DO 3.95 GPA, 25 MCAT, decent EC's, chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJ Doctor8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to get some help. I'll be applying this cycle, Day 1, and wanted to know what my chances are. 3.95 overall and science GPA from a small LAC. 25 MCAT 9 (PS), 8 (VR), 8 (BS). I am Coptic Egyptian, NJ resident. Some of my EC's are:
EMS
shadow and volunteer
Research in Neurophysiology
Research in Chemistry
tutored disadvantaged students (EOF)
mentored underprivileged students (Upward Bound)
Community Service with Church
President Pre-Med Club

Shooting for RowanSOM, PCOM, NYIT-COM, and TouroCOM-NY.

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a 3.95 GPA, why not just take ~2 months and retake MCAT, hit ~35 and be competitive for many MD programs (not just DO)?

Your GPA is phenomenal and your EC's look great considering you have a solid leadership position along and research coupled with helping the disadvantaged and church community services. Even though your MCAT is on the low side for the DO schools you're shooting for, you have a lot to compensate for it and you also have a very balanced MCAT, nothing is under 8 so that could definitely work in your favor. I think if you really apply early in the cycle along with solid LORs and a solid PS you have a very GOOD chance at those schools, especially Rowan because you're an NJ resident. I think you're going to be just fine for this cycle, finish this semester strong and apply early and you'll be fine.

Also make sure you understand Osteopathic medicine/philosophy to make sure schools understand that this isn't a second option or something for you. If you do this cycle correctly, you'll get interviews everywhere and acceptances in most places. Good luck my man.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats look great I think you should be fine for all DO schools

Your GPA is absolutely fantastic. I know for Rowan SOM they have an average MCAT of around a 28 last year so you are not far off and well above their average GPA to compensate. In addition to this you are in-state and have some excellent extra curriculars backing you up. I see you in a great position for this upcoming application cycle! I am unsure on the averages of the other schools,but the same should apply across the board since you have other experiences helping you out.

I wish you the best of luck! Hope you get in! Also, electrophysiology wooo! Its all about getting that seal :p

That was very comforting and helpful, thank you everyone!

Can anyone give me some feedback? I am a black Puerto Rican moved to the US when I was 9. I have a 3.7 (Would be higher but transferred a C from high school biology course. Only A's in college biology courses) GPA with a 25 MCAT (9V, 9BS, 7 PS). I certainly felt like I did better in my BS section but scores didn't report that. Retaking MCAT and hoping for 28+. Texas resident.
-I have more than 400 hours of research in both biochemistry and microbiology
-Medical Mission trip to south america (Translated between the patients and health professionals)
-Other mission trips in the states and mexico (all throughout junior high, high school, and now college)
-300+ Hours of shadowing (nurses and different specialty physicians in OR)
-Working as a student advisor
-Taking care of autistic children for a foundation while parents had counseling. (10 hours-current)
-Hospital Volunteer (30 hours)
-Member of Rugby League (6 months, out because of injury during school)
-Member of Latin dancing teaching company (1 year)
-Non-clinical community service (50-100 hours)
-Three 5K races (love running with music)
-Fluent in both English and Spanish
-Intramurals (Soccer and In-door Volleyball for two years.)
-Dean's least all throughout college.

Please give me some feedback. I am retaking my mcat because I do not want to rely on my URM for any acceptances and really believe I can do much better. I am not worried for I will retake as many times possible during this year in order to get it. I have also shadowed DO's and not really looking towards that route. Have received advise from them, that more doors are open for MD's at the time and they don't truly get to practice their special training in musculoskeletal practice. Not planning on returning to study to PR, only to visit my family when available.