my chances at the top schools; I know my numbers will open the door but I feel like my EC's do nothing to make me stand out.

Numbers:
3.95 cGPA, 4.0 sGPA, 35 (11/11/13) MCAT

Chemistry major/math minor (it's practically a major but I refuse to take real analysis). Graduate May 2015. Applying either summer 2015 or summer 2016.

ECs:

1. Research - ~20 hr/wk; ~60 hr/wk in the summers
AKA "My abusive SO." Project rarely shows me any love and yet I keep coming back for more. Worked on roughly 3 projects. One was under a grad student; mostly sample prep and aligning the microscope from hell. Next I worked closely under/with a postdoc on some drug delivery system - very cool, got nice results that I presented at a conference. PI was surprised it went anywhere, but pulled me off the project to chase after the strangest/most innovative idea I've ever heard. Nothing publishable came of that drug delivery system because no one works on it (I guess I could, but where is the time?). Anyway, I've been flying solo on project #3 for a year now. I need about 1 more experiment to work, according to the postdoc, and then I can start writing a little baby article! Would really love to see this published. I feel like it's been moving sooooo slowly and I'm often very disappointed with the lack of results/support from other lab members (another story for another day).
TLDR; 2.5 years, 1 poster, many tears

2. Tutoring/teaching ~ 5 hr/wk (2 years)
I've tutored for about 2 years (chemistry and math mostly). Was selected as an AI for a chem class (really rare - they almost always rely on grad students) this semester and I hope to teach again next semester.

3. Underserved clinic volunteer ~ 3hr/wk every other week (about 1 year)
Work behind a desk checking in patients. It's alright.

4. Hospice ~ 3hr/wk (started this summer)
Chatting with/cleaning/moving patient - also do some chores around the house. I've been peed on, spat on, shat on... you name the fluid I've probably come across it.

5. Boys and Girls Club 3 hr/wk for 1.5 years; did not volunteer this semester but will in the spring
Mostly just hanging out with kids and making sure they don't get into trouble haha.

6. Others
Bio club, chem club, hospital volunteer for a summer when I was at home (~50 hours)

7. Interesting hobbies? No.

Shadowing - mostly internal medicine and its subspecialties - 100 hr

Members don't see this ad.

What part of this application is weak exactly? Sounds like top tier to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Peer leadership?
I kind of figured this would be suggested. Being an AI kind of falls under that category but it's not the same thing as my friends that are the heads of their committees. I'll see if I can somehow work that into next semester or my gap year so I can at least talk about it in my interviews. I wish I would have tried a bit harder to stick with a club long enough to get a leadership position haha, oh well. Thanks Catalystik!

What part of this application is weak exactly? Sounds like top tier to me.
Thank you! I suppose I am comparing myself to my peers who are applying now. A lot of them have very good numbers and a ton of ECs/leadership. Maybe I shouldn't be comparing myself to them but I try to be realistic about things.

7. Interesting hobbies? No.
This is concerning. Without hobbies, you are a cookie cutter applicant. You need this. A common question is, " What do you do in your free time?" If you say research/studying/volunteering you are doing it wrong.

This is concerning. Without hobbies, you are a cookie cutter applicant. You need this. A common question is, " What do you do in your free time?" If you say research/studying/volunteering you are doing it wrong.
Well, I wouldn't say I spend alllll my time "working." But I suppose when it the time comes to relax I'm not out there preparing for triathlons. I like to hang out with my friends, watch tv, read, go to the gym. And, yeah, that's not interesting haha. A lot of the older people have told me to make sure I have time during my gap year to explore a new hobby, so I think your comment really reinforced this idea. I don't think I'm boring in real life, but, yeah, on paper I do look a bit boring.

Well, I wouldn't say I spend alllll my time "working." But I suppose when it the time comes to relax I'm not out there preparing for triathlons. I like to hang out with my friends, watch tv, read, go to the gym. And, yeah, that's not interesting haha. A lot of the older people have told me to make sure I have time during my gap year to explore a new hobby, so I think your comment really reinforced this idea. I don't think I'm boring in real life, but, yeah, on paper I do look a bit boring.

Reading is definitely considered a hobby. What exactly do you do to stay in shape? Maybe something "interesting" like rock climbing, biking, swimming, etc.?

You could try to pick up an instrument (ukulele, guitar, etc.), maybe start writing if that's something you think you'll like, cooking (enter a cooking competition!), etc.

Reactions: 1 user

Yeah I don't really have interesting hobbies either. I feel like I better get one before I apply lol.

I didn't think any part of your application was weak

Your application isn't particularly weak, for mid-tier schools, maybe some bottom of the top tier, many of which do have good solid research opportunities. However, with that being said if you're interested in the cream of the crop such as WashU, Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, Yale etc... you definitely need some peer leadership and something a little more interesting hobbies wise if you want a chance. It's incredible and crazy the amount of ECs you kids have applying to med school with these days...

Wow you have great stats and, on paper, great ECs. I wouldn't hesitate to apply to at least a few top programs - it seems like your acceptance will hang on how well you can sell yourself in your application, because on paper you seem quite well rounded.

Reading, running, hiking, sports etc. are definitely all valid hobbies, as long as you actually do them consistently and not once in a blue moon.

You could also mention any jobs you have had! Also be sure to include the hospital volunteering, even if it was only for 1 summer. I think your app overall looks great.