3.95 cGPA, 517 MCAT. School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AvacadosAtLaw

Gesticulating Wildly
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions for possible schools or if there are any potential glaring holes in my application. I'm mostly concerned that I seem a little cookie cutter, but I'm hopeful that my essays will help with that because I feel I've had some interesting experiences. I won't be applying until next year.

URM
GPA: 3.95
MCAT: 517
Research: 500 hours over 2 years. No publications but I've done poster presentations.
ECs:
Scribe- 1000+ hours
Clinic volunteering- 100 hours at underserved free clinics
Shadowing- 50 hours
Volunteer with campus peer health group- 400 hours
Freshman mentor program- 80 hours
Intramural basketball- 3 years

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Daredevil was a great show. Hopefully we'll see another season

Reactions: 1 user
Daredevil was a great show. Hopefully we'll see another season
Haha this was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. There's supposed to be another season coming out it 2016. They have a trailer for it and everything. I'm super excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I haven't heard anything, but now I'm excited lol. As for URM, which community do you represent?

My advice should come second to the more knowledgable folks on here, but I'd say if you beef up the clinical hours a little bit, you are looking like a really strong candidate.

IF your race is truly under represented in medicine apply to your state programs and any private schools of your choice.

If you are not considered a URM for medical school admission purposes(like for ex many Hispanic communities aren't) identify schools with stats close to yours in MSAR(assume you have a 3.95/35). A good list would probably include state programs, maybe a couple OOS lower tiers, 6-8 medium tier type schools(think something like Rochester with a 34-35 MCAT median) and then your choice of top 20 reaches to round out your list based on however many secondaries you are willing to fill out.

Aim high. I suggest:

Harvard

Wash U

Yale

Stanford

U Chicago

U Penn

U VA (maybe)

U MI (maybe)
U Colorado
U VM

U WI
Ohio State

Jefferson
U IA
UCLA OR UCSD OR UCI
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions for possible schools or if there are any potential glaring holes in my application. I'm mostly concerned that I seem a little cookie cutter, but I'm hopeful that my essays will help with that because I feel I've had some interesting experiences. I won't be applying until next year.

URM
GPA: 3.95
MCAT: 517
Research: 500 hours over 2 years. No publications but I've done poster presentations.
ECs:
Scribe- 1000+ hours
Clinic volunteering- 100 hours at underserved free clinics
Shadowing- 50 hours
Volunteer with campus peer health group- 400 hours
Freshman mentor program- 80 hours
Intramural basketball- 3 years

Thanks!