3.95 cGPA, 516 MCAT - Help with School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janeteyre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

Long time lurker, (almost) first post.

I recently received my MCAT scores, and would like some advice on where to go from here, and what schools I should take a look at.
  • MCAT: 516 CP: 130 CARS: 129 BBC: 128 PS: 129
  • cGPA: 3.95 sGPA: 3.97
  • ORM (asian)
  • 3rd year undergrad in NJ, B.S. in Molecular Biology
  • EMT on Rescue Squad ~3yrs, 12hr/week.
  • Shadowing: 20hr for cardiologist.
  • Research: 1 year in microbiology lab -> 1 poster. 1 year in protein engineering lab -> 1 poster. Co-authorships may arise out of both projects. Probably will do an undergraduate honors thesis by the end of the year.
  • Tutor for underprivileged high school students (SAT Prep, Physics, Chem, Biology), 1 semester.
  • Tutor (paid) at university tutoring center, 1 semester.
  • Laboratory assistant (paid) at biotechnology firm, 1 year.
  • Editor for an undergraduate bioethics journal, 1 year.
Thanks for all of the help you guys have given to me. I've been walking on this path for several years now. The knowledge, insight and collective experience of this community has helped me a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Invest in MSAR
2) Identify schools with stats closest to yours. Assume you have a 3.95/34-35 when going through MSAR. Pay attention to % of IS vs OOS matriculants(ie don't throw applications at schools like U of Wash OOS).
3) A good list of schools for you would be your state schools(every school in NJ), a couple OOS lower tiers(think schools with 30-33 MCAT medians that take a fair number OOS), about a half dozen or so schools with 34-35 MCAT medians(think a school like Rochester), and then maybe a half dozen or so top 2o reaches(however many reaches you want is irrelevant as long as you cover your bases with lower and middle tier options).
4) Dig through MSAR and come back with a list and you'll get good feedback.