3.95 GPA, 35 MCAT, limited volunteer exp, got a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adamg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that I am going to have to apply in 2009 for fall 2010 entrance and am a bit disappointed to lose a year. However, if I am rejected from all schools I apply to then I don't know if I can handle it, ( apply again for 2011 but if you fail again? Then dream of medicine is finished because you need to start a career)

So here are my stats, please let me know if I got a good shot of getting in anywhere.

3.97 GPA with 1 semester left, my Science GPA is 3.93 and I am hoping to be able to get an A- in physics 2, Bio chem and an A in medical terminology, thus finishing me at 3.95 GPA total and 3.9 science GPA.

I am currently studying for the MCAT and thing that I can get 11 PS, 12 BS 12 VR, (perhaps 13 on VR) for 35 total, (36 if I rock a 13 VR) 35 MCAT is in the top 1% of 2007 matriculants and 36 is in top .2% of 2007 matriculants.

My EC are limited to ER volunteering and I hope to be able to shadow some of the docs who work there as well.

After I finish my semester I hope to get a job with ACR working with disabled individuals to add further clinical experience.

As for my personal statement I feel that I can hit it out of the park because of an experience I had in the ER talking to a grandmother with cancer.

It was the most moving experience of my life, (I brings tears whenever I recall it) and cemented my desire to devote my life to the service of others in a medical capacity.

After I have finished this semester I will study my ass of for the MCAT, (planning of finishing Exam Krackers review and verbal 101 as well as practice essay, 3 real MCATs this summer, 4 Real MCATS before the actual test in january)

Any ideas as to much chances?

The schools I will defintely apply to: (Most based on being able to drive to interview)

Good chance schools(I hope)

U of Minnesota Twin Cities, (I am a MN resident and it seems like most state schools do favor locals)
U of Iowa Carver
U of Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin
U of North Dakota
U of South Dakota

Long Shot

Harvard Med ( would be cool as hell to get in but acceptance rate is 3% and 57% of matriculants are minorities so actuall chance is closer to 2% for a white guy)

Safety school: Public Minnesota School focused on rural family med, (I am interested in internal and or family practice) with average GPA for matriculants 28.2 and GPA 3.62,

U of Minnesota Duluth: though the acceptance rate is actually lower than U of M TC, 4.36% for Duluth and 5.92% for TC.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll do fine and you're doing great, especially with the schools you listed. I'd actually try to be more ambitious and apply to some top10, top20 schools. Top schools are kind of longshots for everybody so for guys with good numbers like you it never hurts to apply as long as you cover your bases with safety schools (which you have).

Actually my advice is more life advice than medical school advice. Try to lighten up a little. Your post comes off a little desperate to be an MD. (Watch for that in your app essays. Medical schools want to see medicine as a natural evolution of your life's journey not some desperate quest. I've talked to med admissions people and their are two common mistakes that chill them to applicants in essays. 1) The aloof, great numbers, casual tone. 2) The overly enthusiastic, desperate, I must be a doctor, must be one or else I'm nothing, and I must be one now tone.

I understand that everyone wants to get into medical school that applies and is eager to start there career right away. But remember a good medical career is a 30 year endeavor. You're committing to lifelong learning. It's a marathon not a sprint. Remember if you want to a doctor you'll be one. You are almost definitely getting in next year, but if you don't, don't stress. You'll get the next year or next. And honestly, you'll probably be a better doctor for it.

35 MCAT is in the top 1% of 2007 matriculants and 36 is in top .2% of 2007 matriculants.
I think you've got your percentages screwed up. A 35 was in the top 5-7% of MCAT takers which means it was an even lower percentile where matriculants are concerned. However, it's still an excellent score. I think you'll have a good chance of getting an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think its really hard to predict your mcat score as the practice ones will give you different numbers. thats not to say that you wont make it but it could be lower or higher depending on a number of factors. but since you are applying in a year you have plenty of time to get some more clinical experience. i would say find somewhere to volunteer right away.

i think its really hard to predict your mcat score as the practice ones will give you different numbers. thats not to say that you wont make it but it could be lower or higher depending on a number of factors. but since you are applying in a year you have plenty of time to get some more clinical experience. i would say find somewhere to volunteer right away.

yeah, i wouldnt aim for such a specific number for the mcat, its setting yourself up for a possible disappointment. I got 2 points lower than my average test scores for the last 2 months of studying, i think there's a lot of luck and variability involved

You seem to be a very competitive candidate numbers-wise, your GPA is great and you seem to be on your way to a good MCAT score. Ther are couple thing I want to address though...

You said you picked many of the schools you applied to based on driving distance. My first question is that are you limited to interviewing at schools because you are unable to fly to them for cost reasons? or would you liek to stick to specific geographic region? I think it is premature to limit where you apply based on the travel expenses, you should expand your options to some top 20 med schools (even if they are further away) since you seem to stand a good shot at them. Dropping 300 dollars on a plane ticket to a interview at a more competitive med school that is further away will be well worth it if you get in.
Second, you seem to be very driven towards a career in medicine-which is good, but dont get too hung up on it. Like nontradfogie said it comes off as a little desperate, which is a huge turnoff in interviews. (I know I am at a top 20 medical school and interview applicants). Dont get me wrong, it is good to be driven and want to medicine but don't making getting into medical school your entire life. When I talk to students I want to see that they have thought about other occupations besides medicine and why in light of explorations into other occupations they still are interested in medicine. I want to make sure people know what exactly they are getting in to, medicine isn't just about saving lives and caring for other, you have to, pardon my language, "shovel a lot of **** too" in dealing with financing, politics, insurance, etc... When you write your essays and interview make sure that you get across that you know exactly what you are getting into and that you understand both the positive and negative aspects in medicine.

I had similar numbers and went to the University of Minnesota. Maybe my MDapps profile can help.